I rode a BMW K1600GT

Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
When I was looking at the St's 5 years ago I had narrowed it down to 3-4 bikes. The ST, Triumph Trophy, BMW R12xx, and BMW K1600. The Triumph really intrigued me but the fear of having a non-popular Euro bike for long-distance riding and touring had me in fear of towing the bike home with no hope of ever getting it fixed on the road if something went wrong while on a trip. I have always liked the BMW's and had ridden an RT several times at work while training, I'm not used to the low-end torque as I have always ridden Hondas where you get the power band at higher RPM's, nothing wrong with it just different than what I have been used to over last 30+ years of riding. I loved the K bike but the price was just out of the range I was willing to pay. I had concerns of maintenance costs and the BMW forums were loaded with people that had the same opinion... "If you can't afford the maintenance then you can't afford a BMW" I guess I COULD afford the maintenance but I don't WANT to. The Honda requires very little maintenance and you can do the majority of it in your garage without expensive dealer-only parts. I was leaning towards the BMW for the technology, especially the GPS and radio. I realized that I would most likely use a BT helmet kit so the radio was a non-issue, GPS is easily done on a phone or stand-alone device so I went back to reliability as my main determining factor. I found a 2012 with only 1,800 miles on it from a fellow forum member that was still under factory warranty. I purchased it, went to the dealer, and extended the warranty until 2023 (Unlimited mileage) for $600! Having the peace of mind that any major issues would be covered by the dealer was a great feeling, especially last year when the rear shock failed. The warranty has already paid for itself and more. It was also reassuring that I tortured a 2007 ST for almost 5 years at work and it never failed me.

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I started looking for a new bike I was originally looking for a nice ST but I wanted something a little newer and I then turned to look at the BMW R1200 RT. I have always liked that bike but the ones I found weren't well equipped and then I started to add up all of the Farkles I would want to add, which added several thousands of dollars to the price tag. I then ran across a 2014 K1600 with 7200 miles on it on Cycle Trader that had a lot of what I was looking for as far as toys were concerned, more than I had even thought of. A little bigger than the ST and RT but still manageable, not to mention drop-dead gorgeous to my eyes. It didn't have navigation on it, but how bad could that be I thought to myself? o_O After looking at a couple of alternatives and considering what the required would be for them, I decided to pull the trigger on it.

The age was a little older than I wanted but the price differential for a newer one was more than I wanted to go. Then the rational part of my brain (which to be honest doesn't often come out and when it does, always rains on whatever brilliant idea I have come up with!) started thinking about what the potential repair costs could be should something arise. While I could probably afford a thousand dollar breakdown on the Beemer I didn't want to have to do it and never had anything significant break on any Honda I have ever had. And as it usually happens, I listened to the emotional side of my brain and went with the blinky lights. I have started a separate "break glass in case of emergency" savings fund just in case but if she ever gives me a reason to start throwing repair money at her, she'll go up for sale. There are far too many good bikes out there to be throwing money onto a burning fire.

And the money I thought I would be saving because it came pre-farkled? Not so much. New tires and oil $600, Motorrad VI navigator $800 (OMG!), tip over bars (because I will) $300. And then there was the money I thought I'd save using my old gear... my old beloved Shoei Multi-tech helmet has the liner foam coming off in chunks, so now a new helmet. Riding pants? Seams letting go and armor is disintegrating so new pants required. So far my 10-year-old gloves are holding up. And then there is the camping gear that I thought I still had, but can't find. If only the rational part of my brain would have worked a little harder... nah, wouldn't have made any difference. So far the K1600 is a dream and wouldn't change a thing. :biggrin:

OP
OP
ST Pili
STOC #
Thanks both tnman and Winged_STer for your thoughts. The 1600 really is a beautiful machine that works tremendously well. If anything could pull me off of STella, that would be the bike. I’m not totally decided but I just put tires on STella and that might have been a subconscious decision.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks both tnman and Winged_STer for your thoughts. The 1600 really is a beautiful machine that works tremendously well. If anything could pull me off of STella, that would be the bike. I’m not totally decided but I just put tires on STella and that might have been a subconscious decision.
Tires add to the trade-in or resale value against a new bike. Good thinking!

OP
OP
ST Pili
STOC #
Tires add to the trade-in or resale value against a new bike. Good thinking!
Hehe I was thinking more like adding cruise to STella is a lot cheaper than trading, but yes that makes sense. With cruise and an RDL seat, Stella would be perfect, and if I may be bold bold I find the ST better looking than the K16. All that said, the prospect of a different bike in my life is very appealing, I must say :)

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Looks are a thing of course and very important but so is suspension, brakes, and handling.

OP
OP
ST Pili
STOC #
Looks are a thing of course and very important but so is suspension, brakes, and handling.
I'm glad you mention this. My comparison is based solely on my STella and this particular K16. I feel the ST actually rides and little smoother over bumps, and I set the BMW on comfort to be sure. It might well be the fact that the ergos on the K bike are more upright and thus I feel the bumps up my spine a bit more. I'm a twisty junkie and handling at speed is a very close call, which impressed me about the Beemer as I figured trading would be a compromise there. As far as brakes, other than more lever travel on the Beemer I have no complaints about either. More more time on the Beemer would probably show 10 years of progressive brake technology but the difference isn't glaring.

Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
So there I was, parked at Fosters restaurant in Chama, New Mexico when a guy on a new decked out 1600cc BMW pulls up and parks next to me. He takes one look at my 27 year old ST1100 and offers, "those were pretty nice Bikes." "I't's still a nice bike," I tell him, to which he replies, "I suppose". So I ask him, "Do you know what the difference is between your bike and mine?" "Well mine has two more cylinders," he replies. "True," I agree. Mine can do anything and go anywhere your BMW can, but the main difference is about...$30,000 dollars." He looks at me in shock then asks, "How much did that cost you?" I reply "$2800." Then he looks a little sick. "More like $32,000," he grumbles. I grinned all day.

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
The suspension comment is interesting as I have noticed similar compared to the ST. In the twisties, I think they are very close but when it gets tight, the ST would get the nod slightly. Payload definitely goes to the K16 so if you carry anything for camping, pillion, etc., the Beemer wins.

I found an article from Ash on Bikes (Ash On Bikes | Straight Talking) reviewing the 2011 GTL which painted a good picture of the bike. Regarding the suspension compared to the K16 GT he said:
"The suspension definitely is different though, being significantly softer on the K1600GTL, but it isn‘t any more comfortable for that as it feels underdamped and crashes over bigger bumps and potholes, to the point where the rider can be jarred through the seat. I spent a lot of time switching between the ESA mode settings, not just to try them out but because I could never find something I was entirely happy with, swopping between the harshness of Sport and the jarring of Normal. Comfort was just too soft.

It was an irritation more than real nuisance after I‘d got used to it, and riders coming from Harleys or Gold Wings will wonder what I‘m complaining about as the GTL is better than either. But the GT is superior again and in Normal offers a convincing and comfortable ride, where the GTL often jiggles or bumps."

From my short tenure with the bike, I'd say the comparison is similar between K16 and ST. I will say that in Sport mode the curves are a hoot. :cool:

Bike
2000 ST1100
If one can afford to spend 32k on a bike and not look back, they shouldn't bother with 2800$ bikes. Otherwise, yeah, 30k more is shocking :)
A friend of mine was selling his 2015 GT and gave me first crack at it. I passed so he traded it in. Got 14K for it. I think he paid 26K new. His 2019 cost close to 30K. Those K bikes sure lose their value quickly....but I guess they all do.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Those K bikes sure lose their value quickly....but I guess they all do.
I think pretty much all vehicles do, you aren’t going to find people that will pay 80% of the new value for a three year old bike. If you are willing to pay that much why not cough up the last 20% and get that new vehicle feeling and a warranty.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Why did you pass? Moneywise or didn't like it?
I think he had 22K on it and I only have a 1.5 car garage. So no room to store it. I would have to get rid of my ST1100 to make room for the BMW and I would never do that. Still if I had the room I probably would have bought it. I think retail on his bike was the high 16K . It was a pretty bike orange and black with the russell seat and arkapovic exhaust.

Last edited:

TPadden

Tom Padden
...So I ask him, "Do you know what the difference is between your bike and mine?" ... Mine can do anything and go anywhere your BMW can, but the main difference is about...$30,000 dollars." He looks at me in shock then asks, "How much did that cost you?" I reply "$2800." Then he looks a little sick. "More like $32,000," he grumbles. I grinned all day.
Not sure you didn't misinterpret his look. If you were that rude to me after complimenting your ride I'd give you a shocked look too, particularly if you had a silly grin. Cost and worth are very relative terms. ;)

Tom

Bike
ST and K1600
.. Mine can do anything and go anywhere your BMW can, but the main difference is about...$30,000 dollars." ..
Bought my GTL last year and kept my ST.. saying the ST "can do anything .. main difference is $30k" is just false. How about electronic suspension, electronic traction control, cruise control, tire pressure monitor, gear indicator, hill start control... I could go on. The BMW guy could have laughed in your face but maybe chose to spare you some dignity.

Jevers

Jevers
Bike
2017 Yamaha SCR950
That said; I can certainly understand grinning all day because you are enjoying whatever you are riding. :biggrin:

Tom
Not to Muddy the waters, but...... How does the FJR compare?

Bike
R1200rt
A KLR650 pulls into a place to eat near a GS1200. The two get talking and the bragging starts . But the KLR rider states that he can do things with his bike that the GS rider won't . The GS rider says no way.. so the KLR rider kicks his bike over and says can you do that??

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm glad you mention this. My comparison is based solely on my STella and this particular K16. I feel the ST actually rides and little smoother over bumps, and I set the BMW on comfort to be sure. It might well be the fact that the ergos on the K bike are more upright and thus I feel the bumps up my spine a bit more. I'm a twisty junkie and handling at speed is a very close call, which impressed me about the Beemer as I figured trading would be a compromise there. As far as brakes, other than more lever travel on the Beemer I have no complaints about either. More more time on the Beemer would probably show 10 years of progressive brake technology but the difference isn't glaring.
No disrespect intended and maybe you are the ideal 150 lb solo no cargo rider that the ST1300 is sprung for but I'll wager the BMW's Duolever and Paralever suspension will handle real world riding weights and pavement conditions with a much great envelope than a stock ST1300 can. After the work I did on my ST suspension it served me well and never really limited my enjoyment of the bike. I knew it handled better than before but I had nothing to compare it to in the sport touring world. However compared to my RT, of the same generation of the ST, there is a huge improvement to the way it handles pavement imperfections and due to its ability to separate braking from steering inputs on highly technical roads it elevates both safety margins and performance. Another plus is I'm able to buy shocks and springs tailored exactly to my weight and riding style which further differentiates the ride and handling away from the 1990's technology of the ST. To be fair my time on a K16GT was limited to a few rides of less than 50 miles but one day it was on curving bumpy roads at speeds that would have tied my ST in knots but the K1600 handled them w/o drama.

I'm enough of a Luddite and cheapskate I do not want ESA or ESA II in a bike yet. Replacing these would be very expensive and something to think about on a used BMW.

Reactions: Tor
Top Bottom