Intake Boots Leaking

Bike
2004 ST1300
So I've been chasing an engine performance issue which manifests itself as a light surging at low revs 2500 -3000 and a big flat spot when rolling on throttle lightly from cruising speed, as in transitioning form a downhill to an uphill. In hotter summer weather it gets worse.
Idles fine and accelerates hard and smooth.
I replaced the fuel pump and strainer and am waiting for a filter and packing gasket which are on back order.
Tank was spotlessly clean.
Did yet another starter valve sync (no change).
All vents are clear, and plugs replaced last year, (along with air filter), were checked and re-gapped.
While waiting for parts I thought I'd strip the body work and check ignition coil, mounts and terminals.
Found some corrosion and cleaned that up.
Next I thought I'd do a vacuum leak test around the throttle body intake boots.
Well, I found a leak, seems like it's on #1.
So I proceeded to tighten up all the boot clamps and to my disbelief I found that the lower clamps on #1 and #2 have been installed backwards with the screw heads facing the front of the bike, from which there is no access that I can see to adjust them with a long screwdriver.
Before I start contemplating TB removal to flip the clamps does anyone think it's possible to access them with the air box off and the rubber mat lifted at the front?
Either with a long screwdriver or 8 mm socket and extension(s)?
Also if i can get a tool on them do you think I can remove the screw and thread it from the opposite side so that the head is correctly oriented allowing access from behind the boot as it is supposed to be. Otherwise it's TB's off (sigh).
I'd like to tighten them up first and see if that cures the leak before proceeding further with replacement. From what I can see they look ok, not cracked.
Perhaps they were already replaced by a PO. Or a chimpanzee.
Bike is an 04 with only 17,000 km (10,500 miles).

Attachments

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The clamps that you are tightening, should NOT be tightened!
They are gently snugged to the correct measured distance between the flats on the clamps.
Tightening them will only cause more problems, and or, more air leaks.
I question why you think the clamps were put on backwards?
Depending on how the engine/bike was assembled, they can be assembled in several different ways.
there are several different tools that help adjust these correctly.
Search the articles, or perhaps SupraSabre will reach out and comment.
He's removed many TB assemblies, and has several good photo's of the correct method of attack needed to reach them.
Snap-On also makes a 1/4 inch drive flex driver that's about 18 inches long.
You can almost tie it in a knot and it still turns easily.

OP
OP
Rob20111
Bike
2004 ST1300
According to my Honda service manual the screw heads should be facing toward the rear of the bike so that you can get to them with a long screwdriver.
All the other clamps are correctly oriented except for #1 and #2 lower clamps.

OP
OP
Rob20111
Bike
2004 ST1300
Yes, I think the gap should be 7 mm?
Number 1 upper was very loose at almost double that.
I assume that the lower May be too.
this is where the leak is coming from after spraying with contact cleaner, engine running.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Yes, I think the gap should be 7 mm?
Number 1 upper was very loose at almost double that.
I assume that the lower May be too.
this is where the leak is coming from after spraying with contact cleaner, engine running.
Check your service manual, as there are two different gaps ;)

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Find a way to to tighten those clamps to the proper dimensions. If the throttle body has to come off to re-orient the clamps to be able to tighten them, it has to be done.
Document your journey so you can show us how you did it if you can.
Good luck

Last edited:

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
I note Larry's photo mentions Oil with the arrow to the top inner area... does that mean that once the band clamps are set - the TB's should just "Pop" into the 4 rubbers with a little downward force on those lubricated intakes?
And vice versa - they should just "Pop" off when you tug the TB's upwards?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I note Larry's photo mentions Oil with the arrow to the top inner area... does that mean that once the band clamps are set - the TB's should just "Pop" into the 4 rubbers with a little downward force on those lubricated intakes?
And vice versa - they should just "Pop" off when you tug the TB's upwards?
If you are referring to the picture that I added in post #6, yes, Honda recommends a thin film of oil to aid in installing the insulators and throttle bodies.
The lubricant will make it easier for installation, bit I doubt that it will help for removal. After the throttle bodies have been installed for a while the oil, and any benefit that it provided, will be long gone.

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
Ah, yep that's the one sorry Andrew, didn't clock it was your post :thumb:
My book page 5-68 shows that detail, might be worth a bit of thin oil / a light wiggle and a gentle tug to see if they break loose.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Its all about having the correct tool for the job.
20170327_180735.jpg

Top Bottom