If you go down, make it a low side.

Bike
2005 BMW RT
I picked up the ST from the dealer, 48k service & new brake pads, & my wife who also ries sayes it's a nice day don't hurry home. I ride some new roads and some already ridden roads. I come to Ohio SR 258 from west to east which I now is a twisty road. All is going well and I am leaned ower in a tight downhill right hander going about 30 mph ? when I hit an 8'x20' patch of fine gravel. The rear wheel loses traction, and there we are sliding down the highway. I end up in the left hand berm. The ST slides down the road on the right side tip over bars and the engine guards.. Just about when it was about to stop it flops over to the left side and stops in the center of the left hand lane. I'm OK, sore right wrist and shoulder with very minor strawberries on my right leg. I wore small holes my jeans and put some experience marks on my armored jacket. I ground about 1/4" off of the tip over bars and engine guards. Both rearview mirriors were broken but the ST is OK too. With some help from the locals we got her upright and started up. After I recoverd from the shock of the fall, I got on and rode the 50 miles home. The only items that must be replaced are both rearview mirrors for $50 at a local glass shop. I will also replace the rt. & lt. rearview mirrior housings, both engine guard covers and the lower rt. fairing. The locals pointed to a cross right were I went down and told me that was for a woman passenger on a motorcycle. I wonder if her accidient was a low side. I know we don't always have a choice but if you are going to go down, from my experience take the low side.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Glad to hear it didn't turn out much worse... hope your injuries heal quickly.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Wow glad to here you are OK. Also glad to here the ST is not hurt to bad. Hope you get it back together soon.

:usflag1:

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Bummer,, glad it wasn't worse. No bag damage?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Dang! Sorry to hear that you went down, but glad it wasn't any worse! :eek:4:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wow, glad you weren't hurt bad. The bike will recover well. I had almost the same accident on my ST1100, only it stayed on the right side all the way into the left shoulder. No guards on the back end so my saddle bag did get some scratching (battle scars). Insurance should cover your gear and bike parts and labor to replace. Mine did and I ended up with extra left over after not replacing all the parts as I didn't feel they needed it. Hope it's all back together again soon.

JCB

Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
Hey Ron I'm glad your ok. When we ride together in a couple of weeks and I notice my mirrors are missing I looking for them on your bike!!!! :scared2:

Hope you and the bike will be fine!!!!

Jay

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Ron, good to hear you'll be OK and that the STeed it fixable. I've had the same type of experience myself (on my VF500F) so I know where you're coming from.

You may want to have you Dr. check you out anyway; never hurts (much!).

BTW, your dutch oven made the trip to our house with no issues! See you at the BRG!

Bike
2017 ST1300PA
2024 Miles
Glad to hear you are doing OK Ron! After all the great riding we did at KY-STOC and then something crazy like this happens. The bike sounds like it came out of the ordeal in not too bad of shape especially after the little flip at the end of the slide. Take care.

RCS

Ron, maybe you and I can take a course and acquire some skills like those in the video. (It may be a lifetime of learning for me though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULPgBWm6-XA

Top Bottom