I was just given a 1998 BMW K1200RS

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Its banana cream yellow, with 25,000 miles on it, in mint condition.
The original owner was a motor officer for 30 years, and just retired and got a brand new Goldwing for him and his wife.
I've serviced this bike since he purchased it new in 1998.
He remembered me making a comment about liking the bike (I called it a screaming yellow zonker) and decided to surprise me by gifting it to me since we are both retired now!
Its been stored/sitting for the past two years, so it will need to be completely gone through and brought back to its glory days.
It has the factory hard saddlebags, removable top case, BMW nylon tail bag, BMW nylon tank bag, service manual, and all the service records.
I installed Pirelli Angel GT tires on it about a year ago, and they only have about 500 miles on them.
I've got some ABS modulator issues to deal with since its been sitting so long, and there were some recalls on this part that I'll have to look up.
Looks like the ST1300A will have some company in the OCD Garage.
Looks like all my karma helping folks just paid off.
Igofar

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Congrats on your new to you bike! I can’t wait to see a picture of it. Sounds like it is in good hands now. Enjoy.

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
Congrats Larry!... that just scratches the surface of the good Karma you've paid forward to the MC community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Kharma indeed. Ride the hell out of it and feel great, mile after mile.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
"No good deed goes unpunished." :)

Just kidding! :D Good luck with it!
:rofl1: Exactly what I told him on the phone!

Larry, we need pictures! (Since some of us have no clue what a 1998 BMW K1200RS looks like....;)

Okay, I just looked it up on Google...SWEET! :D

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Not too much weight on the wrists and hands, Larry? The ergos of that bike were long and low IIRC.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Must be the day(week?) for free motorcycles!

My son just got a call from a friend of his to come pick up 6 (yes S I X) bikes that he no longer wants. I think most are dirt bikes, but I saw a three cylinder Triumph in the pictures... :D

Okay, I just found out the Triumph is not one of the bikes he's getting...most are dirt bikes ...probably thrashed, and not cared for like the one Larry is getting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Update: It's Alive :eek:
All it took was removing the old gas, putting in a couple gallons of Ethel, a few ounces of SeaFoam and MMO, a New Yuasa 51913 Battery, and a brake light/tail light bulb.
I also replaced the engine, transmission, and rear drive oil(s).
I turned the key, pushed the button, and it sprang to life on the first Crank! :hat1:
I was a little concerned about the clip on type handlebars and foot peg location, but was pleasantly surprised at just how comfortable this thing really is :yes:
When you sit on it, the gas cap is about even with your chest and the seat is more comfy than any aftermarket seat I've tried, the pegs, shifter, brake and clutch levers are right where they should be!
The engine is a BEAST :fuzz1: shifting much smoother than the ST1300's, Power is unbelievable! Feels like a cross between an old yamaha V Max and my old 501 Maico two stroke! I was in triple digits and had not even shifted to third gear yet.
This thing pulls like a train, and just keeps going and going and going :wave1:
So far the only down side is the old style ABS brakes...when they activate they shake and stutter if your not used to them.
The manual states that oil consumption is normal at about 392 miles per quart :shrug1:
And with as much fun as twisting the throttle is, I'm probably only going to get low 30 mpg.
The service stuff, while way more $$$ than Honda, is so much easier :tools1:
5 lug nuts and the rear wheel is off, brake pads are a spring clip and two pins, front wheel is off by removing 4 allen bolts (calipers) two pinch bolts, and one nut...and they are all the same size unlike Honda's 5 mm, 6 mm, 8 mm, 22 mm etc.
The largest socket you'll need for the BMW is a 17 for the axle, and a 19 for the driveshaft drain plug.
Oil changes very easy.
Brake bleeding my be a little bit of a challenge, since you either have to take a torch and bend some of your long box end wrenches, and buy some special bleeder fittings and small funnels etc.
I'll update it again after I get a few hundred miles on her, and see if the honey moon will be over then.
I did find a web site that builds turbos for the K1200RS that produces over 350 Horse Power!
Maybe a salt flat project :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom