Illinois Motorcycle Owners Beware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bike
2000 ST1100
Well sorry to say but I inhabit the magical kingdom of Illinois. Sitting here watching the local news channel and a reporter chimed the news that a bill to make it a crime to pump you own gasoline. Well we did make marijuana legal here Jan 1 so I guess that where we are getting this crap from. So imagine you have your brand new custom Harley Davidson that you just picked up from the dealer and stop at an Illinois gas station and some low wage jerk spills gasoline all down your tank. Or even scratches it? By the way same goes for auto's. If you are caught you will pay a hefty fine. So beware after 2021 if this law passes and you are traveling into Illinois. I think the only other state that does this is New Jersey. No wonder Illinois is the bottom of the birdcage.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I can't understand the reason why a government would want to "roll back" 40 years of progress implementing self-serve gas stations. Could it possibly be a misguided attempt to create entry-level jobs for poorly educated people?

If it does come to pass that self-serve fuel is outlawed in Illinois, I don't think that will be a big problem for motorcycle riders. In some central European and north African countries, there are no self-serve gas stations, but the attendant is always willing to give the hose & nozzle to the rider and allow them to pump their own fuel while the attendant watches the process.

Michael

Bike
2010 ST1300
I agree w/ Michael. You could politely tell the attendant you would like to fill the tank, and if he hesitates, tell him if he drops any gas on your freshly waxed tank or worse scratches it, he will not be happy.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I remember living in Oregon years ago, and they did the same thing.
I wonder what the CCW laws are in Illinois....and wonder how many Harley Riders have 'em. :rolleyes:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Oregon still has attendants who pump your gas and run your card or take the cash. But, in probably 20 or more fill ups on my bikes, they have always let me pump my own to avoid those issues.
I was told the reason OR has their law is, that a few decades ago, the state governor's wife was filling her car and it caught fire while she was in process. Don't know it that is factual or not.....
What is ILs reason for their new law?????

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I was told the reason OR has their law is, that a few decades ago, the state governor's wife was filling her car and it caught fire while she was in process. Don't know it that is factual or not.....
You missed the rest of the story: she drove away waving her arm out of the window to try to blow out the flames, and was stopped and arrested for brandishing a firearm.

OP
OP
Bike
2000 ST1100
Oregon still has attendants who pump your gas and run your card or take the cash. But, in probably 20 or more fill ups on my bikes, they have always let me pump my own to avoid those issues.
What is ILs reason for their new law?????
Illinois new law if it passes will provide jobs thats what the bills sponsor says. Now get this on Jan 1 of this year we doubled the gasoline tax here. So now i guess to pay for the new gas attendents gasoline prices will soar. This won't affect me much because i buy my gasoline in Missouri 14 miles away. Gasoline much cheaper And I can still pump my own gasoline.

Bike
04 ST1300
Illinois new law if it passes will provide jobs thats what the bills sponsor says. Now get this on Jan 1 of this year we doubled the gasoline tax here. So now i guess to pay for the new gas attendents gasoline prices will soar. This won't affect me much because i buy my gasoline in Missouri 14 miles away. Gasoline much cheaper And I can still pump my own gasoline.
Time to exit this damned state.

Bike
2007 ST 1300
I live in New Jersey and yes, there is a law against pumping your own gas but I have always filled my own motorcycles- the attendant sees to the pump and hands me the nozzle- when through I pas it back to him .

OP
OP
Bike
2000 ST1100
Time to exit this damned state.
When my wife retires this fall that is a very strong possibility. Taxes on a 230,000 house in Illinois 5K. In Missouri 2.4K dollars. License plate for cars depends on taxable horsepower formula but I would pay around 30.00 dollars in Missouri. I now pay $151.00 in Illinois.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Don't come to WA...!! Highest gas taxes and almost 10% sales tax on everything but food. :doh1:

Bike
04 ST1300
When my wife retires this fall that is a very strong possibility. Taxes on a 230,000 house in Illinois 5K. In Missouri 2.4K dollars. License plate for cars depends on taxable horsepower formula but I would pay around 30.00 dollars in Missouri. I now pay $151.00 in Illinois.
Sooner or later all states will pass these laws and become the same. As in no place to run.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I'm guessing the reason for this law is the same as so many others... liability. Probably sick of seeing lawsuits from people who douse themselves the sue the gas station because they weren't warned it could happen.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I've run into this in Oregon and New Jersey or new Hampshire. Some state in the east. Kinda crazy if you ask me.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Thanks for the head's up , will get gas in Indiana or Iowa before …..the double cost tolls are already aggravating to the rest of us that don't charge tolls at all in our states . ( not including a high maintenance cost bridge )

Last edited:

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I'm guessing the reason for this law is the same as so many others... liability.
No, I doubt very much if the motivation is liability, No gas station owner in his or her right mind would want to be forced to hire a whole bunch of unskilled, itinerant staff to pump gas. It would dramatically increase the workload of managing the gas station, without any corresponding increase in profitability.

If anything, it's a misguided attempt to create jobs for folks at the bottom end of the social ladder.

Michael

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Here it's all 99% self serve (almost no pumped options) unless you are handicapped. Then you can push an intercom button on the pump or on a post supporting the overhead awning and someone will come and help you... but the buttons are not accessible from inside your vehicle.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I wonder about wait times. Locally, we have a few stations with 8 pump islands, with 2 pumps per island, and accessible from each side. That’s 32 vehicles that can be filled at the same time. Are they going to hire 32 attendants?

John

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
It just means the end of self-serve for whatever their motivation. I never had any problems in Oregon where they've been doing it for a few years now. The attendants all seemed nice and if you're on a bike, will hand you the nozzle and let you pump your own. Embrace it. Maybe we'll return to the days where pumping gas was an honourable job for a young person who couldn't get a paper route (another dying profession). If I were the station owner, I'd offer cleaning windshields and checking oil again, just to be better than the competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom