Iphone mount for ST?

Diesel Dave

HOPS!
Bike
04 Candy ST1300
Anyone got an iPhone mounted on that "GPS Ball Mount" that attaches to the handlebar brackets?
Would like the bracket as iPhone is also GPS (Co-Pilot) etc etc

Ball mount is approx 1/2" dia.

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
Anyone got an iPhone mounted on that "GPS Ball Mount" that attaches to the handlebar brackets?
Would like the bracket as iPhone is also GPS (Co-Pilot) etc etc

Ball mount is approx 1/2" dia.
You're gonna do what?

I'm thinking a Iphone is way too fragile to mount on the handlebars of a motorcyle. How ya gonna work the touch screen??

I'm thinkin if you wanna GPS to ride with, just cash you're tax refund and get a REAL gps.

But if you're gonna mount it up there so ya can tawk goin down the road, then I dunno. Anybody calls me while I'm ridin, they can leave me a voice mail. :tc1:

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
The other train of thought, is that in the case of a wreck, you have a slightly better chance of using your phone if it is on your person rather than if it goes flying with the bike.
Dang.

Imrubicon

Wannabe Squid
STOC #
I have a ram mount for my iphone and the iphone connects to the helmet with bluetooth so I have internet radio and charge my phone plus can take a call if I see its someone I want to talk to. But it is a great map device also . I use one of those programs to let my wife know where I am . just a good device for many things

OP
OP
Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave

HOPS!
Bike
04 Candy ST1300
Nice save UNTMatt :D No worries there. I was planing to mount the phone on a ram mount ball coming from centre of the steering head, thereby reducing the instability of the unit. I don't plan to "go flying" otherwise I'd be driving a volvo. Just kiddin. :D All input is welcome and you make a very judicious and responsible point there. I will certainly take safety concerns like that into account.
For the record, I am looking into this as an alternative...
http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-iphone-3g-3gs-bolt-motorcycle-mount-ram-b-174-ap6u.html
I already have the "ball" mount for the steering head, so I have the option of either setup.
As someone said earlier, this is my: phone; navigator, GPS, weather, news, internet radio, ipod, text msg receiver etc etc portal all through the Autocomm, so it's handy to have online and at the good ol fingertips.
Thanks again and Regards, Dave

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I think I read that the Iphone touch screen won't work through the Aqua Box screen. Not sure. I know mine won't work with gloves on or if my fingers are wet or sweaty. My GPS will. For what it is worth.

Bike
2005 ST13
I use a RAM mount on the MCL bar risers. The iphone just clips in (if you have no case on it). Works fine. If you're worried about getting it wet, RAM-mount sells the aquabox.

While you can't operate the phone with gloves on, you _can_ moisten the tip of your glove and then it works fine.

I run the MagellanGPS app. I still need to run power to the phone, and then blue-tooth it to a yet un-purchased headset (either the Interphone F4, Sena, or scala G4).

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I think I read that the Iphone touch screen won't work through the Aqua Box screen. Not sure. I know mine won't work with gloves on or if my fingers are wet or sweaty. My GPS will. For what it is worth.
The problem is that these phones (iPhone and many like it) use capacitive touch screen not resistive touch like GPS. Capacitive detects electrical energy through your skin (ground I believe) and picks up where you touch. Resistive detects pressure so it isn't impacted by the insulating properties of gloves.

I did a trip where I used my phone for navigation. I discovered the limitation with trying to use the phone with gloves. However you could still use the phone even though it is in a zip lock back and or inside a heavy plastic clear cover such as a the map pouch in a tank bag. As long as you don't have gloves on.

However. I did a little searching and came across this thread so that we can modify our gloves so we can use devices like iPhones and Android Phones with gloves on.

Here is the link

Instructables

I have been looking at doing this very thing with my Android phone. For now I just turn it on and stuff it in my jacket pocket. I want to work out a mount though.

Bike
'08 BMW R1200GS
I also have a ram mount on the risers with the snap in case from ram mount. Have done a bunch of day trips and a 2500 mile trip with it. Not a problem with it staying in the case. I cut the tip off my left forefinger to work the touch screen. That does okay but I normally dont mess with it while I'm riding.:07biker:

Bike
03ST11P,94ST11A
STOC #
There are several people that have mounted phones. I have my HTC Touch Pro on a $10 gooseneck on my ST11. I primarily use it for nav but also mp3, and I have even read text/email as they have popped up. When I pick my daughter up at school I will surf or watch Youtube/Sprint TV while waiting for her.

OP
OP
Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave

HOPS!
Bike
04 Candy ST1300
Well - I ended up getting the RAM mount and I must say, I am most impressed with the quality of the unit. It is mostly made from die cast metal and is extremely robust.

I have had the iphone mounted for around 1000kms (600mi) and it seems to be rock solid.

Here it is with a lunch bag over it as I was expecting some spitting and showers for this particular ride.

Due to how secure it is, I can operate it (MP3 player & navigator) with one hand.

-

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I've used a ram mount for the past couple of years to keep my iphone handy. It was a great solution. Itnwas difficult to read at times becausenof the smaller screen. And wouldn't work with my gloves on. But worked well for awhile. This year I upgraded to a gps and love the larger size, music options, Bluetooth, and glove friendly. I'll post a pic of the ram mount if you don't find it.

Bike
2005 ST13
The next trick is to run power to it (the phone). I haven't resolved that design yet.

duet harness
powerlet or marine socket
(location TBD)
phone-to-outlet cable/voltage controller

As for locations; I think the left speaker cover has the nicest location. It would prevent opening the glovebox if something is plugged in. I thought about putting it in the hinged glovebox door. I didn't like the lower location, near the knees/ignition module.

http://www.MCL OUT OF BUSINESS - DO NOT ORDER/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_33_35&products_id=116&zenid=vfpv2t671c5pe2ticqrrcjl260

Top Bottom