Gloves If you've ridden in really cold weather, I'm interested in what gloves you use.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
You will end up using that jacket liner as your only heated item most of the time, as long as you have good outerwear. I have ridden in the teens many times with just that and sometimes heated grips. Get something to put around your neck like a tube baklava, etc. You can lose a lot of heat there.
Just to clarify, the Gerbings jacket I haven't had a chance to try yet. The liner was homemade and under powered in less than 30 degrees. I'm definitely looking forward to riding warmer. I was always secretly jealous of the 40 amp riders. Not any more though, yay.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
You will rarely, if ever use that jacket at full power. Be sure to get yourself a Heat-Troller or similar controller to regulate it.

http://www.warmnsafe.com/heat-trollers/
I did. I had an early Christmas with an offer for the jacket, heated pants liner and troller for 250.00. It was nice timing from a recent price tag of 450.00 to upgrade the alternator.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
A picture from the first post. Has anyone tried something like this? They're marketed more for snow mobiles from the 10.00 to 80.00 range. Mine aren't perfect. The balance of size for wind protection but not too big that it will obscure your mirrors.
I'd even considered an alternative mirror location. In addition to being able to see better with the wind protection, it would work for loading up my passenger seat without blocking the view in my mirror.
As I recall sirepair had these mirrors, maybe some pictures of his mod will soon be forthcoming.
20151205_132323.jpg

Last edited:

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I did add the blind spot mirrors on my 1100, exactly as I see you have yours installed. Just clean the mirror, peel and stick. The ones that I use can be rotated to change their angle so you have some adjustment. I think they were $8 or $9 at the autoparts store.

Moddy, have you looked at "Hippo Hands"?

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I did add the blind spot mirrors on my 1100, exactly as I see you have yours installed. Just clean the mirror, peel and stick. The ones that I use can be rotated to change their angle so you have some adjustment. I think they were $8 or $9 at the autoparts store.

Didn't you have mirrors bracketed where the oem mirrors are? They enabled you see like a V Strohm mirror.

I tried to make my hand guards like Hippo Hands. At 115.00 including shipping, I'm inclined to try again, for an effective lower profile design.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
No, all I have are the blind spot mirrors.
Great. Now my memory is going. Someone, out of our 20k members, put a thin vertical bracket where the oem mirror mounts. I believe they were round mirrors. Being 8 to 10 inches higher enabled them to see over any obstruction they were transporting on their back seat.

Bike
92 ST1100

sirepair, looks like they'd work okay, but not near the quality of the original Vetter Hippo Hands of the late 70's-early 80's that are fleeced lined and heavy quality outer shell. I say that, having all

four styles of the original Vetter Hippo Hands.( One set still new and in original packaging;).) Seeing and reading of their history may still be possible on Vetter's web site.....BTW, has worked for me with no gloves and -35F:eek:.

Last edited:

OhiaBoy

R.I.P. - 2017/06/09
Rest In Peace
Bike
91 ST1100
STOC #
I also use 'lectrics'. Gerbings jacket liner and gloves. Once you get the gloves and liner you'll ask yourself, "Why did I wait so long to get electric gear"?
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I picked these up a few weeks ago and rode in low 30s with my light gloves and heated grips set to 40%. Worked great. Best part, put them on when you want them, store in the bags when you don't.
How awesome do those look?! How is the visibility in your mirror? What effect does the wind blast, pushing the material on your hand have? I have homemade wind guards and folded a piece of plastic to keep the material from pressing on my hand at higher speeds. Wouldn't mind a slightly different hand guard.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Anyone have any experience with the First Gear Heat Pump Vest?Heat Pump Vest.jpg

Non-electric, but interesting concept.
No experience, but it simply pumps air into the vest to add or (let some out) decrease the insulation. Come on guys, homeless people have been stuffing newspapers under their coats (chest area) for a long time. It works - I tried it many years ago. A tad hard to do that in sleeves, but a pile vest under armored clothing and rain gear on top will go a long way to keeping you warm.

+1 on extra layers to keep your core warm. After 30 miles of freeway at 37 degrees. (yes is does get cool in So Cal) I just reach down and put my thin gloved hand on top of the plastic cover over the spark plugs for a few minutes. Warms it right up. Then I do the other hand. There are those who complain about engine heat but that heat keeps my legs warm in the winter and I really do not notice it be much of a bother during the hot summer months.
You need a second bike - any Guzzi will do. Why do you think they put those big hand warmers right down by your knee? Italians are a very smart bunch.

Not sure if my friend invented Hippo Hands, but he was manufacturing them and selling them under than name for years. He is a Guzzi guy (well, Goldwing, too), and lives in Canada. He sold the business last year....

Bike
'04 ST1300 - Blue
How awesome do those look?! How is the visibility in your mirror? What effect does the wind blast, pushing the material on your hand have? I have homemade wind guards and folded a piece of plastic to keep the material from pressing on my hand at higher speeds. Wouldn't mind a slightly different hand guard.
The mirrors are slightly blocked but not completely. I found that pulling them further down on the bars and making the velcro pretty snug limited that to an acceptable level. Absolutely no issues with wind blast. Got up to mid 80s and they never seemed to move.

My original plan was to pick up a set of hand guards for the Versys 1000 and make them fit but these have the added benefit of trapping the heat from the grip warmers, even if they don't have the look of a nice upgrade. I'm all about utility and the $40 price tag pushed these to the top.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The mirrors are slightly blocked but not completely. I found that pulling them further down on the bars and making the velcro pretty snug limited that to an acceptable level. Absolutely no issues with wind blast. Got up to mid 80s and they never seemed to move.
For $40 these look worth a try. With a Helibar riser mirror functionality should be improved by some degree (unless you already have some kind of riser). When convenient could you post a couple pics or three of these on your ST?

Somewhere on Mod List was the V-Strom Hand Guard Adaptation (sounds like an episode of Big Bang Theory!). The ATV hand guards would be warmer and much quicker to add and remove.

Bike
'04 ST1300 - Blue
For $40 these look worth a try. With a Helibar riser mirror functionality should be improved by some degree (unless you already have some kind of riser). When convenient could you post a couple pics or three of these on your ST?

Somewhere on Mod List was the V-Strom Hand Guard Adaptation (sounds like an episode of Big Bang Theory!). The ATV hand guards would be warmer and much quicker to add and remove.
I've got a gen 3 Helibar riser on my bike. Will take some pics later this week when I get her put back together. All the plastic is off so I can change the thermostat and replace fork oil. Only get about an hour a day to work on the bike (job and young kids) so stuff that should take a short time gets spread out over several days...

Top Bottom