Impact Driver Saves the day!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
A couple of weeks ago I was pulling a bunch of maintenance on my bike and one of the things I wanted to do was to flush and bleed the brakes and clutch. It was getting late, Byron and Marc were finishing up on Marc's bike and I was just getting too tired, but thought I'd open up the brake resevor and check it out, since it's been a while since they were last touched.

When I tried to loosen the screw, my screw driver just buggered up the head! :eek:4: So I just left it alone for then and figured I'd take care of it later. Well, yesterday I thought of my Impact Screw Driver and I should try it. But before I did that I had to make sure the replacement screws would fit. So I pulled out some Allen head screws out that I got for my Sabre's Brake and Clucth resevors and they were a prefect match! :clap2:

I then grabbed my Impact Screw Driver and got the smallest Phillips on it and gave it a couple of wacks and both screws came out just fine! So now that I have the Allen Head Screws on, I can go ahead and start flushing out the lines! :hat1:

Now pickup a screw extractor for when you strip the allen heads... :p:

<D>

A couple of weeks ago I was pulling a bunch of maintenance on my bike and one of the things I wanted to do was to flush and bleed the brakes and clutch. It was getting late, Byron and Marc were finishing up on Marc's bike and I was just getting too tired, but thought I'd open up the brake resevor and check it out, since it's been a while since they were last touched.

When I tried to loosen the screw, my screw driver just buggered up the head! :eek:4: So I just left it alone for then and figured I'd take care of it later. Well, yesterday I thought of my Impact Screw Driver and I should try it. But before I did that I had to make sure the replacement screws would fit. So I pulled out some Allen head screws out that I got for my Sabre's Brake and Clucth resevors and they were a prefect match! :clap2:

I then grabbed my Impact Screw Driver and got the smallest Phillips on it and gave it a couple of wacks and both screws came out just fine! So now that I have the Allen Head Screws on, I can go ahead and start flushing out the lines! :hat1:

I've got one of those impact guys. Sits around for years at a time with nuthin' to do but when ya need it it's a life saver. :)

:06biker: :06biker:

I've got one of those impact guys. Sits around for years at a time with nuthin' to do but when ya need it it's a life saver. :)

:06biker: :06biker:

I bought my first years ago for my 72 Yamaha 250 Twin. The points were under three Phillips head screws and they were a real pain to remove.

Since then I have used the impact screw driver , maybe a dozen times. A few years ago, My father-in-law bought me a real nice one, I think this was maybe the first or second time I used it! :clap2:

I bought my first years ago for my 72 Yamaha 250 Twin. The points were under three Phillips head screws and they were a real pain to remove.

Yep, around 70~71 I worked at a Honda shop and, bein' the kid, I'd do tuneups on new bikes. Every mechanic there had an impact and used it frequently on various covers like that.

:06biker: :06biker: :06biker:

If you use some anti-seize on the screw threads, you'll have a nicer time next time. Steel or stainless in aluminum ain't friendly.

You're right, but I had the brakes bleed by a stealer (dec 2007) and he must of used anti-anti-seize on those screws! :cus:

Yep, around 70~71 I worked at a Honda shop and, bein' the kid, I'd do tuneups on new bikes. Every mechanic there had an impact and used it frequently on various covers like that.

My how times have changed! :clap2:

When I was working as a MC wrench in the 70's and 80's that was the most important tool in the tool box. The most used was a high quality #2 AND #3 Tee Handled screw drivers.

Any one that has ever spent time using tee-handled screwdrivers and socket handles will never give them up. If I were wrenching today the new high torque battery powered impact screwdrivers would probably be well used though.

When I was working as a MC wrench in the 70's and 80's that was the most important tool in the tool box. The most used was a high quality #2 AND #3 Tee Handled screw drivers.

Oh yeah, I had the T-handled screwdrivers too! They did work slick for all those Phillips head cover-screws you had to remove. I don't have 'em anymore. I think I recall having a tool box stolen back in the 80s that had a bunch of that stuff in it. :| My old impact driver was gone too. My current one is the Harbor Freight cheapy.

If you use some anti-seize on the screw threads, you'll have a nicer time next time. Steel or stainless in aluminum ain't friendly.

Or maybe just two-finger tighten. There is no reason for those screws to be torqued down beyond finger (not fist) tight. (It's disturbing that a trained technician ham-fists reservoir screws.)

Back
Top Bottom