I'm stuck... HF tire changer with No Mar bar

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
I've read where people are using HF tire changer with success. All I can seem to do is dismount tires. I've got a No Mar bar, which is a bit better. But I still can't get a tire on.

I've seen videos everywhere, but they seem to be sportbikes. I've read that Sport touring side walls are stiffer. No Mar's vids have one with GW tire - but they use irons.... I'm using the technique No Mar suggests, using the bar.

Whats the trick with ST tires, with the HF? I'm mounting 021's, last time I was mounting PR's.

:confused:

Thanks for any tips,

Tom de

OP
OP
tdeboeser

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
I watched the GL mounting... wish I saw it before I got the NM bar... But I read in other threads here that people are doing it... maybe they all use spoons... umm... wife won't like another purchase...

Any one in the DC, with spoons willing to lead them out? :(

Thanks,

Tom de

Bike
st1300
STOC #
I mounted a set of Stones with the HF changer & no mar bar... lots of lube. keep the side opposite the no mar bar tool bushed down. I used two clamps & was able to do the change by my self with no rim or tire damage. I used the HF tool to hold the starting point & the No Mar Bar to work the tire around. Wish I could explain it better, but, just know it's doable.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Bob has it right.
I use the HF and on the opposite side from the bar I use 3 small 1x2x to keep the edge of the tire in the valley of the rim.

I have *never* been able to mount the tires the way the video shows; but, then I don't work with the tools every day (or sell them) either!.

Mark

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
+1 on Mark's comments. I just mounted the rear tire on my HF changer and I don't have the Nomar bar. I just used the bar that came with my HF and three pieces of wood that I kept moving as I pulled the bar around the rim. Lube the inside of the wheel and the tire bead well and sweat a lot and walla, the tire is on.

As far as the video of the Nomar man, did you check out the arms on that dude??? His arms are as big as my legs!!!

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Never changed my own tires, but I watch the guy do it last time. The couple of "tricks" I saw him do was:

1. Laid the tires out on the concrete in the sun before he started taking the wheels off. This will heat them up and make them more flexible.

2. When putting on the tire he used Motorcycle stuff(Honda cleaner would work) and sprayed the side wall. I asked him what that was for and he said it was the best stuff he had ever used to get a tire on, makes them slide on easier.

Ok..thats all I know! Don't know if it will help or not.

Landon

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I use the HF changer and I have mounted about 15 tires so far - Stones and Dunlops. Getting them off the wheel is a lot easier than getting a new tire back on. Assistance from a helper makes the job 3x easier and faster. I use HD C clamps to hold the tire edge towards the center of the wheel and 3 bars to work it on. I've done it by myself, but only when I am in the mood for a workout..

OP
OP
tdeboeser

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
Thanks, for the tips guys. It gives me hope. Another question, my clamps seem to slip with all the lube. Are you clamping before the side wall? And do you really crank the clamp down?

Number9 I almost hate your video... you make it look too easy :D.

I'll probably get to this on Wed.

Thanks again,

Tom de

Last edited:

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Tom

Clamp on the side wall and use lube sparingly only where needed, mostly on the rim and a little on the tire. Sometimes I find that using a large parallel cabinetmakers clamp on the stiff tires is easier, but that's not my usual practice because the C clamps are quicker to position and give better spot control.

number9

Thanks, for the tips guys. It gives me hope. Another question, my clamps seem to slip with all the lube. Are you clamping before the side wall? And do you really crank the clamp down?

Number9 I almost hate your video... you make it look too easy :D.

I'll probably get to this on Wed.

Thanks again,

Tom de

When I first got the changer, I glued strips of bicycle inner tube to the areas on the changer that my wheel would be touching - clamps/bead breaker and bead breaker seat. Over time the rubber began tearing loose so I got some brush-on rubber tool handle stuff from Harbor Freight and put it on the areas. Again, over time this started to peel and you have to re-apply. The clamps are where it peels the most so lately I have just wrapped several layers of regular old black tape around the clamps and it has worked out okay. Keep in mind I have changed many sets of tires so the rubber stuff will last a while if you get lots of miles from your tires and only change them on one bike.

I do crank the clamp down pretty good, BUT I be sure to line the clamps up with the 3 spokes of the wheel in an effort to avoid egging it. The C-clamps help a lot on keeping the bead in the center of the wheel.

One other thing...........I don't use Simple Green as a lubricant like I did in the video. I have used it a couple times in a pinch. I did on the video because it was WAY hot & humid the day I shot it and I was roasting so I just shot some on there to get the tire on quickly. That and the fact that was hours before my wife gave birth to our son - she was walking around the garage in the beginning stages of labor but being our first child she didn't know if it was *real* labor pains or not and didn't want to go to the hospital too soon :p:

OP
OP
tdeboeser

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
I've been using C-clamps and wooden blocks. Although, probably not as aggressive as i need to be ( but not overly ). Keeping the tire in the valley is more difficult than it would seem... at least for me.

But I think thats probably the biggest part of the changing. umm... I may go home early.

Tom de

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I've been using C-clamps and wooden blocks. Although, probably not as aggressive as i need to be ( but not overly ). Keeping the tire in the valley is more difficult than it would seem... at least for me.

But I think thats probably the biggest part of the changing. umm... I may go home early.

Tom de
Tom,

Is there anyone one around that uses an HF that you can offer beer to so you can see how they do it (or better yet have them come to your house and kibitz while they drink your beer! :D)?

Mark

number9

^ That's a copy of the Wicko bar. Very good bar and makes the difference.

OP
OP
tdeboeser

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
start time 10am .... it can't be done...

gezzz Im doing everything... i get right to where the tire should fold over. Then either the wood blocks pop loose or clamps loose grip. The No Mar dismount tip is bent now...

wish i'd seen that No mar GL tire install before i bought the bar.

OP
OP
tdeboeser

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
done. A few scratches, lots of lube and treating the tire like a lady ( less muscle, more persuasion ), got the rear on. Front went on in about 10mins...

once I found a technique, its not so bad. But I'm still gonna order some irons.

Thanks again for the tips....

Tom de

Last edited:
Top Bottom