Suits Jacket and pants or one piece suit?

Bike
KTM 890 ADV NC750X
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm a fan of my 1 piece 'Stich R3. The newer 1 piece suits don't leak like the old ones may have. I've been in mine for 10+ hours of rain and stayed bone dry. Once you get used to it it is faster and easier to pull on and off than a 2 piece. I feel like a turtle with my shell with my 1 piece, it's there but I never think about it and I stay dry and protected.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Use case is big factor. I wanted to try a one piece and found one used close to my size, I liked it, bought one my size. You will probably find your self with two kits if you get a one piece.

One piece is great for that long ride with a possible rain encounter. It is awkward at stops if you need to take it off. There were great solutions mentioned earlier. I have not been bothered by taking it off to eat or what not. It fits in my OEM case if I need to stow it. I also don’t mind hanging it at the door on the rack. The only downside for me was losing the ability to cover my dash and helmet at a stop with a jacket. If your going to tour and need heated gear and multiple layers you’ll need to size up, just street close underneath is very comfortable.

Wearing separates is as mentioned previously in the thread, I’ll add I like a 3/4 coat because my drink bottle fits in a pocket and is easily accessible.

I switch back and forth, both solutions are good, one is better in some situations. Be patient and expect to lose a little coin on the first one piece if you go used. You can rationalize it by thinking how much you saved not buying custom. Good luck, and happy hunting.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
On any ride where you're on the bike much more than off it a strong case could be made for a one-piece. The weather could influence that choice though. I'm in the jacket / pants category with having the option to remove either when appropriate. Seeing riders wandering around with the top half of a one piece hanging off their waist convinced me I'd never be a candidate for a full suit. At most a pair of pants and jacket that zip together might be an option. So it's a two piece for me.

Last edited:
I got a two piece so I can remove the coat in the heat. Nobody makes a suit thats rainproof and cool in 97deg temps. They are far better in the cold. Never seen a 1 piece mesh....

Bike
07 FJR1300
STOC #
I got a two piece so I can remove the coat in the heat. Nobody makes a suit thats rainproof and cool in 97deg temps. They are far better in the cold. Never seen a 1 piece mesh....
Aerostick deos made rainproof! I have used it for many years so far.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
This has turned into an interesting thread. My first Aerostich was a two-piece, purchased back in the early 90's when they advertised in the back of CycleWorld. They were pretty rare then and I got odd looks from even the motorcycle crowd. Except the BMW guys, they all had 'Stichs. I don't think I even separated that suit? I thought I would use the two-piece option but I simply didn't. So when I was getting back into riding decades later I purchased a used one-piece, and its slightly loose on me. This is fine, as it leaves room to layer and I think the loose suit is cooler in the heat as the airflow lets it "balloon" a bit. I've never had a problem simply taking the suit on an off as needed. Stop for lunch, or a bathroom break? Take it off. Its 30 seconds at most. Storage? It fits in the side bag of an ST1100. Snugly, but it fits. Normally I just toss it over the bike and its good. I have a cable lock but have never used it. Granted, my Aerostich is used, very used, looks like it may have served in some long forgotten war, so I don't think anyone is running away with it. The idea of taking a jacket off and wandering around in the pants ain't for me. I may ride a motorcycle, but I don't need to look like one when I'm not on it, and I find bike gear annoyingly uncomfortable when not riding. I'll happily strip that suit off, and if it touches, or rather gets dragged around a parking lot or floor in the process so be it. Its not a tuxedo, its a tool that protects me and lets me ride more. Having grime on it is of no consequence, the next rain shower will clean it off.....

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
My concern is my boots getting the inside of the legs, then my pants, wet and/or muddy.
That's with most pants I own.
I only have one pair of pants, Olympia mesh, with a side zip on both sides going all the way up to the hip. That's really convenient when you don't have to take your boots off to take your riding pants off.
It's unlikely I've ever discarded any jacket or pants since I began wearing real motorcycle gear in the 80s. 6 or 7 jackets, 4 pairs of riding pants not including several rain gear options.
Wish that way-overpriced Klim gear didn't tempt me all the time; I've never worn out anything, and don't "need" more riding gear.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
My concern is my boots getting the inside of the legs, then my pants, wet and/or muddy.
I can see that as a concern but it hasn't been a problem. I figure that I could simply kick that boot off? I've arrived soaking wet, just pulled the suit off like normal and hung it up to dry. I suppose if I was getting right back into the suit, then maybe there might be some residual water from the boot on the inside? Statistically this problem would be pretty rare....

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Interesting reading, I've been considering a one piece. My usual setup is a Dainese two piece in the gore-tex flavour with a removable liner. Unless it's cold, and then I have a two piece from Keis that wires to the bike for heating, and the Dainese kit over the top of it. Mmmmmmmmmm toasty.

I also own an Oxford rain suit that I can wear, but I've never been a fan of wearing 12v clothing in the rain. Something about it screams "electro-shock therapy" to me.

The 'stich has garnered criticism through the years for a tendency to collect rain in your lap during extended wet riding.
Living in Wales, I guess this means I could ride around with my own portable puddle?

Re wet socks... I used to get that problem. Then I started wearing Alpinestars boots that are gore-tex lined, and putting my gore-tex lined trousers over the top of them. Maybe one day if I suffer an incontinence problem, my socks will get wet again. Hmmm, maybe I should buy some otter socks?

• Haha
Reactions: Obo

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I switched to the one piece 'Stich in 2015 and overall I like it. The down side to them is going into a restaurant or using the bathroom. The restaurant stop is either completely remove it (which isn't hard but now you have to do something with it) or wear it completely or like @dduelin said, you keep a web belt handy to wrap around your waist. The bathroom is a different story. Works fine for going #1 but if you have to take a seat then you either completely remove it (which is what I do) or you let it hang behind your legs while you're sitting but as you can imagine...it's right up against the toilet and also laying on the floor, which is absolutely gross.
Having said all that, I still bought a 2nd one piece 'Stich this year so that I could have the R-3 which is the light version that I'll use for the 80 and above days.

Skip

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I switched to the one piece 'Stich in 2015 and overall I like it. The down side to them is going into a restaurant or using the bathroom. The restaurant stop is either completely remove it (which isn't hard but now you have to do something with it) or wear it completely or like @dduelin said, you keep a web belt handy to wrap around your waist. The bathroom is a different story. Works fine for going #1 but if you have to take a seat then you either completely remove it (which is what I do) or you let it hang behind your legs while you're sitting but as you can imagine...it's right up against the toilet and also laying on the floor, which is absolutely gross.
Having said all that, I still bought a 2nd one piece 'Stich this year so that I could have the R-3 which is the light version that I'll use for the 80 and above days.

Skip
Potty stop I take it off or pull it down and crisscross lay the arms across the top of my legs to keep the arms off the floor.

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
I've had my R3 'stitch for over a year now.
It works well for me year round, rain or shine.

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
Interesting points of view. I've been using a two piece full leather suit for about twenty years. (Triumph branded) Lately, the Aerostich "Cousin Jeremy" has been calling. Very hard to choose between it and the R3.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Interesting points of view. I've been using a two piece full leather suit for about twenty years. (Triumph branded) Lately, the Aerostich "Cousin Jeremy" has been calling. Very hard to choose between it and the R3.
I looked at the Cousin Jeremy option as well. The feedback I've seen is the waxed cotton seems to stain and retain dirt easier than the cordura nylon. My experience with waxed cotton dusters, etc. is that this is true. Much more of a dirt magnet. I'd also question the abrasion resistance. But it looks like and I'm sure it breaks in to a very comfortable state.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm on my second two-piece Aerostich Roadcrafter 2. I might still be wearing my first as my primary, but one of the trouser pocket zippers needs replacement and I came to learn that Aerostich has instituted a policy of not servicing garments older than 15 years; mine was purchased in 1993. I won't bore you with the physics of why red fades faster than other colors, but a well used and faded red Aerostich announces to those in the know that you ride!

The two piece for me has never been about removing the top while wearing the pants - I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've done that. For me it's about options when presented with a short ride or destination that doesn't warrant the pants. Like wanting to zip out of work to nearby fast food at lunch, I may leave the pants while I take the bike a mile or so to the restaurant. I know, I know it's violates ATGATT, but it's an adjustment I'm willing to accept. I bought the bib-adapter with my first Aerostich thinking I would use it a lot, but it turned out to be another "can count on one hand" use example.

Andy Goldfine has NEVER marketed the Roadcrafter 1 & 2 as waterproof. In fact he'll say just the opposite. He acknowledges that the main zippers will pass water (the root cause of the wet crotch), but he addressed this with the R3 which is advertised as "100% waterproof". However with the R3, one-piece is your only choice. Plus it's unlined for weight and allows it to be cooler. It's the Cordura/Goretex fabric of all the Roadcrafters (save the Cousin Jeremy) that's billed as waterproof.

Yet unmentioned by all the other Aerostich promoters is another functional advantage to the two-piece. The one-piece has a single zipper which runs from neck to left ankle. So if you wish to unzip to admit cooling air you can only partially unzip from the neck and ankle. With the two piece you can also unzip the jacket from the waist up as well as the neck down. I can attest that when the mercury rises, that extra ventilation is noticeable and welcome!

From a ventilation standpoint, the Roadcrafters use simple zippered openings to pass or adjust air flow - besides the main zippers, there's a big one on the back from shoulder to shoulder, armpits, ends of arm sleeves and slash pockets on the pants. These suits lack the more elaborate mesh and vents of some competitors, but I can't complain about my experience with my two suits.

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Two piece for me. I went to Motoport and had them build me a suit. I went with the stretch kevlar versus the mesh kevlar. It's the only suit I have ever had that fits me perfectly. The mesh kevlar will eat your paint if you are not real careful. The stretch kevlar works well. Worn it in 108F for three days a couple of years ago and down to 24F with warm and safe underneath. Their armor protection is superior to anything I have used in the past. It's the only textile suit approved for AMA racing.

skidgillen

Site Supporter
Bike
2005 ST1300PA
Anyone with the Tour Master Centurion 1 piece suit? Redesigned recently. Not much for video reviews yet. $599

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Andy Goldfine has NEVER marketed the Roadcrafter 1 & 2 as waterproof. In fact he'll say just the opposite. He acknowledges that the main zippers will pass water (the root cause of the wet crotch), but he addressed this with the R3 which is advertised as "100% waterproof". However with the R3, one-piece is your only choice. Plus it's unlined for weight and allows it to be cooler. It's the Cordura/Goretex fabric of all the Roadcrafters (save the Cousin Jeremy) that's billed as waterproof.
from a practical standpoint I wore my 2-piece Roadcrafter through a driving rain storm near Banff for about 45-60 minutes without any issues, so if its not 100% waterproof its still pretty good.

Mostly I ride in dry weather because that's all we have around here most of the time, so I don't have many more tales of riding in the wet for long distances. Like others I prefer the 2-piece option because sometimes I just want a jacket for a short ride.

Top Bottom