Jump starting/bump starting

I jumped the battery from a Jeep on the new to me '04 ST1300 the other day. Then I read in the owners manual not to do this since it can damage the electrical system. It also says that bump/push starting is "not recommended".

Anyone have any experience or insights on this?
Thanks!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you know how to do these things and are mindful & careful to mind the dangers inherent in them then you may do them. Otherwise we have to be protected from ourselves, you know?

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Probably safer jump starting it with the car off. They may be trying to prevent load dumps. (short high voltage spikes)

Bump starting will only work if you have enough voltage to run the fuel pump and ecm. Hopefully down hill LOL.

Enjoy the new fast blue scoot. :)

OP
OP
Probably safer jump starting it with the car off. They may be trying to prevent load dumps. (short high voltage spikes)

Bump starting will only work if you have enough voltage to run the fuel pump and ecm. Hopefully down hill LOL.

Enjoy the new fast blue scoot. :)
Thanks! I've already begun the farkling while it sits in the garage awaiting a battery.
So far I've installed a Sargent passenger backrest and Heli risers.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have had to bump start my brother's (I pushed him) :dr13: twice and mine (going down hill in my driveway) once. All three times the bikes did fine!

Bike
ST1300A 2006
Never had a problem jumping bikes off of cars, as long as the car is turned off. Jumping bike to bike, make sure the bike is turned on.
Wow...you sound like Evel Knievel...after cars and motorcycles, you might want to give Caesar's Palace a call....;) (just being silly...Cheers)

Top Bottom