Japanese vs European Motorcycles

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Part of the problem with the comparing cost of maintenance is that often people compare a full service to an oil change. If both bike are maintained by the book the cost of somethings will be higher some will be lower.
My misgivings are around the "unscheduled" services, not the routine maintenance stuff which I would mostly do myself in either case. I talked to a GS owner at a local BMW dealer (they were showing the California BDR film that night) that ended up $8,000 out of pocket for a busted rear shock! I expressed disbelief but all he did was shrug.

TPadden

Tom Padden
I talked to a GS owner at a local BMW dealer (they were showing the California BDR film that night) that ended up $8,000 out of pocket for a busted rear shock! I expressed disbelief but all he did was shrug.
Always a case of “I talked to a” BMW nightmare. :rofl1:

Simple search: GS1200 rear shocks run from $600-875 for new Ohlins to $130-200 for flea bay models. The most expensive I could find was $1100 for TFX Piggyback.

$8000: where’s the BS flag when I need it?

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Just relating what I was told. I figure there had to be some collateral damage too, but he didn’t go into it. Don’t know why he’d BS me at his own expense (no pun intended), at least in my eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TPadden

Tom Padden
Don’t know why he’d BS me at his own expense (no pun intended), at least in my eyes.
I know why hearsay isn’t admissible in court :).

Even from BMW, the newest 2018/19 rear shock (ESA spring strut) is still around $3000. He may have needed a new 6 speed transmission too to get it up to over $8K.

Tom

Last edited:

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I really don't have any place to ride it off road anywhere near me and commuting on one seems a bit silly. While plenty of people ride them with street tires I just don't know.
I bet most GS type motorcycles see no more off road use than the average touring bike. Most buy them for the style, the ability to go off road but not to actually go any distance off road.

This was Cherie and I heading to spend a couple of nights at a lodge, they told us it is 31 km hard packed gravel but didn't quite turn out that way, but that is what most GS owners consider off road

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I know why hearsay isn’t admissible in court :).

Even from BMW, the newest 2018/19 rear shock (ESA spring strut) is still around $3000. He may have needed a new 6 speed transmission too to get it up to over $8K.

Tom
So why is it that there are always the "I talked to a BMW owner" stories?

TPadden

Tom Padden
So why is it that there are always the "I talked to a BMW owner" stories?
Because the people who actually own BMW's here all came from ST's, and there are many, like their bikes and really have no horror stories to tell. :cool:

I get tired of hearing complaints second and third person, the others are probably tired of responding or out riding. :shrug2:

Tom

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I bet most GS type motorcycles see no more off road use than the average touring bike. Most buy them for the style, the ability to go off road but not to actually go any distance off road.
No different from the average 4WD SUV owner.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #

This was Cherie and I heading to spend a couple of nights at a lodge, they told us it is 31 km hard packed gravel but didn't quite turn out that way, but that is what most GS owners consider off road

Well I might ride one in the dirt more than the average person. I live on a gravel road.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Because the people who actually own BMW's here all came from ST's, and there are many, like their bikes and really have no horror stories to tell. :cool:

I get tired of hearing complaints second and third person, the others are probably tired of responding or out riding. :shrug2:

Tom
There are some models that are more problematic than others, perhaps the people here have mostly stayed away from those models, dunno. I can only give you second person complaints because after seeing how crappy my friends BMWs were, I'd never consider buying one to convert myself into a first person complainer. I haven't ridden any of the more recent models though, so my data points are getting a bit old by now.

TPadden

Tom Padden
I can only give you second person complaints because after seeing how crappy my friends BMWs were, I'd never consider buying one to convert myself into a first person complainer...
We have very different experiences, not only have I never owned or even ridden a crappy BMW; I obviously also have less discerning friends. :rofl1:

Tom

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
There are some models that are more problematic than others, perhaps the people here have mostly stayed away from those models, dunno. I can only give you second person complaints because after seeing how crappy my friends BMWs were, I'd never consider buying one to convert myself into a first person complainer. I haven't ridden any of the more recent models though, so my data points are getting a bit old by now.
That is one of the things that has discouraged me from going down the BMW Route. I like all the cool stuff they are doing with the newer GS line. More so the new R1250GSA with the TFT dash. Even the newer (waterhead) R1200GSAs with factory cruise and such. But then you keep reading about the final drive failures. Granted I would read about that more on the oil heads I think. Not to mention the CAN Bus system they use which is way more complex compared to what we have on a ST. On newer ones I have read a lot about handle bar switches failing. It is great to have bells and whistles but it is just more stuff to break. The complexity means either you are throwing parts at the problem guessing at what it might be or taking it to the dealer. Both of which would get really expensive, really quick. Then there is the other common thing where all you really ever hear about is the people that have problems. So that seems to amplify reliability complaints. For every rider out there having switch gear or final drive problems, how many have never had an issue?

Bike
2000 ST1100
@sennister, I don't have a dog in the fight here but. On the new flavor of Goldwings forum members are reporting problems with their DTC transmission needing"adjustments". Bikes that won't start due to bad key FOBs. Problems with non Honda accessories because of Honda's Can Buss system. GPS systems that are worthless. I dunno if Honda is going the way of BMW?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
@sennister, I don't have a dog in the fight here but. On the new flavor of Goldwings forum members are reporting problems with their DTC transmission needing"adjustments". Bikes that won't start due to bad key FOBs. Problems with non Honda accessories because of Honda's Can Buss system. GPS systems that are worthless. I dunno if Honda is going the way of BMW?
they're rolling technology platforms that have way too many potential failure modes that are not user serviceable.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Always been a Honda owner: '72 CL450, '73 CB750, '82 CB750SC, '96 CB750NH, '01 ST1100. Still have and ride the last two, '73 is in storage.

That's not very many bikes for 46 years of riding. I have owned a couple of others ridden by girlfriends: Suzuki GS250T and Yamaha TX650.

Bike
VStrom 650
they're rolling technology platforms that have way too many potential failure modes that are not user serviceable.
Douglas, you are so right and unfortunately usually not fully tested before release, meaning the early adopters can suffer. I took my BMW motor car in under warranty for a buggered rear windscreen wash. Now how hard could that be? Apparently and I quote, "the car wouldn't talk to Bavaria". Which translates to 10 days in a loan car awaiting the repair. Thankfully it has been fairly reliable besides, but now it's the same conundrum; what new car can I buy that isn't an awaiting technological disaster. I don't want or need 10inch screens x 2, headlights that know when it's dark or a car which can park itself. I'm quite good at parking thank you very much and Er'Indoors won't let me out in the dark.
Upt'North.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I have been riding BMW's for 42 years and have never been left on the road by one. The
only bike I ever had to load on a wrecker was a 1991 ST1100. Go figure.

This one went to Prudhoe Bay and Inuvik and motored on home...

This one has taken me from Georgia to Maine to Georgia every fall...

This one hasn't missed it's first beat yet...

Nope, this one didn't break either...

I sold this 43 year old baby a few months ago. It is touring the western half of the continent
with it's new owner at the moment...

I am selling several of these and returning to ST1100's again after 21 years. Not because I
am disappointed with BMW's but because I enjoyed my last ST from 1991 to 1998 and
wanted to give it another go. I'll put the money from the BMW sales into a Miata for the wife
and I to putz around in, as she is unable to ride with me any more on the bikes.

One can enjoy the ST's (I certainly enjoy mine) without the need to discredit anyone else's
choice. I have absolutely enjoyed my BMW's and my ST's. I'd hate to think that I missed
out on the beemers because somebody knew somebody who heard on the internet that
somebody had a problem. I only have 42 years and 300K miles with eight BMW's, but I am
still waiting for my first serious problem. Peace. Out.

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
I have been riding BMW's for 42 years and have never been left on the road by one. The
only bike I ever had to load on a wrecker was a 1991 ST1100. Go figure.

This one went to Prudhoe Bay and Inuvik and motored on home...

This one has taken me from Georgia to Maine to Georgia every fall...

This one hasn't missed it's first beat yet...

Nope, this one didn't break either...

I sold this 43 year old baby a few month ago. It is touring the western half of the continent
with it's new owner at the moment...

I am selling several of these and returning to ST1100's again after 21 years. Not because I
am disappointed with BMW's but because I enjoyed my last ST from 1991 to 1998 and
wanted to give it another go. I'll put the money from the BMW sales into a Miata for the wife
and I to putz around in, as she is unable to ride with me any more on the bikes.

One can enjoy the ST's (I certainly enjoy mine) without the need to discredit anyone else's
choice. I have absolutely enjoyed my BMW's and my ST's. I'd hate to think that I missed
out on the beemers because somebody knew somebody who heard on the internet that
somebody had a problem. I only have 42 years and 300K miles with eight BMW's, but I am
still waiting for my first serious problem. Peace. Out.
Peace and Love man.
That is one gorgeous R100RS, if that's what it is. Now why can't anyone make a new one of them.
There's a company in the UK which renovate them to as new but the prices are sky high.
Again, blummin gorgeous.
Upt'North.

Top Bottom