I've been stung

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Well I ran across this Stinger trailer a couple of weeks ago. The guy was basically going to dump it for whatever he could get for it as it was given to him and it was sitting in his side yard for years. I gave him 200.00 for it. I took it home, disassembled it, had all the parts sand blasted and painted it with rust proof primer and sprayed it with several coats of Royal Blue machinery enamel. I just put it all back together with new wheels(bigger than stock), Timken wheel bearings and all new hardware and electrical. It looks like new now. Took it out for a spin with my trusty CT110 on it for a shakedown ride. Works great. This is the earlier made in California version with no fenders. I may fabricate some fender mounts later. It is a pretty solid little trailer.y+cJ5bTLSlm60DfBb0WiSg.jpg

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
That is really cool! Does it have suspension, or are the tires it? Never seen that design before, but it's genius. Looks to be pretty easy to build if one was so inclined. I want one, but have no need!

RT

Bike
2009 ST1300
SPOT
LINK
Beautiful trailer and very impressive work.

Question: When loading a bike, I’ve always “ridden“ it up the trailer, walking it up the ramp into place. I notice this trailer makes that method a challenge (there’s nothing for the rider to “walk” on as he straddles the bike. How do you load a bike?

OP
OP
bdalameda

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
That is really cool! Does it have suspension, or are the tires it? Never seen that design before, but it's genius. Looks to be pretty easy to build if one was so inclined. I want one, but have no need!

RT
The axle does not have suspension but the bike itself if tied down properly allows the suspension to operate when the trailer hits bumps and it dampens bumps quite effectively. being so light it also pivots on the hitch mount like a giant swing arm. It does not use a typical trailer ball but a set of brass washers and the main bolt is a joint welded to the trailer, this keeps the small trailer from twisting too much and keeps it very stable at speed. It also folds down to a quite a small package in seconds. Stinger trailers have been around for many years. It can actually handle some very large bikes like a Goldwing. Many people have hauled large bikes on these for extended trips.

OP
OP
bdalameda

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Beautiful trailer and very impressive work.

Question: When loading a bike, I’ve always “ridden“ it up the trailer, walking it up the ramp into place. I notice this trailer makes that method a challenge (there’s nothing for the rider to “walk” on as he straddles the bike. How do you load a bike?
Here is a video of this older model Stinger being loaded. It is pretty simple and you can ride up onto it without much difficulty. The newer models have side steps on them to allow easier loading and I may fabricate these for my trailer at some time in the future.

Top Bottom