"It" happened again guys

Sold the K16GT to a friend of mine and went back to a loaded '12 RT. It feels like a toy compared to the K16GT, and I like that.

Couple of changes to the RT since my '10. They went to a float for fuel metering as opposed to the electronic fuel level monitoring system (good move). Also, the FD has a vent in it now. Bluetooth now comes with the audio package. Some people have had a switch go bad at some point, so we'll see how my luck goes. My '10 had a fuel strip go bad, that was it. The FD issue is in the back of my mind, but not at all frequent enough to prevent me from enjoying this bike.

Mine has NAV IV, ESAII, cruise, stereo Z-Technik wind screen and appearance package including chrome head covers, which I actually really like.

I have somewhat concluded that an RT is about as heavy of a bike as I want. For now....:D

Attachments

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Congratulations! While it's true that I am a very fickle, if I had the cash to buy any Beemer I wanted it would be the RT. Something keeps nagging at me that it would be a good idea to buy the last model year of the oil cooled RT. It does feel like a toy compared to an ST13 also. I like the lines, the generous fairing, the bolt upright seating, the brakes, the suspension and it's hard not to like the opposed boxer engine. Incidentally, the RT has a bigger alternator than the 16GT. Give us a holler back after you get some miles on it, please.

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
Judge, I just test road the GTL and The motor was really nice but didn't like the cockpit or riding position of the bike at all! I think I would like the GT "higher seat and more room for a tall rider"? I have an ST1300 now and love it. My brother has Really nice 2010 R1200RT he wants to sell to get the GTL. I like his bike too. I'm just not sold it's Twice as nice as mine money wise and I can do all the maintenance on it unlike the BMW. Can you give any advice between the two? have you had both? The ST1300 is bullet proof when taken care of. I have read the BMW has some minor issues as you have stated.

I saw your same bike at my local BMW shop and It is really nice looking! Nice job!!

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
I looked at the same colored bike this weekend...and looked, and looked, and looked, etc... I came soooo close to pulling the trigger. They were even going to throw in a top case. Maybe next month I will look again.
Mike

OP
OP
Judge
Judge, I just test road the GTL and The motor was really nice but didn't like the cockpit or riding position of the bike at all! I think I would like the GT "higher seat and more room for a tall rider"? I have an ST1300 now and love it. My brother has Really nice 2010 R1200RT he wants to sell to get the GTL. I like his bike too. I'm just not sold it's Twice as nice as mine money wise and I can do all the maintenance on it unlike the BMW. Can you give any advice between the two? have you had both? The ST1300 is bullet proof when taken care of. I have read the BMW has some minor issues as you have stated.

I saw your same bike at my local BMW shop and It is really nice looking! Nice job!!
My opinion of the GTL vs. the RT would be as follows.

I spent a day on a GTL demo before my K16GT arrived. I personally did not like the ergonomics of the GTL, and was ultimately happier with the K16GT's. Low speed manuevering is ponderous (think parking lots, etc.). I found wind management to be good on both bikes, but not as good as the RT. The K bikes have that great Ferrari sounding engine...smooth as you can imagine (almost too good, more later). Fit and finish is first class.

Dislikes:

I do not like throttle by wire...period. Someday they will get it right, but I prefer a cable. Too much slack in the driveline, and the transmission is a bit clunky even by BMW standards. Now...bare in mind I am nit picking here, as none of these obsrvations prevented me from enjoying the bike.

In summary, the K16 is damn good...almost too good. It has a typewriter perfect kind of feel to it, that while impressive, almost made me wish for something more tactile. There is no getting around weight. and I'll tell you that the K16's light steering and handling are remarkable....astounding really, but at low speeds, just like the ST, you feel the weight.

The RT:

The RT is a product of evolution not so much revolution like the K16. BMW has the RT dialed in really nicely. The wind management is better than the K, the RT is more nimble, and creature comfort wise has just about everything the K bike has except for central locking, and tracking headlight.

I have had plenty of twins. Vstrom's, VTX, Versys, the list goes on. The boxer is much better than any other twin I have had. I feel like I am riding a motorcycle when I am on a nice twin, and that's one of things I enjoy about the RT. It's actually very smooth at a steady throttle, and has a velvety throb until you spin it way up the tach where it gets a bit buzzy. They do get smoother the more miles you rack up on them.

To me, the RT is close to being the perfect bike. It's the right blend of size/weight/comfort/power/handling. It's one of those bikes that is more than the sum of it's parts because as a package, it excels at just about everything except hair straightening speed.

He will have to ride it for himself, and as I have proven...motorcycle ownership is a finite decision.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks for the real world comparison. How many miles did you put on the K16 while you owned it?

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I had a similar experience many years ago, GL-1500 was just TOO big. Finally traded it (with 75,000 miles) on my 91 SSMST 1100 and have never looked back. I prefer the Sport/Tour version of motocycling.

Good on ya, Judge, for following yur nose. :D

Top Bottom