idle mixture

I have never yet adjusted the idle mixture screws on my ST1100 - I know, me very, very bad.

Still would like to know where to buy the special "D" shaped tool to adjust the mixture screws - hint, hint.

Is there a starting point ( "X" number of turns out ) for the idle mixture screws ?
I did a video on You Tube on my channel Max1Chase1, select the channel with the 82 videos for the ST1100 videos, My St1100 which don't have the ABS and other fancy equipment and not from California but for a 98 ST1100 and ALL MODELS it said to open the settings to 2.5/8 turns out. Doing it on the bike is possible but patience is required, :), the tool I have with the "D" shaped tip has a dot on the end of the handle so you can have a reference point on where you started your turns.

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
Replaced stock d head shaped pilot screws with slotted ones during carb overhaul.

Static on the bench setting all 4 pilot screws 20191011_121414.jpgthe same. Put the carbs on, performed blip test.

Smelled a bit rich so closed them a quarter turn, but at the bottom end blip test, the power was no longer as robust with initial roll on of the throttle. So opened them back up.

Been riding 3 years with this tune, oversize pilot and main jets. Runs like a banshee. Gonna pull the carbs soon and see what I put in there.

This 01 will pull 75 mph in second gear redline shifts to 3rd and will easily chug with plenty of torque from idle up.

FactoryPro needles on middle clip setting, Delkevic 14" cans, KN drop in filter. Pair valve system removed.

Synchronizing accomplished with HF gauges, more than adequate. Butt dyno as well.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Honda P/N 07KMA-MS60101.
Apparently this has been replaced by 07KMA-MS60102.
Search seems to indicate that they still can be had but that might change when you order it.
Very pricey. Over $200.00 USD.

They look very similar to the D shaped pilot screws that I have seen on chainsaws, leaf blowers, etc.. I wonder if one of those would work or could be adapted.
I have a very old Snap-On carburetor adjusting tool. It is about 18 inches long with a 6 inch flexible section at the end. The tip at the bottom end in the picture below is 1/4" drive. There were many different sockets available to fit many different pilot screw shapes. Maybe something similar is still available much cheaper.

IMG_20200224_113708.jpg

Bike
91 ST1100
STOC #
During my recent carb over-haul I replaced the OEM #38 pilot with a #40, shimmed the needle, etc. My initial mixture screw setting was 1 7/8 but found that 1 1/4 turns out worked great.
She purrs at idle and pulls hard on the throttle. While I had the pilot screws on the bench, I cut a slot in the head of each one with a dremel and thin cut-off wheel. Special tool no longer required.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Honda P/N 07KMA-MS60101.
Apparently this has been replaced by 07KMA-MS60102.
Search seems to indicate that they still can be had but that might change when you order it.
Very pricey. Over $200.00 USD.
Hmm... David Silver Spares (USA site) will sell you one for $86:
07KMA-MS6-0102 / WRENCH,PILOT SCRE *D
This part number doesn’t show up on the other online sites I tried.
The part number stamped on the USA/“D” shaped tip pilot screw tool I once had (pics avail, $39.39 in 2001) was:
07MMA-MT3010B
which when searched on finally came up on David Silver Spares as:
07MMA-MT3-010B / TOOL PILOT SCREW WRE
for $214...!
I just posted this last PN’s info in the other thread.

FWIW

I should have kept mine as a STOC loaner. Anyone have one to lend to fellow STriders?

John

Last edited:
Ive read how to adjust theses screws.. did it by ear, problem is the manual says to be more precice with an electric tach!! i dont really want to spend alot of money, but i also want to do a good job! has any body bought elec tach for this job? thanks
I did a video on this on my channel Max1Chase1, also these bikes are like people they are different from each other, According to the manual my 98 ST1100 said to back them off 2 5/8 but that made my bike knock like it wanted more, I then went to 3 turns out, 1 &3 was kind of ok with that but 2 &4 was giving me the lack of fuel knock, so knowing getting to these jets are a bear, I went back in and backed them all off to 4 turns and they were happy, I will check to see it they are a bit rich after a quick ride, because I can smell some unburnt fuel but she revs up and down like brand new.

Top Bottom