I know I'm doing correctly?

Bike
2000 ST1100
Yesterday I changed my coolant after 4 years usage in my 2000 ST1100. My procedure was to open the pet cock on the radiator and remove the radiator cap and let it drain out. Then I took my old cut off car heater hose and performed the blowing out of any coolant still left in the coolant system. The old coolant was still nice and blue so I did not bother with a flush. So I got my Gallon of Honda type 2 coolant and slowly filled it up to the lower filler neck. Then I removed the overflow tank and cleaned it and filled it up to the max line mark. Then I started it up with the radiator cap off and blipped the throttle to help remove air out of the system. Let it get hot and a few bubbles came out but the level keep rising and overflowing out the radiator filler neck so I put the cap back on and let it run till the fan cycles twice. All the air must have not gotten out cause I saw air bubbles coming out the overflow line into the coolant reservoir. Went for a ride and noticed on the right side it feels a little warmer than the left side don't know why its doing this now. Seems that it feels a little hotter than before coolant change. Last 2 times I've changed the coolant I've ran across this problem. Just asking you guy's that have a ST1100 service manual is this the correct way to do it? Thanks in advance. Oh btw the temp guage acts normally as in the same way it did before I changed the coolant.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I think you did just fine- as long as it’s not showing higher on the needle and you purged the air from the system to the best of your ability, I think you’re good- as far as feeling one side more warm than the other, I have no explanation for that but highly doubt it’s from the way you changed the coolant. When I tore mine down in 2017, I did the same process. The little residual coolant in the block is such a small volume as to be irrelevant. Many will advise that here vs taking out the block plugs which is a lager undertaking for such a small coolant volume. As long as you’re not running hot as indicated on the temp needle, ride on!

Bike
VStrom 650
If it was I, and I know it's a PITA, I would check the radiator again as opposed to just the reservoir bottle.
But I also agree with Erdoc, if it's not overheating, leaking or misbehaving, just ride would be OK.
You could have become hyper sensitive to the temperature differences just because you've done the work.
It happens.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
Bike
2000 ST1100
If it was I, and I know it's a PITA, I would check the radiator again as opposed to just the reservoir bottle.
But I also agree with Erdoc, if it's not overheating, leaking or misbehaving, just ride would be OK.
You could have become hyper sensitive to the temperature differences just because you've done the work.
It happens.
Upt'North.
Did that after it cooled down. Coolant was right at the filler neck.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Yesterday I changed my coolant after 4 years usage in my 2000 ST1100. My procedure was to open the pet cock on the radiator and remove the radiator cap and let it drain out. Then I took my old cut off car heater hose and performed the blowing out of any coolant still left in the coolant system. The old coolant was still nice and blue so I did not bother with a flush. So I got my Gallon of Honda type 2 coolant and slowly filled it up to the lower filler neck. Then I removed the overflow tank and cleaned it and filled it up to the max line mark. Then I started it up with the radiator cap off and blipped the throttle to help remove air out of the system. Let it get hot and a few bubbles came out but the level keep rising and overflowing out the radiator filler neck so I put the cap back on and let it run till the fan cycles twice. All the air must have not gotten out cause I saw air bubbles coming out the overflow line into the coolant reservoir. Went for a ride and noticed on the right side it feels a little warmer than the left side don't know why its doing this now. Seems that it feels a little hotter than before coolant change. Last 2 times I've changed the coolant I've ran across this problem. Just asking you guy's that have a ST1100 service manual is this the correct way to do it? Thanks in advance. Oh btw the temp guage acts normally as in the same way it did before I changed the coolant.
Did you let it warm up to operating temperature before blipping the throttle to burp the air out?
If not, it sounds like you still have air in the system.
And the folks who blow out coolant, always seem to have this happen to them.
Better/safer for the coolant systems to flush out properly, rather than force more air into the system.

OP
OP
Bike
2000 ST1100
Did you let it warm up to operating temperature before blipping the throttle to burp the air out?
If not, it sounds like you still have air in the system.
And the folks who blow out coolant, always seem to have this happen to them.
Better/safer for the coolant systems to flush out properly, rather than force more air into the system.
Yep I let it warm up for about 5 minutes until it got hot and coolant kept spilling out of the filler neck. Then I capped it. I seen air bubbles going to the overflow bottle. Was that the system trying to purge itself?

Top Bottom