I need a new camera -- seeking wisdom

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
So I need a new camera to carry in rallies and I am looking for suggestions. My critieria:

Must: continuous file naming/numbering, AA batteries, uses SD cards.

Would be nice: small, inexpensive, a brand I've heard of, sturdy, weather resistant

Any recommendations?

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Take a look at the Fuji Finepix or Panasonic Lumix ranges. Handle lots of cameras to find the one that feels right for you. Ask friends and family to see what they use.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
So I need a new camera to carry in rallies and I am looking for suggestions.
Would be nice: small, weather resistant
Did a bit of digging and the my camera came in #3 for a waterproof camera for 2021

So I need a new camera to carry in rallies and I am looking for suggestions. My critieria:

Would be nice: small, inexpensive, a brand I've heard of, sturdy, weather resistant

Any recommendations?
You never mentioned budget.

Also, and to be clear, weatherproof and weather resistant are two different things - what type of weather protection do you require?

st1300doug

I love my Sony W830. 20.1mp, fast Sony lens, 8X zoom, and has ZEISS Glass. The best in the Industry. Image Stabilization too. Only $99.99 on Amazon. Features many formats for special photo scenes. Very small. A true pocket camera. Does great Video too. (1080P) Hard to beat.

Attachments

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I have had good luck with the 2 Panasonic Lumix's point and shoots that I have. They use a Leica lens. Not sure Panasonic has one that meets all your requirements.

Bike
VStrom 650
They don't meet all your requirements but if a viewfinder is important try the Sony HX80/90.
A great multi zoom that goes forever on a charge and an optically corrective viewfinder.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
jodog
Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
You never mentioned budget.

Also, and to be clear, weatherproof and weather resistant are two different things - what type of weather protection do you require?
Will survive a deluge, but does not have to be submersed in water. You know, like on a motorcycle trip.

OP
OP
jodog
Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I love my Sony W830. 20.1mp, fast Sony lens, 8X zoom, and has ZEISS Glass. The best in the Industry. Image Stabilization too. Only $99.99 on Amazon. Features many formats for special photo scenes. Very small. A true pocket camera. Does great Video too. (1080P) Hard to beat.
Thanks for the suggestion, but that one doesn't appear to be weather, shock, or dust resistant. How long does the battery last?

OP
OP
jodog
Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just picked up a RICOH WD-70 last month
I get a new RICOH every 2 years for work.
Must be on my 8th one.
Pretty solid looking camera. Found them as low as $246. How long does the battery go before recharge necessary?

st1300doug

Thanks for the suggestion, but that one doesn't appear to be weather, shock, or dust resistant. How long does the battery last?
Closes w/a dust shield. Shock? Dropped it 4 ft. several times....all good. I don't use it attached to the bike or in the rain. But- flat awesome pics. Battery is 'internal' but....I've done quite a few #250+ frames on one charge. Just uses the 'download' PC cord. NiCad.........I'm sure it'll do many, many pic. I use 'fill-in' flash 80% of the time too.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
What kind of smartphone do you have? Or do you want to use this as an excuse to buy a smartphone?

I have a Panasonic Lumix and a Canon EOS digital SLR sitting on the table...unused. My smartphone camera is easy to carry everywhere and takes pictures that appear to be better than either.

Just a thought... You can keep costs down by purchasing a refurbished model of last years model. And if you don't want to activate it with your cell phone carrier, you can still use it as a camera and GPS.

Chris

OP
OP
jodog
Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just picked up a RICOH WD-70 last month
I get a new RICOH every 2 years for work.
Must be on my 8th one.
What kind of smartphone do you have? Or do you want to use this as an excuse to buy a smartphone?

I have a Panasonic Lumix and a Canon EOS digital SLR sitting on the table...unused. My smartphone camera is easy to carry everywhere and takes pictures that appear to be better than either.

Just a thought... You can keep costs down by purchasing a refurbished model of last years model. And if you don't want to activate it with your cell phone carrier, you can still use it as a camera and GPS.

Chris
Iron Butt Rally rules allow only SD cards to be submitted for scoring, and there are rules about the file numbering system. Much simpler to buy a camera. Do you have the current model lumix?

B

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
My Lumix is several years old now. Once I got my Note 4 years ago, I soon quit using a standalone camera.

FWIW, smartphones will often allow you to store your photo files on an SD card. But I can definitely see why you'd want the current Lumix cameras. I thought you were talking about just walking around taking pics at one of the local ST rallies, not an Iron Butt Rally.

Chris

OP
OP
jodog
Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I thought one of your requirements was the camera should use AA batteries? (which will be difficult to find)
Yes, that was a criteria. Then I decided that it was either buy a much older model OR buy three of the rechargables and swap them out like you would AAs.

Yes, that was a criteria. Then I decided that it was either buy a much older model OR buy three of the rechargables and swap them out like you would AAs.
Sadly, I deleted my original post after I re-read your requirements.

So, let's see if I can recreate the original

a) Olympus Tough TG-6

b) Nikon Coolpix W300

Done.

Top Bottom