Japanese Cop Top Guns on Hondas

OP
OP
AV8R
Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
Incredible! Blow that for a game of soldiers in the dry, let alone in the wet!! Thanks for posting.
Blimey, there you UK blokes learn me English again....

This equivalent to Yank-ese for “Screw that!” ?

Last edited:
Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Incredible! Blow that for a game of soldiers in the dry, let alone in the wet!! Thanks for posting.
I dunno, I'd give it a go.... In the dry.... On someone else's bike. :D

Love videos of big bikes being thrown around, thanks AV8R. This kind of thing inspires me when filtering in the city on my commute. (Then I just sit in traffic, not wanting to pop my mirrors off...)

OP
OP
AV8R
Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
I like this Honda VFR800F they are using as popo bikes...
They look and perform like a 2:3 scale ST

The VFR its only 100 HP and weighs 200 Lbs less than our ST1300s. Maybe the weight to power ratio is better for riders on the smaller end of the spectrum. But for us larger guys, the bigger bike is more to my liking.

For gymkhana, cone work, and formation riding; Im thinking a smaller bike would be more nimble. TrapperDog and IgoFar would know better than I.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
ST is what, 115 hp and 725 pounds ? That gives the VFRs 85 percent as much power, for 72 percent of the weight. For any given rider, the basic power to weight beats the ST.

OP
OP
AV8R
Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
A 200 lb rider on a lighter bike is more of a load percentage wise than on a larger bike, so that 15% extra HP helps, yes?

So smaller riders on smaller bikes are probably better at dancing from a momentum perspective alone, skills aside that is.

Case in point,
Eons ago, as a teen when i was 1/2 my current bulk, i could make my Honda SL125-K3 do slow walks and did the DMV dance like it was nothing. Something id be pressed to do now on the venerable ST1300.

These smaller VFR and riders are perfect for this kind of formation riding. Still, there are those that could do similar with larger bikes.

Last edited:
Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
On a similar note to this, have you guys on the other side of the pond seen our Module 1 test for getting a bike licence?

I'm thinking of asking a local instructor if I can give it a go on the ST13... Might see if they can video it for a giggle too...

OP
OP
AV8R
Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
On a similar note to this, have you guys on the other side of the pond seen our Module 1 test for getting a bike licence?

I'm thinking of asking a local instructor if I can give it a go on the ST13... Might see if they can video it for a giggle too...
No I haven’t. I’d get lost with those ziggy zag road lines.

Make a video.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Those videos of the Japanese motors seem to show a preference for higher speed and more open cone work for whatever reason. They don't throw the bike around as much as most of the motor courses out this way.

AV8R said:
A 200 lb rider on a lighter bike is more of a load percentage wise than on a larger bike, so that 15% extra HP helps, yes?
I don't know that would make a real difference in cone work but certainly in actual enforcement work. Add a bunch of job-specific gear and acceleration suffers. But it would probably still have an edge over the ST in tight maneuvering given its lighter weight and shorter wheel base. Long Beach PD's police-kitted Africa Twins seem to be working out well.

OP
OP
AV8R
Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
For beach area and street work?

Maybe that’ll be my next ride.
Seems like more of a dual sport

Uck, chains again

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
AV8R said:
For beach area and street work?
Yes. The motor Sgt was very clear that it was a full-on enforcement motor not a special duty bike. My 'Wing buddy (a former career motor cop and Sgt) went to the Long Beach show to see the ST1800.

A big plus was seeing one of LBPD's two Africa Twins police kitted. They were donated to LBPD by Honda proper and all the kit was AT specific. Standard Whelen/Federal stuff but all the mounts were bespoke items and they looked it. Very factory presentation nothing –cobbled or merely hung on.

I really should have taken more pics. One of the most interesting points - no radio pack. They just used portable wired to the helmet and BT connected to PTT when on the bike. They have repeaters all over the city so no hi-po radio needed. And DCT. Good for righties excellent for lefties if you know what I mean.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
CMPD has some little 250 dual sports that they ride. They look funny going down the street on mini bikes in police uniforms!

Top Bottom