Is Gerbing Microwire Jacket Better ?????

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Just bought a microwire liner yesterday. It is very thin - not windbreaker thin but not what I'd call a coat either. I certainly wouldn't wear it to try to stay warm if it weren't unplugged.

Caution: If you are buying one on without trying it on first you will need to go down one or two sizes. I have a 46" chest and walked out of Cyclegadgets wearing a medium liner. It is tight but I am planning on loosing some weight.

Also, the gloves (which have no standardization is sizes anyway) need to be a bit snug to transfer heat. I bought medium G3s which are tight on my hand.

Wore the jacket to work this morning wearing only a t-shirt underneath at 41 degrees F and could really feel the heat. Nice.

I think I'm gonna like this gear.
Mike

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I was NOT unhappy with my older (5 years old, wires & THINSULATE in liner) liner but I figured that the newer technology (advertised as being thinner & lighter) would be better. Unfortunately, I sold my older liner when I purchased my new Microwire liner.
Is this the same one you ended up selling?

http://www.heatedclothingoutlet.com/jacketLiner.shtml

If so, it may be worth just picking up one from here.

OP
OP
Purm1300
Bike
2014 BMW 1200 GSW
STOC #
The older liner I foolishly sold was 5 years old and DID NOT have a PDU (power distribution unit).

Mine had wires hanging fom the liner BUT was fully lined with Thinsulate.

Gerbing told me that they stopped lining their liners when they replaced the hanging wires with a PDU.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
JOHN - If the Gerbing stuff (and pretty much any other heated gear that I know of) does not fit fairly snug, the heat transfer is poor. That's where WarmNSafe got it right - they have elastic in their jacket liner for those who have expanding and sometime contracting torsos! ;-) If it's really cold out, I'll put a standard fleece lined jacket or a fleece pullover over the Gerbing jacket to keep the heat in under my Aerostich. My First Gear mesh has a windproof liners that also work for keeping the heat in.
UP, I noticed on the cycle gear website that the First Gear Warm n' Safe liner comes in a 65 watt and 90 watt version. What's your opinion on which is best?

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
RAY - I don't have a WarmNSafe so I don't have an 'experienced' opinion on them. I don't believe they have any Thinsulate or insulation in them so my gut feel would be to go for the 90 watt version. Better to have plenty of heat than too little since you can control it with the controller. Hope that helps. BTW, I have worn my old Gerbing (with Thinsulate) down to 19 degrees in fierce lake wind (with a fleece jacket over it under a Stich) and I was plenty warm!

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I have the (powerlet branded) warm&safe. Go for the higher wattage.
It's toasty @ sub freezing temps. They aren't insulated, pack really small.
Your riding gear provides the wind thermal rain protection. I think they recommend a thin layer under the the liner but I didn't have any hot spots
with just a tshirt under it. I think you'll find the liner better than a vest as well.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I have a WarmNSafe liner, I think 65 watt, and I liked the fact it would breathe, so did not consider the Gerbings liner. Uncle Phil is right, if it fits snug it will transfer heat better, and never layer up under it more than a t-shirt. I NEVER have this thing over half on a Heat-troller, never cold. If it's really cold outside, have windproof jacket or liner over it, and you'll never get cold. You do feel the wires, but that never bothered me, and I have no "hot spots".

The WarmNSafe also has glove circuits built in, connectors in the sleeves, and on the lower left side, if you want to run gloves separately, there is an option to plug in the second controller there.

The older liner I foolishly sold was 5 years old and DID NOT have a PDU (power distribution unit).

Mine had wires hanging fom the liner BUT was fully lined with Thinsulate.

Gerbing told me that they stopped lining their liners when they replaced the hanging wires with a PDU.
I rode in today at 31 degrees in preparation for heading to moonshine. I have the same problem as you - cold sides - with the microwire liner under my Firstgear Teton. I am going to have to add more insulation over the liner I think.

Top Bottom