Installation of extend a fender

In order to install a extend a fender (front), do I have to remove the fender or just by removing the tire I can do it?

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
The trick is to have enough space for the clamps and the blocks of wood to spread the load so as to not crack the fender.

I suspect that it is actually easier to remove the fender than it is to remove the front wheel.

MerlF

Chuck Welsh
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300AD 2013
In order to install a extend a fender (front), do I have to remove the fender or just by removing the tire I can do it?
Having done it twice, I recommend removing the fender. Epoxy it and rivet it. The first one came loose from the glue only, the second hasn't moved. Good old Honda, fender is a small item which has three different screws holding it on.

Stump

Site Supporter
Bike
VFR1200X
STOC #
I've installed three.. do what they said. Tho I just used ABS primer and glue, no rivets. Make sure you orient the fender extension as close as possable and use tape on the bikes existing fender to keep squeeze out off the pretty painted bits.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Remove the fender, it will make life much easier. I used epoxy, no rivets, clamped it lightly overnight. Been on 2 years no issues.

Bike
2010 ST1300
This question was asked recently....Lookee Here. Read posts 10 and 13. I used nothing more than abs cement and it is still solid after several years. Clean the glued parts well, you might even lightly sand the inside of the fender to make sure its clean.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
IF you are going to attach the extension using ABS cement (I believe this is the preferred method - it is the method I used), you should remove the fender, because that allows you to place the fender itself upside-down and attach the extension from above. By doing it that way, you will ensure that no ABS cement will run down the outside of the extension... any drips will run down the inside surface of the fender itself.

It's quite easy to remove the fender from the motorcycle - in fact, it's quicker and easier to remove the fender than it is to remove the front tire. There are only 6 fasteners to undo - the 4 fasteners in front of the forks need a 5 mm hex key, and the two fasteners behind the forks need an 8 mm socket with an extension. You could use an 8 mm wrench, but it would be much easier to use a socket & extension. Once you have removed the fasteners, slide the fender out the front of the bike by "rolling" it around the tire.

As @SMSW noted, there is a concurrent discussion with lots of information about installing the extension at this post: Fender extender

Michael

Top Bottom