IDIOT !!!!! used Diesel

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
About a gallon out of seven, but I'd run it through myself. It'll clean your carbon out and loosen up your rings, though I don't know what effect it'll have on your cat.
:rofl1:

Even if you can siphon out just a few liters it's probably better than leaving it all in. I have no idea if leaving in will damage anything but at the very least you wouldn't want to get stuck some place because it stopped. Drain some add proper petrol and ride over some rough road for awhile?? :) I wouldn't put in in the weeds though.

Bike
2k9 ST1300
I would drain what I can (5 gallon) and to it with high octane. Dilute the rest and use in the car when it need refueling and top it with fresh gaz.

My father did that when it happened to it snowmobile....

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
I accidently put 4.1/2 litres of diesel in my Pan:confused: this has been topped off with V.Power so a full tank:D the bike seems to be running O.K. if a little smoky on acceleration .....Do you think I can get away with it until another top up?....
A couple of things to consider.

1.Gasoline is rated by Octane (resistance to compression ignition)
2.Diesel is rated by Cetane (ease of compression ignition)
3.By adding Diesel to the Gasoline you have significantly reduced the Octane rating of the Gasoline. The main concern with this is engine knock from pre-detination or pre-ignition which without modern knock sensors could damage the engine in a short amount of time.
4.Diesel is heavier and contains more heat value per pound and will burn slightly hotter if the A/F ratio is correct.
5.Diesel contains much less light end molecules and is less flammable at room temperatures and pressures. On a cold gasoline engine it would probably not start without some gasoline mixed in with it.
6. I am not aware of any additives in the diesel or the diesel itself that would cause injector problems or catalytic converter problems.

My conclusion based on the mix ratio you provided is that you would probably be safe to run it and keep topping it up with the highest octane gasoline you can find. I would suggest also No sustained highway use and Limit your riding to short rides for the next 300 miles.

TPadden

Tom Padden
A couple of things to consider......My conclusion based on the mix ratio you provided is that you would probably be safe to run it and keep topping it up with the highest octane gasoline you can find. I would suggest also No sustained highway use and Limit your riding to short rides for the next 300 miles.
I hate it when someone agrees with me; now I have to rethink my position. :mad:
:tp1:

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I haven't read the entire thread but if no one's feelings have been hurt yet this has to go a while longer----run it , add gas, run some more--foget abot it

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I would drain what I can (5 gallon) and fill it with high octane. Dilute the rest and use in the car when it needs refueling and top it with fresh gas.

My father did that when it happened to his snowmobile....
+1 This is exactly what I was going to recommend, someone beat me to it. The diesel/gasoline ratio would be so low that it won't be an issue for either vehicle. Play it safe and siphon (carefully, of course).

OP
OP
tonupdave
Bike
Pan 1300A
Well this is what I have done Drained the Top tank....:eek::Then removed the fuel return pipe and petrol started peeeing out :(...so connected to a pipe into a bucket and filled that..(Why did petrol come out of that pipe as it is in the top of the lower tank?:confused:)...Anyway re-assembled everything put two gallons of clean petrol in.....Run a bit rough to start but cleared :(...went back to garage and topped up..:eek::..Just been for a sixty mile trip bike seems fine and I didn't hang around.:D...So hopefully I have done no harm......The main difficulty is finding somewhere to dispose of contaminated fuel I have filled the tank on my Classic bike (that will run on anything) filled a couple of old oil cans plus a very old Pratts motor spirit petrol can...I now have enough fuel for the mower for the next four years...;)
Thanks for the feedback:slv11:.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Wherever you take your used crank case oil should be able to dispose of the fuel also. I pit all hydrocarbon based products Ina 55 gallon drum and give it to a diesel shop down the street when it's full. They burn it in a waste oil furnace. Not sure if they are legal in the UK but it's worth a try too.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Glad it ended well. Care to tell us how this happened?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Wherever you take your used crank case oil should be able to dispose of the fuel also. I pit all hydrocarbon based products Ina 55 gallon drum and give it to a diesel shop down the street when it's full. They burn it in a waste oil furnace. Not sure if they are legal in the UK but it's worth a try too.
My car mechanic (and a body shop, too) sells his used oil, so he is happy when I bring used oil to him for disposal. He has strict limits on how much brake fluid or other contaminants can be mixed in, but I assume that a few quarts of diesel in a 200 gallon tank makes very little difference.

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Glad you got it worked out. Thanks for sharing your experience.

OP
OP
tonupdave
Bike
Pan 1300A
Paulcb.....I need glasses for driving and ones for reading and close-up......My local filling stations pumps are not great .......Shell Regular petrol, Shell VPower petrol, and Shell VPower Diesel ....The hoses and handles are all Black with a small coloured ring below the handle Green-Regular...Red-Vpower.....Nothing Vpower diesel...I needed to gange my glasses at the pump but didn't...I noticed when the pump started and could smell the diesel...I have done this before on my Triumph Thruxton...That was easy just take the tank off and ditch the contents....
I must pay more attention next time and alter my garage to one with Red,Green. & Black hoses ......Its something to do with getting old have been riding bikes for 60 years now...So must be more careful.......

Top Bottom