Is it Possible to Add inches to the upper Brake Hose

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I need help understanding the hydraulic lines on the ST1300. The top brake hose is connected to the master cylinder with what looks to be a typical banjo connection. If you follow that line down you will see it attaches to a little metal box that I assume is some type of manifold having something to do with the linked brakes. Can someone tell me what that little box is called? If the upper hose was ordered would the little box be attached. Obviously I have not obtained a Service Manual and I?m trying to figure out how I could order a custom made brake line with an additional 3 inches. Ordering one with a banjo connection would not be a problem but I wouldn?t know how to order the attachment for the lower end. :confused:

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
From the looks of the diagrams on BikeBandit, the hose has a banjo on the top and a female fitting in the "block" on the lower end. I'm sure you could have a hose made up with the proper fittings and/or adapters.

I would opt for a braided stainless steel line set if I were doing it. There are kits available that you can order and specify the additional length at that time.

Check cyclebrakes.com, they will probably have a kit available. Good prices and quick service (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer!)

DAS

STOC #
I got braided ss lines for my 1100 +3" long from Galfer. They probably know what is needed on a 1300 too.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I appreciate the responses and I am going to contact each of the custom hydralic line companies suggested; but a local Honda Dealer informed me that it was not possible to add inches to the brake hose from the master cylender to the mysterious block at the other end because of the linked brake system. From what he said I interpreted that the OEM line came with the banjo attachment and the block attached and that the problem was finding a company that could conform the line with the block on the bottom end. Of course the banjo connector would be no problem. I will be glad to post what I finally find out. I also welcome any other responses that might address this problem. Thanks.

Steve

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I had a block on my ZZR and it was eliminated with a double banjo bolt and three copper washers
Red, did the ZZR have linked brake lines? The double banjo sounds somewhat like the extension lines Helibars provide with the Horizon bars. The way I understand their instructions, you remove the banjo bolt from the master cylinder, then attach their extension with a banjo bolt to the master cylinder. Then you re-attach the original banjo bolt still attached to the hose to the loose end of the extension. That's probably not what you did to the ZZR since you stated you eliminated the block because in thier set up the original brake line stays attached to the block with a 5" extension added to it.

DAS

STOC #
That's what I was thinking but didn't say. If a major aftermarket supplier has one for your yr./make/model then it will work. If they don't make one then it's probably not a very sure thing to cobble up something on your own.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Heli makes hose extentions for it's new bar system.
I've seen that on the Helibar website for the Horizon bars and waiting to see if I can obtain one from an after market brake cable company before contacting them. I don't know if they will sell a set without requiring purchase of the entire Horizon bar unit ($595.00). If they won't then maybe they can give me the name of the company that makes them. Thanks for response.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
...a local Honda Dealer informed me that it was not possible to add inches to the brake hose from the master cylender to the mysterious block at the other end because of the linked brake system.
...Which sounds a lot like the "because of 9/11" excuse we use for everything else. :rolleyes: Dealers won't say you can do anything Honda hasn't told them they can do. What they should really say is, "yes, it's possible, but it would be a custom job which we won't do and Honda wouldn't support."

A very long addition to the the brake line would cause problems, but a few inches won't. The problem will be the fittings, because neither one is something you can get off-the-shelf. The one at the top has a short metal rod sticking out that's used to keep everything properly aligned. You could probably get away with a standard fitting since you're adding extra length (and therefore some potential slack) to the hose. The "brick" at the bottom doesn't do anything other than serving as a transition point between the flexible hose and the steel line that goes to the ABS modulator. You'll find a similar brick where the modulator line returns and transitions back onto the forks. Non-ABS bikes use the same hose arrangement but have a short steel bypass that takes the place of the modulator circuit.

There are a couple of ways you might get this done, neither of which is plug-and-play:

One is buy a brand new OEM hose, cut it, attach standard fittings to the cuts and install unions and a short extension line between them. I don't know if any of the brake line houses would do that, but you could always ask. I'd definitely want the bike in the shop with the lines off and the risers on to make everything lines up just right. Getting the lengths right is critical because having to deal with too much extra slack could mean parts of the hose hitting parts of the bike they shouldn't or the areas near the fittings getting stressed because they approach at an angle and have to bend in ways they shouldn't. The added fittings would have to be carefully positioned so they don't come into repeated contact with other parts of the bike.

Another would be to mount a tee with one port plugged where the original brick was and build custom lines to the master cylinder and ABS modulator with standard fittings. (Or a custom bypass line for non-ABS.) Everything I said above about building custom lines applies here, too.

--Mark

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
...but a local Honda Dealer informed me that it was not possible to add inches to the brake hose from the master cylender to the mysterious block at the other end because of the linked brake system....
Deep fried baloney. :) Pressure is pressure, regardless of the few extra inches--the dealer just doesn't want the job. The only issue is if the hose slightly expands under pressure, then it takes a longer stroke of the lever to develop pressure, hence braided steel lines are often used to avoid that. Most folks report less lever stroke to reach braking pressure in the lines once they put braided steel in place.
:yes:

Top Bottom