Insurance rates

skidgillen

Site Supporter
Bike
2005 ST1300PA
Anyone else's motorcycle insurance go up this year for no reason? Mine, Progressive, went up $40.00 for no reason. I'm assuming because of the economy.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Current thread on this topic on ADVrider, as well. Lots of speculation, some truth, and interesting input from a couple of riders who work or worked for USAA and Progressive.
Started with data gathering, over there... what data do they buy, how does it affect rates, how to avoid data gathering, etc.
Hint: riding an ST1300 with no GPS and no smart phone is an idea, for thise who wish to "fly under the radar", so to speak.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Its called greed. My rate with my company has stayed the same $50.00 per year for the last 5 years. Shop around.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Not only motorcycle, but car and house insurance as well. I dropped Foremost ( AARP provider) when they jacked mine up 70$, plus dropped some coverages. I just got done with shopping for car and house insurance as well. Not too strangely, a lot of the insurers were within 50$ of each other. I'm sure it's not collusion, right?

I finally did find some reasonable coverage, but it took hours to wade through the various offers. Paid to shop around though.

Bike
2010 ST1300
For years I kept my T3 Moto Guzzi insured w/ Progressive even though it was not in riding condition. The only coverage I had for it was the minimum liability they allowed. This 'garage queen' qualified me for a multi-bike discount that lowered my policy's total cost to less than that of a single bike. Go to a junk yard, pick up an old bike frame with a VIN, and insure it to lower your rates.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I just got a surprise from my insurance company. I was sent a letter stating that my home has a known defective Zinsco breaker panel made in the 1970's and they will drop my insurance if I don't replace it. I don't even know how they know what kind of electrical panel I have. I understand that some of these panels have caused fires and I could replace this panel myself as I have done enough wiring to handle this job. I have been informed that I must have a certified electrical contractor do the work and can't do the work myself. This is going to set me back 3500-4500 dollars as electrical contractors in my area of California are about double the cost of anywhere else in the country. I guess I should be glad I even have insurance at this point as many people in my area are losing insurance due to the losses from fires in the last couple of years. My son is scrambling to find insurance now as he lives near Santa Cruz, Ca and State Farm is dropping everyone in this area due to the fire danger.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
Mine has been $75 per year for a while now. I actually think it used to be $95 many years ago but not 100% sure.

Top Bottom