Info needed-Gold Valve Fork kit

georgiast

Failure is NOT an option...
Anyone done their own Gold Valve fork kit install?

I have a front fork seal weeping a bit, and am planning on installing new seals at a minimum.

I figured I might explore some other options as well, i.e. valve kit and/or new springs.

Any and all info. and suggestions are welcome.

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I have RT gold valve kit/oil and Hyperpro progressive springs in garage waiting to be installed. I've been too chicken to tear forks apart to date. I'm curious to responses to your question too. ;)

Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I did the install this winter. Pretty straightforward, but their instructions suck.

I posted pics to the ST-Riders list on the before and after look of the cartridge rod should look like. That was the most mysterious and confusing bit of the install.

http://www.stocrallies.com/st-riders/index.php?topic=5135.msg41947#msg41947

One other tip - I also did the fork spring install as well. You will need to either cut down the exisitng spaces or fashion new ones from Sch.40 PVC. I called Race-Tech's tech department to get recommended preload setting. They suggested 15mm, which does give a softer ride.

I also used their synthetic 5W fork oil.

Took it out for a ride this past weekend. All I can say is WOW! Plusher but more controlled is the best way to describe the ride. Really soaks up bumps and ruts in a very controlled manner. Also had to adjust my shock (have the Penske installed in the rear) to balance front and back end. Took out pre-load and lengthened overall shock height.

Amazing. Just amazing is all I can say. Well worth the $$$.

If you talk to Race Tech they will recommend changing out the rebound part as well. Give them a call and ask what parts to order.

Bike
GL1800
STOC #
+1 on ordering direct from Race Tech. Matt is good people and their tech staff helpful and friendly - plus they know their product.

Ask. They'll prolly give you the WESTOC discount if you ask nicely.

Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
I've done the RT installation on my Wing and my BMW F650 and like the others have posted, Matt is very helpful. It transformed the ride on those two bikes and I'll eventually do it to my ST as well.

indypup

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
The Kit that RT recommended for my '07 was FMGVS2057C. Honda made some changes to the forks in '08 so '08 and above have different part number.

That kit that Direct Line sells isn't the right one. It's not even the right size. I've told them about it but they just ignored me.

OP
OP
georgiast

georgiast

Failure is NOT an option...
Thanks for that info. Sounded too cheap to be true...

The Kit that RT recommended for my '07 was FMGVS2057C. Honda made some changes to the forks in '08 so '08 and above have different part number.

That kit that Direct Line sells isn't the right one. It's not even the right size. I've told them about it but they just ignored me.

indypup

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for that info. Sounded too cheap to be true...

FYI, some more info in regards to buying from directline. I bought the wrong kit first from them and then called RT to find out what the deal was. I shipped back the wrong kit to directline and they sold me the right one and also gave me 20% discount. :D (I told them that's what I could get it for directly from RT...)

They told me at the time they were going to update their web site. The MSRP for the right kit is $399.00 and the WeSTOC discount is 20% I think.

This all happened back in Febuary and they still haven't updated their website. :shrug1:

Top Bottom