Jackets Jackets and pants.... too many choices....

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I agree @rwthomas1 we're all different.
Although I have two "Waterproof" textile jackets, both Hein Gericke, I can't say I like the thinking behind modern textiles that allow water through to the inner membrane. The outer layers can hold gallons of water and I'm not exaggerating. It can make it a little tricky finding somewhere to hang a jacket to drip/run in a hotel that probably weighs around 100 lbs.
I treat with NikWax every season but it makes no difference in this respect.
As an aside I have a 3 layer Taslan Gortex (I think) walking jacket that must be 30 years old, still like new and doesn't let a drop of water through. Why can't this technology be used in motorcycle gear?
Upt'North.
Klim does use that Gore Tex technology.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
The outer layers can hold gallons of water and I'm not exaggerating. It can make it a little tricky finding somewhere to hang a jacket to drip/run in a hotel that probably weighs around 100 lbs.
I treat with NikWax every season but it makes no difference in this respect.
Try a can of the Kiwi Camp Dry or similar spray. It's made for garments and tents, backpacks, etc. It'll keep your outer layer from soaking up water. It works.

Chris

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I'm using a one-piece Stich. Bought it used and it fits my mission perfectly. 95% of my riding is commuting, so easy on and off over business casual is an absolute requirement. Most rainproof I'd need is an hour, if it leaked a little, that's not a big deal. Heated gear and a thin layer gets me below freezing with comfort. Open the vents, it's okay up to 75-80, IF the humidity is not too bad. Above 75-80, I use a Tourmaster mesh jacket and jeans. Not ideal, but I can't find a good set of riding pants or jeans that work for the business casual requirement.

If I rode just to ride, or toured, I can see how a jacket and pants combo may work better. Taking a one-piece on and off repeatedly would maybe get old.

I ride to work in the cool morning, so the Stich is OK, but the ride home I switch to the mesh jacket. Not ideal from an ATGATT perspective, so I'm considering some MotoPort mesh gear, or an R3 light.

RT

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
I've had a Tourmaster flex top and bottom for years that has served me well. Always liked the fact that you can zip off the jacket outer layer and have a mesh jacket in two minutes. Same for the pants. And you can buy Tourmaster in tall sizes. Went to Olympia Airglide 5 and pants. Nice set that has OUTSIDE liners. Never understood standing on the side of the road in your underwear installing liners.
Having said all that I recently sprung for the Motoport jacket and pants. Stretch Kevlar not the mesh Kevlar. The mesh is pretty heavy and will eat paint over time. I must admit that having a suit that is built to your build is nice. I am a tall guy and having proper sleeve length pant legs long enough is nice.
Fortunately I have never tested any of the gear by sliding down the road. I always questioned whether the Tourmaster armour (loose term) would stay in place and protect what it should. Olympia was much better fit and armour more substantial. The Motoport just fits and more armour in more places. And the armour molds itself to your body contours.
I already had outer layers if needed so did not buy all the Motoport liners. I have heated shirt and long johns for cold weather and a dedicated rain suit for long stints in the rain. Waterproof is a widely used term that does not hold up to the test.
LD Comfort long sleeve under the Motoport works. Wet the sleeves, open the arm vents for airflow, unzip jacket front a little for air flow. It works people.
Coming through Nebraska last August saw temps over 100F. The Olympia mesh lets the heat in. The Motoport flows some air but it is not mesh. Keeps the hot air out and the airflow up the sleeves cools you off. It doesn't sound right but it works. I now have a whole new outlook on how to stay cool in the heat. Just stop and rewet the sleeves when needed.
My $.02.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
There are several advantages to using jacket/pants with rain/wind liners. The liner acts as another layer for warmth to give you more flexibility. Remove it, and air flows through easier to cool you down. Olympia was making their liners so you could wear them either over or under your outer gear. I thought it was a novel idea.

Another advantage is that when the liner wears out, you can just go to your nearest outdoor store (like Cabela's) or golf shop and get a waterproof rain suit there.

I ran into the problem of the outer shell getting waterlogged, years ago. Commuted to work in the pouring rain, and at the end of the day my riding gear was still soaked and weighed a ton. Solution? ...waterproofing spray. I buy something like Kiwi Camp Dry Waterproofing spray at @$7 a can. If you buy it on the first Tuesday of the month at Freddie's, then you get 10% off too. I wash my gear. Let it dry, then spray the outer shell with waterproofing spray. It works well enough that for a light short shower, I don't need a rain liner. And it keeps the outer shell from acting as a sponge.

Chris
There is one serious disadvantage using a jacket / pants with a rain liner, and is the reason I have never used this solution. If you are touring for days on end, and camping, you'll have issues if it is raining for a longer periods (lets just say a full day of riding in the rain, and then add "cool weather")

The outer jacket (and pants) will end up weighing twice as much as when dry, and it will be very cold to wear, for a very long time. It will also stay wet, for a very long time. (Remember, we're camping). Not an ideal solution.

On a day-trip.......sure.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Too many choices?
Can you be too rich, or too thin?
Through a lifetime of riding, I've accumulated a half dozen jackets and 3 pants, not counting rain gear.
Fortunately, I'm not susceptible to size changes, or maybe hanging the gear in the garage simply does not allow for shrinkage. I dunno.
Belstaff really made some great, functional gear before they sold out to some other Brit company.
Of all I've bought, the RevIt is the most disappointing - the reflective, branded logo patches began peeling in the first season, and the jacket and pants pockets must have been designed for small Asians, or 4-year-old little girl hands. I can barely get 3 fingers in any of the pockets. I think the jacket / pants is the Dakar model.
As my motto is "Never Pay Retail", most of it is purchased through New Enough / MotorcycleGear.com, or one from eBay.
I don't see how many choices is a bad thing.
One day I'll spend the big bucks for some Klim.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
There is one serious disadvantage using a jacket / pants with a rain liner, and is the reason I have never used this solution. If you are touring for days on end, and camping, you'll have issues if it is raining for a longer periods (lets just say a full day of riding in the rain, and then add "cool weather")

The outer jacket (and pants) will end up weighing twice as much as when dry, and it will be very cold to wear, for a very long time. It will also stay wet, for a very long time. (Remember, we're camping). Not an ideal solution.

On a day-trip.......sure.
You guys just don't get it... Spray the outer jacket and pants with a waterproofing spray. Not the stuff where you put it in the wash, but the actual sprays you can find in the camping section at Fred Meyer. The outer jacket and pants don't get waterlogged. It's made for spraying on backpacking gear, tents, etc.

I live in Seattle and ride year around. It either has rained, is raining, or will be raining. I don't stay home because of the chance I might get wet. In the summer months, I take off cross-country and get caught in pouring rain.

Chris

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
You guys just don't get it... Spray the outer jacket and pants with a waterproofing spray. Not the stuff where you put it in the wash, but the actual sprays you can find in the camping section at Fred Meyer. The outer jacket and pants don't get waterlogged. It's made for spraying on backpacking gear, tents, etc.
EXCEPT if you have a Gore-Tex or Hypora (Hipora?) fabric. They both state that waterproofing sprays clog the pores of this material, rendering it unable to "vent" or release the moisture inside the garment. Thus it's no longer a "breatheable" material, so you may as well be wearing a rubber slicker.
I guess if you never, ever sweat, this won't matter.

Top Bottom