I'm finally there... the refurbed '94 ST1100 will get the upgrade...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...I fought and avoided it since the mid 90ies... ;-)

Returning from the MOT I found out that having a voltmeter (the genuine P-spec thing) aboard is really worrisome...

Prudently I'd installed a brand new, fully charged Yuasa AGM...
Under revs, while flying out in the open all systems are green, the indication is nicely just below 15V...
Idling at a red light with LOW lights on is raising an eyebrow... still above 12V though... but barely... eek7.gif
Same situation with turn-signals running starts to alarm... the needle sits on the 12V line... makes you go uhhm... :shock:
But if then also the fan kicks in, the needle simply drops... deep into the red zone... YIKES!!!... :scared2:

For the rest of the way I pondered about options like LED upgrades for turn-signals (doable) and headlights (unfortunately far from unobtrusively), but then decided on rather attacking the root-cause then tinkering with work-arounds...

Got home, started to roam eBay and... lucky me, actually located a complete 40A alternator (including the drive set!) as well as a post '96 wiring harness (with alternator connector, fuse holder, etc...) :D

So I'm poorer by about ?400,- (actually a bargain...) and have to pull the swing-arm again, but will be rewarded with a real steady electrical system... the old rig won't even know what hit it... juice?! wow!... :cool:

So stay tuned... ;-)

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Well, the alternator is already marked as [shipped], Dutch breakers are precise working people ;-)

http://www.ebay.at/itm/281674958902?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

By using a German based mail-forwarder, I was also able to cut the displayed shipments costs of €22.50,- down to €4.90,- :D (seller does offer FOC shipment to Germany, so... ;-))

Judging by the pics the 40Amper looks pretty clean with no signs of serious corrosion (like from a UK-bike ;-) ), I plan to give it a throughout cleaning and inspection, replace bearings, oil-seal and brushes if required, and give it a good ACF-50 conservation prior installation...

Bike
ST1100Y
It sure is expensive when calculated in Euro :)
I paid ~Euro$450 for my 40Amper unit (brand new)
Lucky me ;)

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Well, consider that the official spare part price for the alternator alone (drive set not included!) is between €600 to 1300,-...
The drive-set, sprockets, flywheel, shaft, base, etc... easily adds another €600 to 800,- to that... (keep in mind that I'd paid €800,- for the vandalized '94 with all its plastic parts shattered...)

Might explain why I was so hesitant on this project for such a long time...

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
According to the notice from my shipment forwarding agent, is the alternator already en route on Austrian soil...
Seems I won't receive it this week though, tomorrow is a national holiday, Friday & Saturday I'm out on a group ride...

But who knows, maybe the parcel will wait for me at a neighbour... ;-)

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Maybe it would be cheaper to slap a ST1300 engine in your ST1100 frame? :eek:4:

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
And then the jerky-trottle issues... nah! ;-)

Jerky-throttle issues? huh? I've got jerky-throttle issues? After almost 10 years riding these bikes and now I find out I have "jerky-throttle issues! Sheesh, why doesn't anyone ever tell me these things? :eek:4:

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Sheesh, why doesn't anyone ever tell me these things? :eek:4:
Should get more global with your forum subscriptions/monitoring... ;-)

Some years back I had a 1300 for testing over an entire weekend, solo and with two up... its not really my thing, for various reasons...
I do prefer that analogue character of the commodious, original Honda Pan-European, the ST1100... :cool:

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
But if then also the fan kicks in, the needle simply drops... deep into the red zone... YIKES!!!... :scared2:
Hi Martin, got here a bit late, but wanted to ask you if you know where the two sensors are located for the voltmeter? Are they across the battery terminals, or somewhere else?

If somewhere else, then you could be measuring voltage drops across switches/connectors/etc. and getting an overly pessimistic reading. But that pessimistic reading could also warn you of possible corrosion in the current path that needs to be addressed. Have you done any measurements at the battery itself to confirm the readings on the on-board voltmeter?

I think also the alternator generally monitors voltage across those same switches/connectors/etc. as it can gauge the electrical load by the drop across that path and respond by raising its output. The fact that it doesn't seem to be able to raise the voltage to compensate for additional load does seem like the alt. might be in need of replacement, but I'd trace out all the high current paths while you're at it, so you don't put a new alt. into a compromised electrical system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Good luck with your alternator work Martin.. gonna have pictures?
Yep, gonna try to document the surgery...

...wanted to ask you if you know where the two sensors are located for the voltmeter?
Sensors?
Cables are attached to the "mains" lines from the ignition lock...

...it doesn't seem to be able to raise the voltage to compensate for additional load does seem like the alt. might be in need of replacement, but I'd trace out all the high current paths while you're at it, so you don't put a new alt. into a compromised electrical system.
All the cabling, connectors and grounding points had been checked and cleaned during the refurb work '11, where the bike was completely stripped down.
During the rebuild all measurements (VRR and stator) had been made and found OK within factory specs
While riding to the (2nd) MOT in '12 the darn stator shorted to ground, thus got replaced with a brand new one from David Silver...
The '94 hasn't seen many miles since then...

Operated accessories are: Sony stereo, the Autocom system, active Garmin GPS cradle (5V supply), boths H4 bulbs connected (originally did Honda only hook up one low beam) and a new, fully charged Yuasa YTX14-BS AGM (which might have a slightly higher charging current).

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Should get more global with your forum subscriptions/monitoring... ;-)

Some years back I had a 1300 for testing over an entire weekend, solo and with two up... its not really my thing, for various reasons...
I do prefer that analogue character of the commodious, original Honda Pan-European, the ST1100... :cool:
With my first ST1300 I did notice the surge a lot, I then installed the TT Fuel regulator. Helped a lot. With these last three, I have just gotten used to it to where it doesn't bother me anymore. :D

I looked at the ST1100 back in 2003 and decided to go with a '84 V65 Sabre, because they had a bit more get up and go than the ST1100.

Now, I love the ST1300 and don't plan on ever changing....since I really only have about 20 years of riding left anyway...;)

Good luck on the operation! :tools1:

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
With my first ST1300 I did notice the surge a lot, I then installed the TT Fuel regulator. Helped a lot. With these last three, I have just gotten used to it to where it doesn't bother me anymore. :D
IIRC did they alter the mapping a little on the later models...

Anyway...
just picked up a remarkable large and heavy parcel from the neighbour's, where the snail-mail-man had dropped it off...
Yey! Its here, its here! :D
A nice looking complete 40amper...

Threw a rag into the bathtub, the alternator on top, soaked it with motorcycle cleaner and gave it a good, hot rinse (...now isn't bachelor lifestyle a blast... :lol: Try that with a gal in da house, you wouldn't even get them darn motorcycle parts across the doorstep... you'll end up banned, somewhere outside with all your junk... ;-))

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
IIRC did they alter the mapping a little on the later models...

Anyway...
just picked up a remarkable large and heavy parcel from the neighbour's, where the snail-mail-man had dropped it off...
Yey! Its here, its here! :D
A nice looking complete 40amper...

Threw a rag into the bathtub, the alternator on top, soaked it with motorcycle cleaner and gave it a good, hot rinse (...now isn't bachelor lifestyle a blast... :lol: Try that with a gal in da house, you wouldn't even get them darn motorcycle parts across the doorstep... you'll end up banned, somewhere outside with all your junk... ;-))
You should see the looks my wife gives me anytime I take the tires from the front door to the garage! :well1:

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
You should see the looks my wife gives me anytime I take the tires from the front door to the garage! :well1:
LOL! My sympathy... ;-)

Completed the assignments a bit earlier today, so I threw an old towel on the living room table (! ;-)) to inspect my new, user 40amper more detailed.
Disassembled it to a degree, cleaned the thing and its guts, checked bearings and brushes (well sufficient length, good contract pressure on the split rings, cleaned them too), put all back together and soaked it a bit with ACF-50 for corrosion protection...

Seems all I'll need to order are the two large O-rings which were quite crushed and hardened...
Hope I'll make it to my friendly Honda STealer this week... :cool:

Last edited:
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Is ACF-50 a European thing? Never seem to see it here. You mention it a lot and seems like great stuff.

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Is ACF-50 a European thing?
A gentleman from Scotland with some Navy background once pointed it out to us...
http://www.acf-50.co.uk/
http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/acf50.php
Read the critics and was hooked, started to seek a dealer, ordered a 'bottle with spray can set' and must say that I'm convinced...
I also use it on the contact arrays of the active Garmin GPS cradle and grew really impressed, no more green oxidation...

Bike
1993 ST1100
Is there a VAT in Austria? I paid about $465 for all the new parts in the US.No tax because I ordered from a dealer out of state.
Good luck!

Top Bottom