I only post with problems ( BS 023 GT install issues)

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
Ok, so I don't post often any longer just because of life getting in the way...

Based on a quick search here, reading some reviews I opted for the 'Stone 023GT's. They arrived Tuesday ( Thanks Two Bros!), and I'm just getting to installing them. These have to be the hardest tire I've installed, or attempted to install. Does anyone have any tips for installing them?

I get 3/4 of the way on and the tire starts moving with my bar.

Thanks...

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Ok, so I don't post often any longer just because of life getting in the way...

Based on a quick search here, reading some reviews I opted for the 'Stone 023GT's. They arrived Tuesday ( Thanks Two Bros!), and I'm just getting to installing them. These have to be the hardest tire I've installed, or attempted to install. Does anyone have any tips for installing them?

I get 3/4 of the way on and the tire starts moving with my bar.

Thanks...
I hate bridgestone tires because they are so hard to mount!
If you don't have an space heater, sit them on the front seat of your truck, turn the heater on, and let them get good and warm before trying to mount them.
Also, make sure the bead is lifted in the center, and use lots of soap.
Hope this helps.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
When a tire starts moving with my bar I switch to tire irons for the last bit... and make sure the bead on the opposite side is held down in the rim's valley by a couple of 1x1 or 1x2 blocks.

OP
OP
tdeboeser

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
got the lube :) - no-mar's spray and paste. so I may have to wait for the sun, and/or use a space/car heater...

Wish I had some spoons...

Thanks. If you've got more tips keep 'em coming

Last edited:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Use a tie-down to stabilize the tire; tight enough that the tire can not move on the rim...

(and buy some spoons for next time! ;))

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
A no-Mar "Yellow Thing" can help keep the tire from rotating on the rim. Don't lube the area where you place it.

OP
OP
tdeboeser

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
I tried the sun warming, I was out of the house until 1:30pm. So both tires got a good 6 hours of sun with 78 degree temps. lots and lots of No-Mar spray and paste, and help from a neighbor. Still no luck.

I've got the Harbor Freight changer, and I've "rubberized" the rim holders, but once we to the last third the rim moves in the holders. I've got them pretty tight and I don't want to go to much tighter, so I think I'm defeated. I'm probably going to end up taking them to a local shop to have them put on. Ugh, I was hoping to get this done this weekend.

Thanks for the tips, I guess its a good excuse to buy some new stuff - spoons and a yellow thing sound like they are in my future.

Anyone know of a MC shop in the DC metro thats open on Sundays? :)

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I mounted a set of BT023 GT's on a buddy's ST a few months ago, and they were no more difficult than my BT020F's. But that was using tire irons, and even though I've since bought a No-Mar Jr. Classic tire changer, I still have to use tire irons on the rear tire. I'm not near DC, but if you wanna' bring 'em down to Newport News tomorrow, let me know and I'll mount 'em no charge. <Ken>

PS to add: When I mounted the BT023 tires, it was cold out and so were the tires. I didn't do anything to warm 'em up. <K>

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've got the Harbor Freight changer, and I've "rubberized" the rim holders, but once we to the last third the rim moves in the holders. I've got them pretty tight and I don't want to go to much tighter, so I think I'm defeated. I'm probably going to end up taking them to a local shop to have them put on. Ugh, I was hoping to get this done this weekend.
Use a nylon strap to hold the wheel to the arm of the changes on the inside. That will hold the wheen from moving, I was thinking it was the tire that was spinning.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Use a nylon strap to hold the wheel to the arm of the changes on the inside.
+1 ... even on the No Mar, the Gold Wing tire rim tends to spin. I even strap down the 1300 rim to one leg it prevent it tho the Nomar holds it mostly.( moves an inch or two )

But use more lube than you think, lube the three locations; rim edge, rim center, tire edges(not bead)... make sure the tire stay in the hollow of rim - sometimes I kneel on it opposite the last few inches which I found easier to do with Nomar spoons.

Top Bottom