I need the specs on our front rotors, found an offshore mfg...

chiller

Chowdah Ridah
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Forgot
I found this ebay store for a mfg in china who makes brake rotors it looks like for alot of different bike models. Here's the vendor link, he makes ST1100 brakes as well, looks similar to the Galfer petal style rotors to me...: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Honda-ST1100-A-Pan-European-Front-Brake-Rotor-96-01_W0QQitemZ250535675151QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3a5517050f

I emailed him asking if he will be making the ones for the ST1300 or not, he emailed me back asking me to confirm this info below, can anyone confirm this?

Outside diameter:290 mm
Inside diameter: 64 mm
Thickness: 5 mm
Number of Holes: 5
Diameter: 10.5 mm
Boltpattern: 86 mm
Height: 19.5mm

I'm guessing he's got the wrong info, because the diameter from the Honda site says we have 310mm discs which is why I think the rest of his info is incorrect.

My stock rotors are right now at 95k, and are not at the service limit yet. But hell at this price of $60 per rotor, I could change rotors twice or 3 times as often if I wanted to for the cost of an OE rotor... comments also appreciated ...

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
But hell at this price of $60 per rotor, I could change rotors twice or 3 times as often if I wanted to for the cost of an OE rotor...
At $60 per rotor, you may have to change them twice or three times as often. Not only does that bring you back up to the cost of an OE rotor, it doubles or triples the cost of your time to swap them out.

--Mark

scootac

Will Ride for Food
I found this ebay store for a mfg in china .....

I'm guessing he's got the wrong info, because the diameter from the Honda site says we have 310mm discs which is why I think the rest of his info is incorrect...........

But hell at this price of $60 per rotor, I could change rotors twice or 3 times as often if I wanted to for the cost of an OE rotor... comments also appreciated ...
You asked for comments, here I go.
This is what pi$$es me off about "offshore" manufacturers!!!!:mad::mad::mad:
They will make anything a customer wants, as long as the customer supplies all the specs (that were developed by somebody else!), MAYBE they will be to spec, MAYBE they won't. They TELL you it's made from the same "hi-quality" material. Do you believe them??? They will copy products from OEM or whoever without any of the costs of R&D, inventory supply or warranty back-up. Granted it may be made in an ISO 9001 factory, whatever the Hell good that does you. :roll:
How do you expect new/better products to come down the pipe if a company puts time/money/effort into something, only to have "offshore" companies "reverse engineer" it 3 months later and offer it for 1/3 price or less?????
You could change rotors 2-3 times for the same price? You'll probably have to.
Yea, I know Japan used to be like China is now. For me, I'll wait till it DOES become like Japan. But, I think they're going to be in the copycat mode for a looong time. Because it's so profitable for them,,,,,
And I'll buy elsewhere if I have the choice. Sadly though, that option is disappearing.

You asked for comments, those are mine.
Good Luck!!!

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
They will copy products from OEM or whoever without any of the costs of R&D, inventory supply or warranty back-up. ... How do you expect new/better products to come down the pipe if a company puts time/money/effort into something, only to have "offshore" companies "reverse engineer" it 3 months later and offer it for 1/3 price or less?????
You mean like those 79-cent fairing rivets at the local big-box hardware store that people love to buy because the OEMs are too expensive at $3.00 each?

--Mark

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
You've got 95k on the OE's. How many miles are you going to put on the bike? If one more set gets another 95k, that takes you to 200k. 200k is a lot of miles. If the $60 ones happen to crack or fail under pressure and you live through it, who will be there to stand behind the product? I would be scared of the $60 ones.

OP
OP

chiller

Chowdah Ridah
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Forgot
I suppose its a matter of personal opinion if you trust it or not ... I was trying to keep an eye on a set from Ebay to see if anything turned up but it seems we have enough competent ST pilots that there aren't any taken apart ST's with rotors floating around... I think stock OE rotors are $200+ each new, I figure that for $60 I could at least get 40k on it, so end up with a net savings ... but I still need someone to confirm whether or not the dimension are correct or not , I suspect they are wrong since the diameters are off...

I suppose there's alot of pressure to not buy offshore stuff of late, but half the stuff here in NorthAmerica is made offshore these days... I wouldn't be surprised if the stuff that's got final assembly in Japan is made from stock made in some other country ...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
wow, $270-ish per OEM rotor... yeow..

Find a bike salvage yard or check ebay... you could probably get a whole wheel for a lot less and maybe a decent tire with it.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I've put Chinese made rotors on some of my cages. Not noticeable issues with them. Sometimes that's all the local auto parts house has.

My 98 ST has a little over 100k on it and during my recent overhaul I mic'd the both front rotors and found them both to be very close to 4mm - which is the minimum.

I found a set on eBAY which I bought for $85 plus shipping

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I agree that fleabay is a good alternative. I picked up a front wheel, with rotors, and a good tire, and an axle all for about $125.00 including shipping. This is not to say they are there constantly. You have to keep on it and wait for a good deal to come along.

Bike
'08 Varadero
STOC #
Somethings you have to have faith in. Brake rotors like tires are one of those things, call me foolish but im spending on a brand name made from good stock material. EBC, Brembo, Factory Honda whatever but im putting decent brake parts my bikes. You put second rate tires on your bike ???

I put on some metalgear branded rotors on the ST11 (police non-abs). The originals were gone at 100,000kms. Also running the metalgear brake pads. Can't tell any difference performance wise, brake pads are probably close to OEM as not as aggressive as ferodo pads. There is a rarity of second hands parts for the ST11 down here, as there are virtually no bikes around with low kms on them.

I have other parts on the bike made offshore, place called USA....

Stump

Site Supporter
Bike
VFR1200X
STOC #
I love the fact that everthing is from our own point of view.. and that others don't have that same POV. Well said. I'm not sure I could afford a "Made in America" rotor.... if one was ever available.

I have other parts on the bike made offshore, place called USA....

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I love the fact that everthing is from our own point of view.. and that others don't have that same POV. Well said. I'm not sure I could afford a "Made in America" rotor.... if one was ever available.
LOL...yeah, US Citizens...don't get out much.

ST_SHP

Parting a wrecked '91
Bike
1991 ST1100-UJM
I'm a year late to this thread, but in my rebuild thread (linked in my sig), I priced some front rotors via the software program emachine shop. If someone had a couple grand to invest, a group purchase would really cut the cost per rotor. As far as I know, these would be machined in the USA out of one of several materials (cast iron being cheapest).

OP
OP

chiller

Chowdah Ridah
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Forgot
Well I never did get the specs, and I got lazy so I didn't change them. So I rode the rest of the summer with them and they are now at 125k :D I have to go measure it one of these days when its not so cold to see if they are at the wear limit or not...

ST_SHP

Parting a wrecked '91
Bike
1991 ST1100-UJM
Rotor cost is a sore issue for me- which is why like you I looked into some alternatives. I ended up buying used ones that are .8mm over the wear limit. If you can give me design specs (outer diameter, inner diameter, diameter of all holes to include any countersinking), I can draw up an .ems file that can be used to estimate the cost of the rotors. I'll attach one of the pics from one of my rotor designs that was based on one of my stock rotors I measured. This particular rotor quantity one is over $400 (cast iron). Quantity 10 is under $1200. The material plays a key role in the cost. In 303 stainless, the numbers are around $900 & $5800, so you can see the need for a group buy unless you are Bill Gates :).

I also drew up some brake caliper pistons when I found the OEM ones to be overpriced and no aftermarket ones available. I'm planning to use slightly longer aftermarket pistons from a CBX at a savings of about $7/piston ($42/set). The emachine shop software is really cool (and free). I suspect with some help you could design just about any replacement part you'd need.

I would not have a problem investing in this stuff if I knew there was a market, but an inquiry thread I put out got no response. I just don't have the capital to put into it otherwise.

Attachments

Top Bottom