Its coming along - Son's RD350 Cafe

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
My son Ben is building an RD350 Cafe Racer - I posted some pics earlier as he was working on it. He has hand formed the aluminum seat, tank and fender. It is now running and is absolutely beautiful. It is still a work in progress but it is a real head turner. He is an amazing craftsman for a 20 year old.

See pics.

Attachments

OP
OP
bdalameda

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
He is just finishing up a much nicer rounded front fender and a set of stainless steel pipes that wrap around and both exit on the right side. This thing is going to be one spectacular bike when completed. To complete the retro-look he found a huge old Grimeca drum front brake with a Borrani alloy rim. He is going to put that on the front so that it will look like a late 60's Yamaha TZ roadracer.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I cut my eye teeth on a DS7 (which is a 72 250..before the RDs came in)

Love those bikes! :clap2:

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Beautiful work. I'd love to be able to do aluminum like that but hate the learning process.

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
From what I remember, the RD 350 was an absolute screamer. And your son has done himself and his father PROUD, that is really some nice looking metal work.

OP
OP
bdalameda

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Thanks for the info.

I also rebuild these motors for quite a few people. I have a complete crankshaft rebuild fixture and press setup and cylinder boring machine. Been doing it for many years. Do a lot of Kawasaki and Suzuki triples as well. We old bike nuts tend to talk too much.
Dan

This is a friend of mine, if your son has any questions about those bikes/motors call Bill. He has motors in his garage right now from all over the world to rebuild or hop up and loves to talk (I warned you) and spread the wealth of knowledge.

http://www.wilsonperformance.net/index.html

OP
OP
bdalameda

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Ben is one of those guys that just wants to know how to make things. He decided to learn to weld so I taught him to gas weld a few years ago. He then decided he wanted to learn how to tig weld so I bought him a used tig welder for his birthday and within about 6 mos. he had taken a night class at college (while he was going to high school) and had gotten his welding certification. He started thinking about metal working and began making steel shoes for flat track racers (he races a bit) and now he is running a small businees making steel shoes for people all over te world and putting himself through school. He decided to learn how to form aluminum and bought an English Wheel and this bike is the end result. I am just awestruck about how he has a feel for metalworking, it just come naturally to him. He is going to school to get a degree in Metallurgy (Materials Engineering). Yep I'm proud all right - I apologize for gushing.

Dan

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
Ben is one of those guys that just wants to know how to make things. He decided to learn to weld so I taught him to gas weld a few years ago. He then decided he wanted to learn how to tig weld so I bought him a used tig welder for his birthday and within about 6 mos. he had taken a night class at college (while he was going to high school) and had gotten his welding certification. He started thinking about metal working and began making steel shoes for flat track racers (he races a bit) and now he is running a small businees making steel shoes for people all over te world and putting himself through school. He decided to learn how to form aluminum and bought an English Wheel and this bike is the end result. I am just awestruck about how he has a feel for metalworking, it just come naturally to him. He is going to school to get a degree in Metallurgy (Materials Engineering). Yep I'm proud all right - I apologize for gushing.

Dan
No appologies necessary. Gush away Dan.

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Beautiful!! It's good to see someone doing stuff with an RD350. I wish I still had mine.

STranger

Jay Knight
Bike
99 ST1100
STOC #
Having seen this in person and meeting Dan's son breifly.......I all I have to say is the pictures just don't do it justice. I couldn't stop staring at the bike while I was there.
It is very easy to see where your son get's his talent. You certainly have the right to be proud of him. Just a great kid!!!!!!

Rich R

GLMC-127 TS-671 IBA-37479
Bike
K1600 GTLE
STOC #
I just found the thread, your son is doing some awesome work. I love all the polished aluminum.

I am an old 2-stroke fan.....I have a 71 R5-350 that I will be working on restoring ....again.... :)
It was 1 of my first bikes. Also working on a KH-400 too.

Those old drum brakes were good for about 1 stop from speed :)

I love the smells and the sound of a tuned pipe at full song as you row through the gears.

Give your son a HUGE atta boy from me!!!!

Rich

OP
OP
bdalameda

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I just found the thread, your son is doing some awesome work. I love all the polished aluminum.

I am an old 2-stroke fan.....I have a 71 R5-350 that I will be working on restoring ....again.... :)
It was 1 of my first bikes. Also working on a KH-400 too.

Those old drum brakes were good for about 1 stop from speed :)

I love the smells and the sound of a tuned pipe at full song as you row through the gears.

Give your son a HUGE atta boy from me!!!!

Rich
I am just finishing the engine on a KH250 triple - Just getting ready to start on the frame and tank etc. Fun old bike. Is se you have a KH400 -

Bike
2005 ST1300PA
STOC #
Absolutely stunning bike! Make sure you get your son a tube of sunscreen for all the glare coming off that tank when he rides.

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Looks like the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree. Nice job.

Top Bottom