Information On Motorcycle Air Vests

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Having suffering two lower speed crashes recently resulting in broken ribs, I am very interested in air vests (burnt child fears the fire as we say).
My questions are (and add to them as hopefully this thread will be a good resource on the topic).

1. What brand do you use?
2. What was the cost (with all the extra stuff you need)?
3. How does your model run as far as sizing goes compared to MC jacket sizing?
4. How long have you had it and have you encountered any issues?
5. What body parts does it protect well (especially concerned about my ribs)?
6. Do you have a E version or a tethered version (and why)?
7. If tethered, where do you attach the tether on your motorcycle?
8. If you have had problems, how was the support?
9. Can you 'recharge' the vest if fired yourself or is it a 'send in'?
10. Is it an 'over the jacket', 'under the jacket' or 'built in' (and why did you chose that model)?
11. How well does it ventilate in very warm weather and humidity?
12. Have you had the unfortunate occasion for it to work and how well did it work?
13. Would you buy it again?

Please do not turn this thread into a debate about whether I should get one or not - start your own thread on that topic! ;)
I am looking for real world experiences not theoretical postulations on this subject.
Thanks for your input in advance!

Last edited:

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Having suffering two lower speed crashes recently resulting in broken ribs, I am very interested in air vests (burnt child fears the fire as we say).
My questions are (and add to them as hopefully this thread will be a good resource on the topic).

1. What brand do you use? Hit Air- High viz yellow
2. What was the cost (with all the extra stuff you need)? $489 all inclusive including the CO2 canister (60G)
3. How does your model run as far as sizing goes compared to MC jacket sizing? (Runs a little smaller- mine is a Xl-2x I believe, but I have extension fasteners I no longer use as I lost 40#)
4. How long have you had it and have you encountered any issues? None
5. What body parts does it protect well (especially concerned about my ribs)? Neck, spine, shoulders (upper aspect), and ribs
6. Do you have a E version or a tethered version (and why)? Tethered- no subscription and I really don’t trust electronics
7. If tethered, where do you attach the tether on your motorcycle? Probably the wrong area- right handlebar just to the middle of the controls so it can’t come free- should really be to the area under the plastics midship but that makes it more difficult to access the attachment point
8. If you have had problems, how was the support? No issues so I haven’t had need to contact them
9. Can you 'recharge' the vest if fired yourself or is it a 'send in'? Repack it like a parachute as long as the ‘bladder’ of it isn’t damaged
10. Is it an 'over the jacket', 'under the jacket' or 'built in' (and why did you chose that model)? Over the jacket or armored shirt that I wear frequently when it’s warm out
11. How well does it ventilate in very warm weather and humidity? Very well, lots of openings
12. Have you had the unfortunate occasion for it to work and how well did it work? No crashes (keeps fingers crossed)

Please do not turn this thread into a debate about whether I should get one or not - start your own thread on that topic! ;)
I am looking for real world experiences not theoretical postulations on this subject.
Thanks for your input in advance!
^^ Expand my answers above so you can see them.
Many here like the Helite Turtle- my only reason for getting the Hit Air was lower cost at the time (now maybe 3-4 years ago- I’m sure they’re a bit more now). I‘m happy with what I have and it easily fits in the side bags of the ST (can be folded to fit). I highly recommend it based on my use of it- like wearing a seatbelt- once you use it you won’t ride without it. Here is a YT video so you can see how it inflates and essentially how it works:

It takes a fair pull to get it to inflate, so realistically, even if you got off the bike at a stop and forgot to disconnect, it’s not going to activate- I think it requires 60 lbs of force to pull the cord to activate it.
When I get home tonight, I’ll take a pic of my attachment point setup

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
UP, I recently listened to a podcast about airbags on Adventure Rider Radio, that's all I can offer, as I have no personal experience.
I did find it informative, and it covered tethered and electronic ones.

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
Honda's been offering them for years on Goldwings. That's what I have. The downside is I am without when I'm on another bike. The upside is there's no air blockage on a hot day. To those who wear the vest type, how much discomfort, if any, do you experience wearing the vest in hot weather?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm curious about what get-offs the vests work with. In most cases, maybe all, you have to be separated from the bike so hitting an object that ejects the rider or a high side would activate it.

However, in a low side, many times the rider is still very close to the bike upon initial impact and will sometimes slide with the bike until it's weight and momentum cause it to separate and in that instance the air vest would activate but too late?

I get it, can't address every situation.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Essentially, the electronic ones have an IMU kind of sensor, that claims to be intelligent enough to tell the difference between a drop and a crash.
Some have an "adventure" mode, where you wouldn't want the airbag to deploy in every scenario... the logic and algorithms must be pretty sophisticated.
The podcast I alluded to discusses this, as airbags are now required for all Dakar racers too.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Dainese offer their Smart Jacket, no tether, all sensors internal, 26hrs battery life, breathable fabric, pack-able... $ 800,- though...

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I have the Helite. Probably should wear it more often than I do. Usually only on longer rides.
Cost - don't remember, but was a good sale price at the time.
Mine is XL, with the three adjustment straps as tight as they will go. (You would need it a bit larger)
Very comfortable and protected feeling.
Ribs,neck,back protected.
Tethered. It's easy. Just need to remember to snap it in but often forgotten. It's connected to the side rail just under the right side of the seat.
Have had no problems.
I got an extra do it yourself canister.
Over jacket. I leave the back armor in the jacket. Nothing feels bulky.
Have not noticed any extra heat issue.

Never triggered. Slight tug if I forget to unplug it when dismounting. Not a big deal.

edit .. I just checked pricing. wow .. I got it at about half current price !

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
They are pretty pricey - but if it saves me from one rib break I'll gladly pay it! :biggrin:
In every low speed 'experiment' I've done I very quickly became 'detached' from the bike through no choice of my own. ;)
I think it is the principle of two masses of different weights quickly travel at different speeds.
If you tried to hold on to the bike, yes the tether would be a problem IMHO but I've not been able/wanted to hold on.
My trouble with the electronic is the electronics and especially those that require additional sensors on the forks (which you can't get with the E Helite AFAIK).
As one person on another forum pointed out, the difference between 40ms and 80ms inflation start time is probably not a big deal in reality.
Please keep the inputs coming as I value them greatly.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Warm weather has never been a hindrance to me using it. I agree in a low side where you don’t separate from the bike, it may not inflate, but as Phil said, it’s probable you are going to go a distance from the motorcycle in a crash.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
1. What brand do you use? Helite Turtle
2. What was the cost (with all the extra stuff you need)? I think $500 or $600 plus I bought an extra cartridge to have on hand.
3. How does your model run as far as sizing goes compared to MC jacket sizing? I'm 6'1" (or I was) 170ish lbs and wear a large. Not long, just large.
4. How long have you had it and have you encountered any issues? Since before Covid when I was commuting into SF. Sometimes my left rhomboid will really start hurting, but I think that's just me as opposed to the vest hanging heavy since it's long enough that the back side will create some lift when sitting.
5. What body parts does it protect well (especially concerned about my ribs)? You're covered for most of the really important stuff. To me, the neck is way more important than ribs.
6. Do you have a E version or a tethered version (and why)? Tethered - I work with software developers.
7. If tethered, where do you attach the tether on your motorcycle? Frame - the tether came up between the seat and fake gas tank when I had the ST1100.
8. If you have had problems, how was the support? None. They used to be located a few miles from here and when I bought my second they threw in an extra couple of tethers and cartridges, so that was nice of them. The guys I worked with were great, but the moved to Reno last I knew.
9. Can you 'recharge' the vest if fired yourself or is it a 'send in'? Up to six times (IICR) assuming no obvious and real damage.
10. Is it an 'over the jacket', 'under the jacket' or 'built in' (and why did you chose that model)? Over anything - seemed more versatile since I can wear any jacket that fits me properly, plus I got fluorescent for safety because I don't care what anyone thinks of me. You can remove the jacket's back armor, but I usually just leave it in unless it's going to be really hot and a long day riding, then maybe remove it.
11. How well does it ventilate in very warm weather and humidity? We don't get much humidity out west, but I'm fairly heat-tolerant and always wear it on tours, even through the central valley in summer. I just add a wet vest and I'm good.
12. Have you had the unfortunate occasion for it to work and how well did it work? Thankfully, no. Lately I've only been wearing it on tours, but should wear it more, especially since it's paid for.

Probably want to add one more question:
13. Would you buy it again? For sure, unless there was some proof that a better model was available AND the ones I own needed to be replaced. I once saw a demo video where they pulled a car out in front of a rider who went over the bars and hood of the car, and it was convincing. I may look like a dork, but again I don't care, and you can buy black if it's an issue.

I think in summary, if you can swing the cost and even knowing none of them will work in every event, it's worth the extra protection afforded.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ryan - Thanks - especially for the tip where to anchor on the ST1100 - additional question added to list! ;)
I was thinking around the 'seat' post' but I guess the frame in that area would work better.
These kinds of responses are exactly what I am interested in.
They are a great help to me and I think will be a help to others looking at these vests.

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
Hey Uncle Phil, Happy New ear!

I think there’s a good body of knowledge above which I won’t add to unnecessarily. I have a light turtle which I’m thrilled with. I paid about $300 Canadian for a used one which never been worn, and still had all the tags on it. So from a cost perspective, mine doesn’t count.

I attached my tether to the frame and brought the tether out between the right side of the seat and the tank. Worked really well however, it did make it a bit of a challenge standing up crossing railroad tracks, etc. I could sort of crouch with my butt up out of the seat, but not standing up like I normally would.

I like the additional question of whether or not, I would buy one again. And the straight answers, absolutely I would.

I prefer the tethered type. My confidence in the electronic type isn’t enough to write a cheque.

However, buy one. Period. Doesn’t matter which one you get, just buy it and wear it. I can’t imagine riding without one.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
I started racing about 10-yrs ago and gradually increased my safety gear. I low-sided couple times on track before getting Hit Air vest and wasn’t too worried about impacts since I was close to ground and just slid & rolled to stop. On streets, I would definitely be worried about sliding into kerbs, light-poles or guard-rails after low-siding.

About 5-yrs ago, I had 90-mph high-side at end of race at Thunderhill. Good news is vest inflated fully when I was still on upward tragectory. I got as high as 7-8ft, came down flat face-first and smashed my helmet into tarmac. It did its job and cracked outside layer to dissipate energy.

That impact would’ve broken some ribs for sure if it wasn’t for vest. It cushioned really well, which bounced and flipped me over as I was flying towards edge of track. I landed on my side sliding feet-first off edge of track. This is unfortunate part, the sliding motion pushed vest upwards and I impacted my waist onto track just before tumbling into dirt.

Some photos of minor damage. Worse was bruise from faceplant.

Bruise on my side from where I landed 2nd time and vest slid upwards.

Bruises on inside of elbow, upper-thigh & knee.

Overall, not too bad. I was able to get up and walk away without too much difficulty. I had attached tether to rear pivot bolt of CBR600RR tank and it came out on right side at where seat overlaps tank. I looked it over when I got home and it was in good shape with no tears. I replaced CO2 cartridge and it was ready to go. They said it’s good for 6 inflations before needing to be sent in for inspection and repairs if needed.

A year later, I lowsided @85mph in practice coming down hill at Sears Point Sonoma. Luckily I was going into S-turns and only slid on 5-ft of tarmac before landing on cold damp grass. My LONG slide was keeping up with riders on track behind me! Am I gonna slide back onto track and get run over?? Luckily my slide was parallel to track and I stopped on grass.

Vest deployed just fine and only injuriy was bruise inside arm that got splayed out by lowside.

At end of this season, I sent vest in for inspection. Customer support had been great. It came back verified functional. I sold it and got Dianese Smart D-air V2 vest so I can wear it under suit to alleviate any issues with it getting hiked up in slide. Both vests didn’t cause any comfort issues, really not noticeable when wearing full leather suit. I was worried about D-air vest being too snug under suit. But I had lost some weight and it fit just fine. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I started racing about 10-yrs ago and gradually increased my safety gear. I low-sided couple times on track before getting Hit Air vest and wasn’t too worried about impacts since I was close to ground and just slid & rolled to stop. On streets, I would definitely be worried about sliding into kerbs, light-poles or guard-rails after low-siding.

About 5-yrs ago, I had 90-mph high-side at end of race at Thunderhill. Good news is vest inflated fully when I was still on upward tragectory. I got as high as 7-8ft, came down flat face-first and smashed my helmet into tarmac. It did its job and cracked outside layer to dissipate energy.

That impact would’ve broken some ribs for sure if it wasn’t for vest. It cushioned really well, which bounced and flipped me over as I was flying towards edge of track. I landed on my side sliding feet-first off edge of track. This is unfortunate part, the sliding motion pushed vest upwards and I impacted my waist onto track just before tumbling into dirt.

Some photos of minor damage. Worse was bruise from faceplant.

Bruise on my side from where I landed 2nd time and vest slid upwards.

Bruises on inside of elbow, upper-thigh & knee.

Overall, not too bad. I was able to get up and walk away without too much difficulty. I had attached tether to rear pivot bolt of tank and it came out on right side at where seat overlaps tank. I looked it over when I got home and it was in good shape with no tears. I replaced CO2 cartridge and it was ready to go. They said it’s good for 6 inflations before needing to be sent in for inspection and repairs if needed.

A year later, I lowsided @85mph in practice coming down hill at Sears Point Sonoma. Luckily I was going into S-turns and only slid on 5-ft of tarmac before landing on cold damp grass. My LONG slide was keeping up with riders track after me! Am I gonna slide back onto track and get run over?? Well, my trajectory was parallel to track and I stopped on grass.

Vest deployed just fine and only injuriy was bruise inside arm that got splayed out by lowside.

At end of this season, I sent vest in for inspection. It came back verified functional. I sold it and got Dianese Smart D-air V2 vest so I can wear it under suit to alleviate any issues with it getting hiked up in slide.
Oh, I've got a real 'pretty' purple right hip from the waist down to middle of the thigh!
Mine hurts really bad but not as bad as my ribs.
Thanks for your input on the HIT unit.
The idea of riding up in a crash is one I will have to noodle on.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I've read vest-wearing rider crash reports where some had the wind knocked out of them when the vest inflated. One of them thought at first they had broken some ribs, when he could not initially breathe, but after 30 seconds or so, he recognized what had happened. This one rider was wearing the vest under his riding jacket, so that contributed to the effect.
Was that your experience, Danno?
Several vest-centric threads on ADVrider.

STOC #
I was looking at alpinestars Andes jacket last year which will fit their air tech series airbags. Jacket fits at least 1 size too small The “5” series is best for rib coverage. Didn’t get either but may look at the airbag again.
Pretty good thread on advrider called “Looking for some serious rib protection for casual riding”
Seems like maybe helite doesn’t cover ribs as well as alpinestars. But alpinestars you need to disable when off the bike as friendly slap on back will set it off.(this from rider magazine review)
Looking forward to other’s experience

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Honda's been offering them for years on Goldwings. That's what I have. The downside is I am without when I'm on another bike.
You are also without it when and if you hit the ground hard as it only provides protection in frontal crashes like a front car airbag doesn't it?
In every low speed 'experiment' I've done I very quickly became 'detached' from the bike through no choice of my own.
I have been pondering these as well.
In a low side crash, be it high or low speed, besides being separated from the bike and hitting an object there is the possibility of hitting the ground before you become separated from the bike enough to activate the tether release. I am asking this from a position of ignorance as I have never seen one and don't know how long the tethers are, but in this case is it possible that the tether won't deploy the airbag before you hit the ground? If so, you may still end up with broken ribs. The electronic fall detection models likely would be more beneficial in this case if they got the algorithms right and if the electronics don't fail.

I realize that no one vest can possibly provide absolute protection in all scenarios, but while thinking about them it occurred to me that an airbag vest that has electronic fall detection as well as being tethered would provide the best of both technologies and would probably cover the most possible scenarios. Is such a version available?

Top Bottom