Im leaving boston

ChriSTian_64

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Micheal, I know you are a bit busy on the road, but, on your other thread, have you seen the new post about a red left mirror in colorado ? Just what you need. The guy is asking 149, but he is also open to offers. Send him an email.

Chris

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Micheal, I know you are a bit busy on the road, but, on your other thread, have you seen the new post about a red left mirror in colorado ? Just what you need. The guy is asking 149, but he is also open to offers. Send him an email.

Chris
Yes, i have. Will b looking into it soon. To make things worse, i dumped in the sand at the teepee and have to see if they can buff the right miror out. Pissah! Considering i blew a nice rear 31 last year, ill just roll w the expense. When does touring become cheap!

Bike
R1200rt
They are the 31’s. On gravel they scare the crap out of me. A bit skatey! Im taking a riding course when i get back to the city.
you can take all the riding courses you want but a t31 won't do any better on sand or gravel.... you need and adventure bike with appropriate tires.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
They are street tires.. heck, on the Vstrom and Super Tenere I had I didn't like sand/gravel... it's just the way it is.. take it slow and try to look ahead and anticipate the surface... sand can be tricky and deceptive.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
They are street tires.. heck, on the Vstrom and Super Tenere I had I didn't like sand/gravel... it's just the way it is.. take it slow and try to look ahead and anticipate the surface... sand can be tricky and deceptive.
Riding in gravel and sand is a bit like a bank robbery - don't nobody make any sudden moves and won't nobody get hurt ... :biggrin:

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Riding in gravel and sand is a bit like a bank robbery - don't nobody make any sudden moves and won't nobody get hurt ... :biggrin:
riding a dirt bike helps you get familiar/comfortable with the way the bike squirms around on those types of surfaces, but you still have to be very careful when stopping and turning. Also, standing on the pegs, or at least raising your butt off the seat to put all your weight on the pegs, lowers the center of gravity, which helps a bit with stability.

Bike
2014 ST1300
riding a dirt bike helps you get familiar/comfortable with the way the bike squirms around on those types of surfaces, but you still have to be very careful when stopping and turning. Also, standing on the pegs, or at least raising your butt off the seat to put all your weight on the pegs, lowers the center of gravity, which helps a bit with stability.
Gees, I don't know. I have pretty thick skull. Wouldn't standing up raise the centre of gravity? :D

TPadden

Tom Padden
Gees, I don't know. I have pretty thick skull. Wouldn't standing up raise the centre of gravity? :D
Nope, it would only raise the bikes COG if your foot pegs were above your seat.

For an old guy, on a heavy road bike, I don't think it makes any difference; my sense of balance is much better with my body's COG firmly planted in the seat. :cool:

Tom

Last edited:
Bike
R1200rt
the center of gravity on a dirt bike is fairly high to begin. Some have as much as 12 inches of suspension travel. If you have ever done really stupid stuff on a dirt bike you would know why you stand.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I think it lowers it because your weight is now suspended only at a lower point of contact- the foot pegs- rather than the saddle. Although your torso is higher, as long a you flex your legs the net result is that your weight is transferred to a lower point than when you are seated. If it isn't the c/g directly then it's the center of balance that moves.

Engineers among us, pronounce me wrong if I am. I can take it.

Top Bottom