I think I have a leak

Bike
2010 ST1300
Is this a problem :rofl1:. Not sure which connection just yet but I'm getting closer. I really don't think one can get enough time under the throttle bodies.PXL_20210703_200750854.jpgPXL_20210703_200743808.jpg

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Agree with ToddC. Clean it up really well, that will likely take a few iterations. Your leak looks like it's been there for a while. You may want to disconnect the leaky hose and inspect the metal connections for corrosion and replace them if you can't clean them up completely.
Yours hoses are 'only' 11 years old, so an inspection and checking the security all the clamps may be sufficient.

OP
OP
cjames431
Bike
2010 ST1300
Agree with ToddC. Clean it up really well, that will likely take a few iterations. Your leak looks like it's been there for a while. You may want to disconnect the leaky hose and inspect the metal connections for corrosion and replace them if you can't clean them up completely.
Yours hoses are 'only' 11 years old, so an inspection and checking the security all the clamps may be sufficient.
The hoses are younger than that as I replaced the two on the thermostat housing 6yrs ago iirc. The 3/16diam stuff is new last 2yrs. The left side is clean so I think it was all from the right side.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
The hoses are younger than that as I replaced the two on the thermostat housing 6yrs ago iirc. The 3/16diam stuff is new last 2yrs. The left side is clean so I think it was all from the right side.
Hose material is in a whole other dimension since the 1960's. I have a 2010 SUV that just turned 170000 miles. No leaks, no drips, nothing loose, hoses feel new and look near new. I DO replace the serpentine belt about every 60000 miles...installed third new one a few weeks back...much easier than on the ST1100, but you don't have to be concerned with that.
I usually gear my comments to the inexperienced guys with ST's. Sounds like you are capable of making a great call here. Please, share what you find. Every new bit helps someone else.

OP
OP
cjames431
Bike
2010 ST1300
So, I think the right side 3/16in (5mm) hose was leaking. Not a hundred percent sure but I did install new 3/16 hose from both sides. I didn't notice any deformed connections.
I also labeled the evap canister connector so I don't get it confused with the cam position connector.

Bike
2010 ST1300
So, I think the right side 3/16in (5mm) hose was leaking.
While you have the tupperware off, you might replace the plastic T on the right side of the bike just below the cylinder head with a brass T. It's been said if it has not broken yet, it will.

aniwack

Site Supporter
Bike
05A/07A/09PA
STOC #
Start with the water pipe connections. Thermostat o-ring is a common fail point.

Last edited:

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
While you have the tupperware off, you might replace the plastic T on the right side of the bike just below the cylinder head with a brass T. It's been said if it has not broken yet, it will.
Where exactly is this "Plastic T"? I can't remember seeing one last time I had my ST 1300 apart (throttle body off), and from what you have said, it sounds like it would be prudent to replace it with a metal T fitting.

A picture of the T, showing the location, would be much appreciated.

Michael

OP
OP
cjames431
Bike
2010 ST1300
Where exactly is this "Plastic T"? I can't remember seeing one last time I had my ST 1300 apart (throttle body off), and from what you have said, it sounds like it would be prudent to replace it with a metal T fitting.

Michael
Right side just aft of the radiator.
PXL_20210705_191229553.jpg

OP
OP
cjames431
Bike
2010 ST1300
Still pissing fluid from the right side under load. Throttle bodies are sinked though.

Edit: when you think you have rinsed the area sufficiently during a leak search, rinse it some more. If after a second rinse you think you are good, do a little more. Residual fluid will make you doubt yourself.

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9

Michael
Micheal;
You just need a little nudge to refresh your memory. You have already taken a picture of this fitting's location and posted it for the benefit of others. See your post here.

In case you want to get the parts to make a replacement brass tee fitting, below is what you will need;

Coolant Tee_Brass.jpg

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
My 2005 with 207,000 miles still with the OEM tee fitting. I replaced all the hoses at 116,000 miles. IIRC 16 or 17 hoses.
Wow! You're very lucky, but a lottery ticket quickly! :)

During my search for a metal replacement Tee (of any kind of metal) with the right port sizes, I discovered that a lot of automobiles suffered from the same situation with using plastic connectors on antifreeze lines and failing. Their solution and replacement parts were always metal.

@Andrew .. I'm always amazed how quickly you find and share the information on here! I was just about to go look for my brass T photo. :) You can usually find it and thoroughly post it quicker than the original poster! :) Great job!

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Micheal;
You just need a little nudge to refresh your memory. You have already taken a picture of this fitting's location and posted it for the benefit of others. See your post here
Thanks Andrew, really kind of you to dig out that old photo of mine, and also to provide the photo showing the necessary parts.

I looked at my moto, and it still has the plastic part installed. Now I have a project to do this week. :)

Michael

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Thanks Andrew, really kind of you to dig out that old photo of mine, and also to provide the photo showing the necessary parts.

I looked at my moto, and it still has the plastic part installed. Now I have a project to do this week. :)

Michael
Hey Michael
If you buy the brass barbed fittings like I did, remember not to trim much of the old hose in case you ever have to remove the T again. The hose wont pull off the barbed fittings, you will have to cut them.
I double clamped the hoses because the fittings are quite long, but probably didn’t have to. They make a very solid connection.

Top Bottom