Is this normal gas mileage?

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Re: Is this normal?

Unfortunately, the trip meter on these read 8-10% higher the same as the speedo. That makes it worse. :(
My speedo shows ~8% higher than actual. However, I have read here that the odo error is much less than that. That seems reasonable to me, since there is a D-A conversion to drive the analog speedometer.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #

Thanks!
That makes sense to me. Basically it could be running at the low end of the temp range of 3 bars thus allowing some degree of enrichment.

(for what it's worth I just bought a Morgan Carbtune so will do a TB balance as soon as it arrives.)
Be sure that you read and understand the service manual procedure before you attempt to do a "throttle body sync" on your ST1300. The throttle bodies on the ST are synchronized and locked down/sealed at the time they are manufactured, and should never be disturbed after that, although I have heard or read of some owners who have defeated the seals to change the factory settings. The only thing that the owner or dealer tech is supposed to do is a starter valve sync as described in the SM.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

Perhaps I mis-stated. I intend to do a starter valve sync (though as far as I can tell TB and starter valve seem to be synonymous on the web.)

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A

Most of the folks here on the forum call it a TB sync, instead of the correct Starter Valve Sync. Don is correct on his warning.
When you get your Morgan Carb tune, What I find that works well is to insert the dampers in the main lines approximately 4 inches from the end, then go to the hard ware store, or hobby shop, and pick up some 1 inch plastic or brass tubing and use these to connect the tool lines to the new lines so you won't loose your dampers pulling off the hoses. On the bike, cut new hoses approximately 1/4 inch longer than factory, so the Tee sits up higher, and the lines drain back down into the TB housings and not back into the Tee clogging it up. Don't try and extend them longer, as you will only create a long "kitchen sink trap" that will collect more crap.
After you remove the old lines, Tee, and Map sensor switch, cut 5 new hoses. Put one from the map sensor switch to the Tee, and attach the remaining 4 to the brass fittings on the TB housing. Now your tool can use the Tubing connectors to join them together, then pull apart when your finished.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Is this normal?

Thanks Larry

I think I understand what you mean about the Carbtune lines. Might be easier to picture when I have the tool in my hands.

I'm still mystified as to why the mileage is so low.
If I go with a conservative goal of 40 mpg I'm still 14 mpg away from that.
New air filter
5-way T cleaned
Bike starts and purrs away at idle

I'm going to pick up a new thermostat today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT

I'm still mystified as to why the mileage is so low.
Very perplexing! Maybe just ride a highway loop for 100 miles or so, so there is no stop-n-go, and see what the mileage is?

Do you always get gas at the same station?

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

Very perplexing! Maybe just ride a highway loop for 100 miles or so, so there is no stop-n-go, and see what the mileage is?

Do you always get gas at the same station?
Generally only two stations as they are close to home or work.

100 miles! Hah! Here on Vancouver Island that's a long way. :)
But I'll do my best to log some steady miles.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

As you know I filled up this morning with the results that I posted earlier. Dismal to say the least.

I'm just back from a 67.5 km (52 mile), 99.9% highway ride.
Total elevation gain was 1253 metres so not exactly a flat ride!
I started the trip log at the filling station where I planned to refuel on my return.
Avg speed = 65.4 km/h (there was some construction and a favourite backroad. :)
image2.jpg

When I came back to the filling station I filled up to the same level as I did this morning.
Total fill: 4.067 liters or 1.074 gallons

Those numbers work out to be 48.2 mpg US.
Now those are some numbers I can live with!

Some observations along the way.
While waiting for the light to turn onto the highway I saw the avg. drop 2/10 from 16.6 to 16.4 in the space of about a minute.
Underway the avg. km/L grew to just over 17.3L/km.

After I refilled I reset the avg. and it quickly shot up to 17.4 as I was back on the highway in less that a block.

So I do think that city driving is brutal for mileage.

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #

would have never guessed that city/hwy mileage would vary by that much. Glad you finally solved the mystery.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

would have never guessed that city/hwy mileage would vary by that much. Glad you finally solved the mystery.
I'm pretty shocked also. Now, I've only run a total of three tanks of gas through STella each with a heavy bias toward city riding so I don't know if the city mileage is as good as it could be.
I think some Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil is in order.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300

65.4 km/h is a slow ride, but not bad mileage. On a straight highway and averaging a higher km/h, expect better numbers yet. If I slow to 105 -110 km/h, I get mid to high 50 mpg without breaking a sweat. Riding at 125-130 I get just over 51 mpg.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Is this normal?

65.4 km/h is a slow ride, but not bad mileage. On a straight highway and averaging a higher km/h, expect better numbers yet. If I slow to 105 -110 km/h, I get mid to high 50 mpg without breaking a sweat. Riding at 125-130 I get just over 51 mpg.
65.4 was the average. There were sections where I was going 'slightly' over the 90 km/h speed limit. :)
Plus there were no sections that were flat.

Now that I have a sense of the potential I can ride more assured that there isn't something horribly wrong with STella.
Perhaps only her pilot :)

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A

When your Carb tune shows up, do your TB sync (sic), adjust your cam chain adjusters, run some MMO and seafoam through it, and I'll bet your mileage gets even better.
I don't remember if you stated if your using a OEM shield, or aftermarket shield, and are you riding with it up or down?
Glad things are looking up for you.

Bike
2010 ST-1300

I took an 8hr Prorider class in Dallas and probably used 1/2 a tank of gas. Mostly 1st and 2nd gear slow speed work with accelerated rpm's. Some 3rd gear quick stops and swerves. Never left the parking lot. I've also used my own bike practicing for demo's when coaching a BRC-2 class and noticed excessive fuel consumption. (Never got past 2nd gear).

Just for the heck of it try a tank of gas with the rear box removed and the stock windshield in the down position.

Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800

DavidR, how are your spark plugs? They may be due for replacement. I use Iridium plugs, I changed out factory plug at 30,000km. I think your thermostate is fine. If you do change the thermostate, you have to replace the O-ring too.
I do 50/50-City Ride/hiway ride. That is one hour city vs 1 hour hiway. I get an average of 16.9km/litre. This is according to the Bike display. I gave up tracking the receipts for exact consumption. City alone can run as low as 12-13km/litre.
I have switched completely to regular grade gasoline. The premium in Vancouver is at $1.60 a litre, ouch. I think my milage dropped a bit, may be 5%. The power dropped may be 10%. Believe me, the wow factor is still there.
Kenny

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Have you checked or inspected your brake system? I have found several members that had brake issues and didn't even know it. If your brakes (most likely rear brake) are not working correctly, they could be causing poor gas mileage as well.
Follow your service manual and do a function test for the secondary master cylinder, then inspect ALL calipers, sliding pins, clips, etc. And always be sure to tighten the STOPPER bolt first, when putting the back wheel back together.
Keep at it, your almost there.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I haven't yet Larry it's on my list of to-do's for the weekend.
I've poured over the various brake articles on the Forum and have learned tons.
Still waiting for my manual to arrive.

ST460 mentioned Iridium plugs.
Do you have a favourite brand and spec?

Bike
2004 ST1300
Last two days were spent traveling with my wife of 40 years next week.
Averaged 50.5 mpg actual for the trip well loaded down but rather moderate speeds due to road conditions. Wet pine needles are very slippery on corners many of which were 90* and posted at 10 mph. Lots of low speed acceleration/braking runs.
Lake Superior west shore and Boundry Waters in northern MN were gorgeous. Shore highway is great mix of hills and curves.
First tank 51.51 mpg
Second tank 49.6 mpg

Top Bottom