jonjonboo went down yesterday--rearended by HD ridin brother

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Jonjonboo, glad to here you're back in the states. I found another ST, an 09, and I'm farkling it up. I'll be takin a little ride to N. GA in Sept. Meeting with the Floribama group, staying at Vinny's, and riding (flying) through the mountains. Glad your bike is back on the road as well. We'll have to do another RTE soon, to catch up.:tb1:
Thanks, congrats for you on your awesome purchase--would have loved to joined you on this trip but I am hoping to do a camping ride to Colorado in Sept with a few friends from Lafayette. Let me know whenever you want to meet up (and ride)

Bike
2005 ST1300
Wow scary stuff, I'm glad you both are ok. What kind of gear were you wearing? Did it do it's job? My HD friends give me A LOT of grief over the gear I wear and my MiSTress.

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Wow scary stuff, I'm glad you both are ok. What kind of gear were you wearing? Did it do it's job? My HD friends give me A LOT of grief over the gear I wear and my MiSTress.
Dont let ANYBODY steer you away from wearing protective clothing. I was wearing a Shoei Qwest full face helmet--$320, Sidi Goretex on road riding boots--$360, leather gloves--$40, Bilt storm riding jacket--$200, Bilt storm riding pants--$150. The gear definitely did it's job, I would most certainly would had a busted noggin if not for the helmet. I did manage to get road rash and tore the lat muscles on the ride side and bruised ribs. After dusting myself off and accessing bike for damage, I rode @ 250 miles home. I am still haggling with my brothers insurance--had to get a lawyer involved.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Dont let ANYBODY steer you away from wearing protective clothing. I was wearing a Shoei Qwest full face helmet--$320, Sidi Goretex on road riding boots--$360, leather gloves--$40, Bilt storm riding jacket--$200, Bilt storm riding pants--$150. The gear definitely did it's job, I would most certainly would had a busted noggin if not for the helmet. I did manage to get road rash and tore the lat muscles on the ride side and bruised ribs. After dusting myself off and accessing bike for damage, I rode @ 250 miles home. I am still haggling with my brothers insurance--had to get a lawyer involved.
Man that is good to hear about the no big injuries for you. I always suit up and was just wondering if your bro did even though he is a HD guy. I've got a work partner rides his Ultra with shorts and flip-flops and one of those walnut things on his head. Good luck with the insurance company.

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Man that is good to hear about the no big injuries for you. I always suit up and was just wondering if your bro did even though he is a HD guy. I've got a work partner rides his Ultra with shorts and flip-flops and one of those walnut things on his head. Good luck with the insurance company.
My brother was lucky, I had just given him my old (yet newish) riding jacket with pads, tourmaster riding boots and pants--he was wearing them and he realized their value after the wreck.

Bike
2005 ST1300
My brother was lucky, I had just given him my old (yet newish) riding jacket with pads, tourmaster riding boots and pants--he was wearing them and he realized their value after the wreck.
Well at least you have a believer in ATGATT now just convince him on school and your golden! Lucky day for him that you are such a good brother.:yes:

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
The tiered system works in other countries

Its keeps an eye on people with NO COMMON SENSE
He could have made the same mistake on a 250cc motorcycle, a Vespa, or even in a car. How would a tired system have help this situation? It wouldn't have.

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Read the thread from the beginning, glad you two are okay. Got your bike back together and out riding, good job! Hope it works out with the insurance. Having a lawyer involved doesn't sound like it's going too good. BeST of luck to you. Hopefully it will be over soon.

Those in the know use Tapatalk Pro.

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
After numerous attempts by my brothers insurance to have this matter dismissed and even my incompetent attorney giving up, I finally got my money for damages ( minus 20% for attorney cost)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well, at least is didn't take a year.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Congrats. Giant pain in the rump sometimes dealing with insurance companies and lawyers... yet they all sound so helpful in their TV ads. HA!

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I just keep telling myself that--- I did warn him that we will no longer ride together until he completes a rider safety course.
Agree with you.
Although, very first step before we start our bikes is to talk to others about the communication signals, to avoid "misinterpretation", like the one in your case. And to give any signal several seconds before the action. Giving a right turn signal and then turning very next second is wrong too.

My 2 cents.

(Just realized the date of the post :D )

Last edited:
OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Agree with you.
Although, very first step before we start our bikes is to talk to others about the communication signals, to avoid "misinterpretation", like the one in your case. And to give any signal several seconds before the action. Giving a right turn signal and then turning very next second is wrong too.

My 2 cents.

(Just realized the date of the post :D )
You know what is even more wrong? Locking your rear tire not touching your front brakes or veering hard to the left when there was plenty of room.

Bike
'15 FJR ES
You know what is even more wrong? Locking your rear tire not touching your front brakes or veering hard to the left when there was plenty of room.
Just face it, it was all YOUR fault. YOU should have done...something??? differently. You knew he was on a Harley, you knew he was not as good a rider as you, you knew you should have taken more precautions.

I suggest some Whelen lights, some Admore lights, some louder pipes, and possibly some counseling. Also, you should pay for any training your brother might need.

I know you said you and your brothers did things your own way but if I EVER crash into your bike, I will be paying to have yours fixed before I fix my own. If I hit you while following you, it is on ME. End of story.

And I really, really, hope I get a chance to ride with you again one day.

Bike
ST1300, VT750C
As far as a refresher course is concerned, I see no good reason for anyone to not take one, even an experienced rider. They're really cheap and properly done, they're a lot of fun for any skill level, just don't get all prideful. When I decided to get back into the motorcycle habit after a 25 year absence, I decided to take the MSF course at the local community college. I was quite the active rider back in college and the mechanics all came back pretty much instantly once I sat on a bike again - which the instructors duly noted, so they continually held me to a much higher standard than the other students. They had me run the esses faster, brake later, stop harder, no grace in the box, more challenging paths to follow... I think it worked out great and I highly recommend it. Why not push your limits in a controlled environment on somebody else's bike that they fully expect to get dinged? Sounds like a no-brainer to me, but I don't bring all that much to the table. Best wishes to you for fun and safe rides.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Prompted and inspired by the revival of this thread, I've just signed on of the Experienced Rider refresher course from MSF.

Thanks for the nudge.

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Andy--we will go riding soon. My brother started riding 10 years ago and I have suggested more times than I can count to take a rider safety course, he won't. As for me I have taken 4 in the past 35 years.The first was given to me by the California hwy patrol compliments of the US Marine Corp. I have 2 given by the Deutsch motorad faren Schule in Germany. Several hundred thousand miles later with no accidents until rear ended last---I think I know how to ride.

Top Bottom