Joined the Tip Over Club this past weekend

Bike
ST1300 2007
I suppose it had to happen some time. Wife on the back all decked out in our protective gear, reflective vests the lot. Decide to explore a new upmarket Golf residential estate development as we have heard they have a cafe at the 19th hole that serves a mean breakfast. We proceed slowly into the car park amongst the Jags, Mercs, Porches etc. two golf carts full of players grudgingly stop to let us past, could almost hear the mutterings "damed bikers, what they doing here". Slow left uphill turn into a vacant parking bay and over she goes gracefully. We abandoned bike not so gracefully, wife first me following and falling on top of her. I suppose its the embarrasment of such an incident but one gets up much quicker than one does down. Experience has luckily taught me to first check if wifey is unhurt. Nevermind what you are really worried about which is damage to your pride and joy ST. Now golfers are not the strongest sportsmen out there but about 10 of them helped get the bike up.
Only visible damage as others have reported is scratches to the tip over guard and the passenger left footpeg. Nothing to panniers, mirrors or fairing. I think the fact that the passenger footpegs where in use helped in minimising potential damage. Wife broke a fingernail and bruised the palm of her hand, this was fixed with some Arnica oil and TLC.
She now realises the necessity of wearing her riding gloves all of the time. There is a saying in these parts "wear all of the gear all of the time".
Had some trouble finding neutral on start up but this eventually righted itself. Not sure wether it is worth having the bike checked over just in case there are any unseen problems.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Bummer for sure, but it has happened to many. I know my brother had a date on his bike a few years ago and a tipped over in a parking lot. :eek:4:

Maybe parking lots should be :ban1: seems more tipovers happen in them then garages..:well1:

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I feel your pain (and embarrassment). I dropped my bike (and my wife) outside of a motel last summer when I didn't realize the pavement was lower on the right side. I put both feet down, but only one touched the ground. Riding two up it doesn't take much of a lean before she's going over. Like you everyone was fine with some new scuffs on the ST "wings" and the tip-over bars and one bruised ego.

barry

Top Bottom