Is there a problem with Avon Storm II rear tires?

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
It is recommended for the 13 in UK tho? Wonder about that.

Gotta say, big diff between "opinion" and "assumption". Have to agree we're assuming there is some assumption among us the tire is faulty.

As to small numbers of failures, recalls don't always need a big number to get attention. Avon has been contacted and has not responded. Not good. That, as much as anything else, has driven me away.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
I understand the concerns, my main point would be to ask how many of these tyres actually went back to Avon for investigation AND complaint?

If the answer is either very few or none, don't be surprised at the lack of response from Avon......

In my opinion (and not just because I worked for them) Michelin have, or had, the best returns for complaint system, providing a proper written report on the damage and potential cause for it.

I would ALWAYS recommend sending any potentially faulty tyre back to the manufacturer under complaint if you have a problem. Not doing so will be detremental to the cause of any further complaints.

I would flag the Dunlop issue as being typical of what I mean, clearly sufficient action was taken by both end users AND Two Brothers, resulting in a reasonably positive outcome.

However, we all need to recognise there is a difference between a failure caused by an external cause, one caused by a fitting error, or a manufacturing defect.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
The scary part about Raven's failure: The tire was new, professionally fitted and properly inflated. How do I know it was properly inflated? Because Raven is anal about her daily check...much more than I am. It still could have been an external cause, but the chances of that are pretty diminished because of the rider/operator....If Raven says she didn't run over anything, she almost certainly didn't. If it had been me, I'd have had to say "I don't remember running over anything."

And again. The reason I went with the PRs is because Avon hasn't responded to Raven. Tim @ Two Brothers has, but not Avon. I have been running almost exclusively Avon since the old 'Venom' series...at least 30 tires....

Bike
ST1300 and ST11
It is recommended for the 13 in UK tho? , Avon has been contacted and has not responded. Not good. That, as much as anything else, has driven me away.
yes it is recommened in the UK so theres a valid argumant for you guys in the states and as for AVon not responding then thats even more reason to go to the press and highlight the problem to the public,
also one point to mention here is that just because a manufacturer does not "recommend" for a particular bike that does not mean it cannot be used and if it is used it should still do the job as intended
untill the day when the tyre has a marker on it stating " NOT TO BE USED ON ST1300" then you guyscan still hold the manufacture responsible if the tyre is proved faulty, ive said it enough now guys, dont sit back and do nothing , take a stand for your rights because after all it might evn save yours or other peoples lives

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The scary part about Raven's failure: The tire was new, professionally fitted and properly inflated. How do I know it was properly inflated? Because Raven is anal about her daily check...much more than I am. It still could have been an external cause, but the chances of that are pretty diminished because of the rider/operator....If Raven says she didn't run over anything, she almost certainly didn't. If it had been me, I'd have had to say "I don't remember running over anything."
Those are broad assumptions. As I recall that bike covered close to 900 miles that day and 700 the day before. Sure, we check the air pressure in the morning but it would be impossible to see every small nail, brad, or piece of wire (all of which I have picked up and caused a leak) while traveling 103 feet per second for hours on end. I couldn't make that assumption and believe it myself.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Is there a major problem with this tire on the ST? I don't know. The sample size is pretty small. That said, the sample size for Michelin and Bridgestone tires on the ST is similar size, and I don't recall ANY example of the sidewalls coming apart like this. Everyone makes their own risk assessment, but it would seem prudent to ME to avoid Avons in this application until more is known. It's not like it's the only tire choice available, and the potential consequences of a tire failure are serious.

STOC #
......also one point to mention here is that just because a manufacturer does not "recommend" for a particular bike that does not mean it cannot be used and if it is used it should still do the job as intended
untill the day when the tyre has a marker on it stating " NOT TO BE USED ON ST1300" then you guyscan still hold the manufacture responsible if the tyre is proved faulty.....
The absence of the recommendation allows the manufacturer a way to avoid liability. It would be an extraordinary burden for them to specifically state a tire should not be used on any particular model.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
The absence of the recommendation allows the manufacturer a way to avoid liability. It would be an extraordinary burden for them to specifically state a tire should not be used on any particular model.
They could have a blanket disclaimer about tires not to be used on any model not specifically recommended. But they'd certainly be cutting down on their business, and people would do it anyway...

STOC #
Right. I'm not suggesting that you people can't mount tires not specifically approved for their bike. But if a tire manufacturer specifies it for some models, but not others, they can certainly make a statement that a tire "was not approved" for a given model and they should be protected from legal action. I don't see how a company could be sued if they didn't specifically disprove it for a model.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It hasn't just been Raven. Dee and I had our rear STorm II tire blister on the inside on our trip a year ago in Dubuque, IA. We were blessed in that we discovered it before the tire came apart catastrophically. Is it possible that Spock accidently beamed up the air out of our tires instead of that rock sample they wanted? I'm sure that's a legitimate issue but until that's proven, we will not be running those tires again.
Spock is involved? Don't be absurd.

I don't discount anyone's opinion, experience, and choices here Matt. I was only replying to the assumption that anyone can ride 70+ miles an hour for 1700 miles and see every piece of FOD in the road over that distance and therefore know the tire pressure for every one of those miles.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I skimmed through all the pages but could have missed it. Was anything mentioned about varying weight of the bikes having different effects on the tires? The Storm 2 I put on in Ohio on my way to Moonshine in April wore great the 3000+ miles I rode solo until I got home, and hundreds of miles of solo riding after that. At the 4k mile mark, it looked virtually new, with just the slightest wear evident. It wore evenly, even though almost all the miles were on slab. No flat spot, feathering, or cupping.

Then we started doing a few 2-up rides. After a couple hundred mile ride it looked like someone had lowered the pressure to 10 lbs and did a 2-minute burnout. The center was worn. But the most apparent wear was on each side of center. There was a strip about an inch and a half wide to each side of center that looked like it had gotten hot, as if I had done a burnout. The same section was visibly worn much more in those couple hundred miles than it had in the previous 4000 miles. We did a couple other trips of about the same length with similar results. Any solo riding I did didn't cause noticeable wear, but a couple hundred mile 2-up ride did. The first ride was done at 42psi. I bumped up the pressure to 45psi for the other 2-up rides, with similar results.

Even though the tire looked like new at 4000 miles, it was toast at 6000 miles. The ending of it was when belts broke somewhat similar to the other photos I've seen with broken belts. In all honesty the tire was very worn at those spots, so whether it wore through and broke the belts, or the belts broke through, I can't say.

The only thing I can say for sure, is that even casual (not spirited) 2-up riding caused significant, and uneven, wear of this tire. I strongly believe that if we had struck out on a long trip, starting with a brand new tire, this tire would have heated up and caused serious problems within 1500-2000 miles.

While it was upsetting to see wear like that, now that I know this tire wasn't approved for the 1300, I can't very well blame Avon for my particular issue. If I were riding solo 100% of the time, even with my touring gear on, it looked like the tire would have lasted fine; and it handled fine. I probably could have "gotten away" with using it. It was the heavy load of two larger than average riders that pushed it beyond what it can handle.

Jim

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
Ok I have been following this thread for sometime now. I have been reluctant to have input on this. I'm going to give some facts that might clear things up or could confuse them even worse.

We have been in the tire business now for 7 years, lordy it sure seems longer than that. We have learned a dump truck full of knowledge over that time. Before we got into the business I just knew which tires I got the best mileage from and which stuck better to the road. Over the last 7 years tires have come a very long way, it seems tire manu's are improving/creating problems with new tires.

I have noticed over the last couple of years there is a trend with them though to have a approved/disapproved list. Now you have to understand this will release them from liabilty. Just because it fits and has the right load rating it still may not be approved. Would you put a set of your tires for your Mini Cooper on a 18 wheeler if you could get them to fit? No I hope not. The manu's would also not stand behind that "warranty" in that tire also.

I know manu's in the past have had issues with tires. Firestone had a issue with the Ford's in the past but, that tire was built and recommend for that car/truck. This is something I think people get confused with all the time. We have to careful of what we do at the shop as far as installation. If we put the wrong tire on the bike then the manu's will not stand behind us and we are on our on. Do I control what the customer does in his/her garage on installing tire on their on bike, No.

We give the best recommendations that we know of. We try to point someone in the right direction on choices that need to be made by them.

It hurts me everytime I hear of someone having an accident. I have been in their shoes. I don't like to think that it might be caused from a tire failure or some other mishap. My best advice is listen to the people who build these tires. They pay their engineers lots of money to do their job. Sometimes they make a homerun PR2, BT023 and sometimes they strike out, BT021. It's best to follow their guidelines.

Hope this helps guys. Please ride safe out there. I hate the "I went down threads"

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Sometimes they make a homerun PR2, BT023 and sometimes they strike out, BT021. It's best to follow their guidelines.
If it was your ST1300, would these two tires be your only choice to put on it? I've run Avons for the past twenty two years. I have never had a problem with them. And I love them! But I don't want or need any more aftermarket body parts! I have a new PR-2 sitting in the garage to put on. I hope I like it.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
If it was your ST1300, would these two tires be your only choice to put on it? I've run Avons for the past twenty two years. I have never had a problem with them. And I love them! But I don't want or need any more aftermarket body parts! I have a new PR-2 sitting in the garage to put on. I hope I like it.
I make no "Bone's" :) about it. I like Michelin's. If it was my bike thats what I would run.

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
Reviving an old thread but....

I've been contacted by NHTSA and asked for more info on my Storm 2 delamination. I've forwarded my info to them.

They asked me to ask those of you that had issues with the Avon Storm 2's to do the following:

NHTSA representative said:
The most helpful thing the other owners could do would be to log a complaint with the Office of Defect Investigation by going to the form on the Agency’s website http://safercar.gov, specifically https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm.

The tire won’t show up in the dropdown menus so each person should put all the tire information, size, model, and TIN (all as they appear on the sidewall) in the text of the complaint description.

If each person did this it would give us our batch of data we need to proceed.
So, if you still have your old tires or you have the information from the tires, please take a few minutes and share that info with NHTSA. Also, feel free to cross-post the call for info on any other motorcycle forums you may be on.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Top Bottom