Is The MotoCampers.com Website Safe To Visit?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I know that there are some members of this forum that are also members of MotoCampers.com. I also seem to recall that the administrator of that forum is a good friend of Joe so I hope that he or some of you guys can quell my apprehension about visiting that site. I am not a member of MotoCampers.com. I have gone to that site several times recently because of curiosity about the trailers that they use. I am considering joining the site to learn about them. However, whenever I go to that site the load on my CPU instantly jumps from around 6% to the 70% range and stays there for the entire time that I remain on the site. The CPU temperature immediately starts climbing drastically and the fans kick in to high gear to keep it cool. This remains the case as long as I am on that site. It does not matter what page of the site I am on- they all have the same effect. The instant that I leave that sight everything returns to normal. I have a new computer that does not work hard at all on any other site. As a reference no matter how long I am on ST-O the load on my CPU remains stable at around 5-7% and the temperature never climbs. The same is true of every other site that I visit except for MotoCampers.com. I have tested this by going there and leaving at least a dozen times over several days always with the same result. This has made leery about that site and has caused me to wonder if it is infected with something or is doing something in the background that I don't want being done to my computer.

The below attachments are a comparison of the CPU load and temperature between being on St-O (left image) for at least 30 minutes and then after only about 15 seconds on MotoCampers.com. The CPU load jumped to 74% and after a mere 15 seconds the temperature almost doubled. This was even though nothing was being down-loaded from the site. You can see in the right-hand image that the Wi-Fi tranfer rate was at 0 bytes/second.

ST-O.JPG MotoCampers.JPG

I would like to do some research on that site as it seems to have the information that I am looking for. However, because I do not know why this happens only with this site and because the change is immediate as soon as I load the homepage it concerns me. The site does not seem to be particularly heavily laden with graphics or with anything else that would explain the heavy load on the CPU.

So my questions for you are;
Do I need to be concerned?
Why does only that site do this?
Does anyone else have the same experience or troubles with MotoCampers.com?

Thanks for any insight.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It should be ok, it is running an old version of the software but I wouldn't have any issues with joining. We actually spoke about upgrading it to this software but not sure when I'll have time to do that for Rick aka Trailace who runs it now.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I don't know if it's safe or not, but my corporate firewall blocked it several months ago with some safety warning and when I try to visit it from home, Malwarebytes pops up a Trojan warning on every page. I don't know enough about it to allow it, so I quit visiting.

@Andrew - what are you running to monitor your hardware performance?

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
It's your choice on what to do with it, obviously.

I had two separate warnings come up immediately from both Malwarebytes and Norton. After loading, no ads loaded, which I found interesting. I expected there to be many running in the background causing your performance hit.

Trojan Warning.jpg

Doing a search on "allfontshere.press" came up with some interesting hits. This one was particularly interesting. Personally, I'd look elsewhere for your info. This shouldn't happen on anyone's forum.

2018-10-14 12_37_16-Warning Kage! This forum is using everyone's computer to mine bitcoin.jpg

Chris

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
It should be ok, it is running an old version of the software but I wouldn't have any issues with joining. We actually spoke about upgrading it to this software but not sure when I'll have time to do that for Rick aka Trailace who runs it now.
Joe:

Based on my experience and what replies were received above there is something funny with that website. It seems that I am not the only one who is hesitant to visit this site because of it. It might be worth mentioning it to your friend Rick as this might be costing him a lot of lost traffic.

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
@Andrew - what are you running to monitor your hardware performance?
I bought an MSI computer. Included with it was a utility suit called MSI Dragon Center. One of it's functionalities is this system monitor. See the attached below.

Dragon Center.JPG

The Cheese

I don't know computers well enough but I did manage to find a resource monitor on my Dell. My results were the same as above. Browsing the internet didn't have much impact on CPU usage. Soon as I go to motocampers I get all four cores pegged to 100%. Then it settles down a bit but not much. Stays over 75% usage as long as I'm there.

Whatever the reason, It can't be good.

Raj_Zin

AKA Steve
Bike
FJR1300A
STOC #
I read an article about cryptocurrency (e.g. Bitcoin) mining malware hidden in Adobe Flash updates recently. I think it was on CNet, but can't find it now.

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
All of what you all are describing sounds normal for C&C (Command and Control) site. I'd be willing to be the forum, (unpatched old code) was compromised by malware or trojan that connects your computer to a C&C master, which is making your PC a bot, do do whatever the 'master' wants.
I am far from a technophobe but even farther from being a savvy computer tech guy but it sounds to me like that would make this is a site that I should avoid?

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Yup. I won't go back.

If you do a search on "allfontshere.press", you'll find some references to how it not only takes over your computer if your anti-virus software doesn't catch it, but also how it can spread to other forums you visit.

There's nothing at any website that is worth the mess that can bring if your anti-virus software lets it in. Or another way to put it, is "when was your last backup"?

Chris

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Yikes! That certainly settles the issue for me.

MotoCampers must have been notified by now. They need to clean up their site.
Kind of a shame really. It seems like a good site and I was hoping to frequent it. Oh well- a few ruin it for everyone. Maybe some of the members here who are also on that site will pass on the message to their administrator and they will get it sorted.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
He's aware of the issue, we tried to track it down but couldn't find it. This was a few months ago. He needs to contact the host to see if they can run some utilities. He is also considering shutting it down due to not having the time to keep up with it. I'm not part of that effort anymore because my hands are full here and on www.NT-Owners.org.

I may help him convert the software at some point but this issue would need to be fixed first so it won't carry over.

Top Bottom