OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Made it to santa rosa on fumes and my reserve light. There was not a single station along the way. Im certain i would have done better if i had aslowed down, but i spent the day at 80-100 mph having a ball! Im about 120 out of Albuquerque and expect to spend a few days there using different muscles.
theday, of course left me leaning the bike into the wind and waiting for the gusts. I was not dissapointed.
blew by a couple of harley riders that thought their crap didnt stink but mine did. I enjoyed that a lot!15FF0C26-036E-4176-AF70-23CC546EC9FF.jpeg82F0B336-94E7-4EC4-B789-0D8D58DF38A9.jpeg

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
If you don't do at least 80 in that part of the world, you'll never get anywhere.

RT
Well, we really sont have to worry about that anymore! What cracks me up was that the roads weremostly 65 and a lot of 55 mph! Its like a state denial thing. Who goes 65 on a relatively straight road at 65?

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
Don't ever go up 69 in Oklahoma. It is a 75mph 4 lane divided highway, the moment you hit McAlester they slow you down to 35mph for about 20 miles, which seems like eternity. There is construction the divider is gone, but it is maddening slow.

Oh yeah, every other car you see is a cop too. I am fairly certain it is the city's income. ;)

-Ryan

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Don't ever go up 69 in Oklahoma. It is a 75mph 4 lane divided highway, the moment you hit McAlester they slow you down to 35mph for about 20 miles, which seems like eternity. There is construction the divider is gone, but it is maddening slow.

Oh yeah, every other car you see is a cop too. I am fairly certain it is the city's income. ;)

-Ryan
Thanks. Albuquerque next and on to pagosa springs co. After that? Who knows?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
LOL... you're going from the most populated part of the U.S. to the areas that are least populated.

800wm.jpg

ChriSTian_64

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
@mmmsted, you are in a desertic climate now. The air you are breathing is much dryer.

Very important you take time to rehydrate regularly. No joke.

Have you notice how quickly the temperature drops now, at the end of the day? That's desert.

ChriSTian_64

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Where to go next, from Albuquerque ?

Well, depends how much more time / money you still have and what you really want to do and see in this trip.

Dont have to b back in boston till 6/5. Ive never seen the pacific or a desert. Id like to see them.
From Albuquerque, I think you should make a small trip north, to see Santa Fe.
Then, you can come back and push it deeper west, at least, to pass the continental divide.
From Gallup, NM, you could go north, toward shiprock, monumemt valley, etc.

But, at this time of the year, I wouldn't go too far north.

From santa fe, your next step could be Holbrook AZ, (meteor crater, petrified forest, painted desert, winslow), then Flagstaff (Sedona, grand canion), then... Vegas ?

Keep going West, young man.

But, if I think twice, Flagstaff is on the high plateau. Nights are still damn cold at this time of the year for a camper, there.
See, at Flagstaff altitude (above 6000 feet) it's about 25-30 degrees cooller than Phoenix.
I had 38F in Holbrook, and Flagstaff, at night, in mid may, in 2017. They had snow in santa fe, same period, same year. North shore of grand canyon only opens from the 3rd week of may, for this reason.

You should head south-west now, toward phoenix. Then toward the pacific. Ever see a Joshua tree ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Where to go next, from Albuquerque ?

Well, depends how much more time / money you still have and what you really want to do and see in this trip.

From Albuquerque, I think you should make a small trip north, to see Santa Fe.
Then, you can come back and push it deeper west, at least, to pass the continental divide.
From Gallup, NM, you could go north, toward shiprock, monumemt valley, etc.

But, at this time of the year, I wouldn't go too far north.

From santa fe, your next step could be Holbrook AZ, (meteor crater, petrified forest, painted desert, winslow), then Flagstaff (Sedona, grand canion), then... Vegas ?

Keep going West, young man.

But, if I think twice, Flagstaff is on the high plateau. Nights are still damn cold at this time of the year for a camper, there.
See, at Flagstaff altitude (above 6000 feet) it's about 25-30 degrees cooller than Phoenix.
I had 38F in Holbrook, and Flagstaff, at night, in mid may, in 2017. They had snow in santa fe, same period, same year. North shore of grand canyon only opens from the 3rd week of may, for this reason.

You should head south-west now, toward phoenix. Then toward the pacific. Ever see a Joshua tree ?
Yea, im heading to pagosa springs later this week, which is at 7000 ft. After the grandkids wear me out, im splitting to parts unknown. I spent more money than anticipated, but ill b fine.
shocklingly, i enjoyed camping more than i expected. My experience w the wrong gear last year left me w a bad impression.
so, i fly with the weather! Every day has been a pleasurefor sure. I checked my odometer today and discovered ive already had 3900 mi of pleasure! Not too bad for a meandering geezer!

ChriSTian_64

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
@mmmsted, Pagosa Spring is at 7000 feet ?
Ouch !

Remember that, for every 1000 feet of altitude, you're loosing, on average, 3.5 degree F.

So, climbing to 7000 feet, it will be about 25F cooler.

That is why, I think, the best for now is to stay where it is warmer, that is a bit more south, because it is lower in altitude.

North of Arizona stands at 8000 feet, while the south is at 1000 feet. That is a 25 F difference. For a guy sleeping in a tent, it makes a difference.

It's like in summer, when you are at the base of mont washington. 78F, in T-Shirt and shorts, life is good.
You're climbing at the summit (or take the road for the top) and there, it is 45-50, and with the wind factor, you're freezing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom