Is This The Dreaded SMC Failure?

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I agree the SMC should be as that could cause some SAFETY related issues, however I disagree about the thermostat as that's just a problem with a part that will not directly impact safety, just the convenience of the part not failing.. in fact, if it does fail you can continue on your trip.
Under a narrow interpretation of Safety, sure, a Thermostat failure may not be an issue: there is little chance of serious injuries.

Under a broader view, the T-Stat becomes an issue. It is a distraction, added stress, could cause a non initiated to worry and stop on the side of the road, which is not without danger, emission issues from engine operating out of spec etc, etc.

When filing an NHTSA report, you can get their attention by indicating via check boxes if your case resulted in an accident or fire, but there is no indication that an incident shouldn't be reported if it doesn't cause accident or fire.

There is a good overview by Edmunds HERE, of Categories of instances reported to the NHTSA, where it is shown, for example, that even relatively minor issues like gauge malfunctions can be reported.

The Power train category even includes fluid leaks. Which indicates that the infamous coolant leaks should be reported as well.

For the heck of it, I asked the NHTSA where they'd stand about us reporting benign instances like T-Stat's. I couldn't get across that it was merely an inquiry about reportability......they replied with the Hotline number to call for filing the complaint!

Chances are good that more credence would be given to a list of reported ST defects extracted from the NHTSA database than to one pulled from our beloved BB.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
I'm assuming the SMC should move more than a millimeter or 2. If so, mine is locked up as well.

What are the chances I can get Honda to replace this for me? (It's an '03ABS), considering it has recalled all the newer models? Anybody I should talk to at mother Honda before talking to the dealer? I never had the PCV recall done. Maybe I'll just have them do it at the same time.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Bill, it really doesn't move very far by hand at all. A mm is probably just fine. See if that mm or two stops the rear wheel by spinning the rear wheel while pushing the SMC forward. There is very little movement involved.

OP
OP
Gunz

Gunz

Houligan
Bike
'08 1300
STOC #
Bill,
Easy enough to check. Carefully peel back the rubber boot and examine the plunger and piston face on the SMC. An excess of corrosion is probably a dead give away and warrants further inspection.

laurentc

Laurent
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Well...Back from a trip from Quebec City to North Conway NH (Mount Washington). Happened to me : complete rear wheel lockup - stuck SMC. There was a nearby house where a nice lady lent me a hammer, pliers and penetrating oil. I was able to free the piston by putting oil under the rubber boot, allowing me to finish the trip and return home.
I want to replace to entire assembly. My bike is 2006 ST1300 (no ABS). Is the correct part number 06454-MCS-G02 ? Does it come complete, with rubber boot and all ? The local dealer wants $175 for that part, taxes included. Would anyone know of a good source for it, less expensive and shipped to Canada ?
Aside from the brake fluid and tools, any other part that I should order to do the job ?
Thanks for your help !

Bike
2007 ST1300
Well...Back from a trip from Quebec City to North Conway NH (Mount Washington). Happened to me : complete rear wheel lockup - stuck SMC. There was a nearby house where a nice lady lent me a hammer, pliers and penetrating oil. I was able to free the piston by putting oil under the rubber boot, allowing me to finish the trip and return home.
I want to replace to entire assembly. My bike is 2006 ST1300 (no ABS). Is the correct part number 06454-MCS-G02 ? Does it come complete, with rubber boot and all ? The local dealer wants $175 for that part, taxes included. Would anyone know of a good source for it, less expensive and shipped to Canada ?
Aside from the brake fluid and tools, any other part that I should order to do the job ?
Thanks for your help !
laurentc
try babbitsonline.com. I have had really good luck with them. not sure on shipping though.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Give Keith at Mason City Honda a call.

The SMC (06454-MCS-G02) was 100 dollars exactly, and the SMC rebuild kit (45620-MCS-G03) was 33 dollars.
Shipping was very reasonable, of course that international border may add to the cost.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
So, I inspected the SMC on my 2003, Non-ABS with 76K on it. It seemed to be working just fine. I pulled the rubber boot back and hit it with some lube. Think I need to totally disassemble this thing or should I be ok since I caught it before it locked up and now have it lubed up? Don't need any roadside failures or worse.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Kendoo, did you give it an operationa test? Put the bike onthe center stand, have someone spin the rear wheel, and you pull the SMC forward (pull the front left caliper forward). The rear wheel should stop instantly. Then let the SMC go and the rear wheel should spin freely again.

But to your question, some have found well degraded and gunked SMC pistons/seals, others not--there's no definite answer.

When you pulled back the rubber boot, did you see oxidation?

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Kendoo, did you give it an operationa test? Put the bike onthe center stand, have someone spin the rear wheel, and you pull the SMC forward (pull the front left caliper forward). The rear wheel should stop instantly. Then let the SMC go and the rear wheel should spin freely again.

But to your question, some have found well degraded and gunked SMC pistons/seals, others not--there's no definite answer.

When you pulled back the rubber boot, did you see oxidation?

Yes, I tested it just as you described. Not sure about the oxidation as I just stuck the red tube down between the boot and the shaft to shoot a little lube in there. I was surprised as how little the SMC moved and it definitely locked the rear and seemed to release just fine.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
surprised as how little the SMC moved and it definitely locked the rear and seemed to release
I think it was stated already, but there is very little movement of the SMC by hand... It may move more under the braking torque tho.

Another thing I don't see mentioned here, I 've seen 2 bikes that thought they had bad SMC's.... turned out it was just bad rear brake maintainance/repairs that caused both. Not saying the bad SMC doesn't happen, but just make sure you follow standard repair protocal when doing the rear brakes... clean/lube/parts/etc!

RONST1300

STOC # 8616
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
(BTW, that drain channel they installed in the '08 and later didn't help.)
I older..now than I was before too... and now I would ask what we really expect from a dealer. I haven't bought a new bike and don't know the warranty on a 08, but thats quite a bit a time and things break and wear out. I bought an 05 and wouldn't expect a warranty to cover it...that way I don't have to deal with dealers. The good news is you know clearly what is wrong. And I do wish you well in getting back on the roads. .02

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Honda warranty is 3 yrs, but many like myself picked up a 4 yr extended warranty for total of 7.... Mileage unlimited, to cover most non-wearable items.

(tho I thought he said it was an '03)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunz

Gunz

Houligan
Bike
'08 1300
STOC #
Standard three year warranty. I bought the bike in October '09, so Honda covered it.

My remark about the channel not working well isn't about the warranty, it was about a basic design failure. Perhaps it is better than the older models, but it still falls short of it's intented purpose. I suppose the best option is to peel back the rubber and grease it or give it an occasional shot of WD-40.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
... and you have an '08 which was redesigned in '08 and should work better.

I'm thinking they should have just pointed the whole thing 180 degrees but the wheel spray in the rain might have made that just as bad.

Bike
st1300
hi midlife,

i see your advatar is a gts1000 i think i,ve seen this picture on the gts forum to is this true, do you have a st1300 and gts1000

i have the same in the uk, a white 2004 st1300 and a 1995 gts1000 with 7000 miles on it MCN in the UK had my gts a couple off weeks ago for the paper 4 page spread for the 20th anniversary.

rob

Top Bottom