Just a Hint...

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I sold the trailer to Al in Canada and used the SeaSTOC event I was going to as an excuse for the two of us to meet up in the Los Angeles area to deliver it. The trailer towed very well and was very solid.
Now that I have purchased the trailer, I'm going to have to wait a few months to use it. We just had a dump of 2" of snow last night. Most of it is gone now by this afternoon, so at least I can give the new trailer to me a wash.
I'll post back with my comments once I get a chance to pull it around Vancouver.
Thanks Joe

Pepe'

Jabberwockey knowledgeable
Bike
2006 ST1300R
And here I thought he finally figured out if a plane on an oversized conveyor would take off.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Now that I have purchased the trailer, I'm going to have to wait a few months to use it. We just had a dump of 2" of snow last night. Most of it is gone now by this afternoon, so at least I can give the new trailer to me a wash.
I'll post back with my comments once I get a chance to pull it around Vancouver.
Thanks Joe
Let me know if you keep the damper on the trailer and if you like it. I designed the damper and sent it to Joe to try.

Dan

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'll let you know once the snow stops flying up here. It sounded like the tail was trying to wag the dog when Joe had his previous mufflers on, so I'll try it without the damper first for the first little while and then I'll try it with the damper. Last time I talked to Joe, he said it pulled excellent with the stock mufflers on. That is my current set up at the moment.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Just an FYI - I also tow a Unigo with my ST1100 - When I made the damper I was using my ST as sort of a test bed to design a unit for Joe to try and fix his wiggle problem. After making the first one and working out the details on my ST1100 I found that I like towing with the damper better than without it. The ST1100 never had an issue with any wobble and is known for its stability but I found that as I loaded the trailer with more weight the more sensitive the handling became and I was uncomfortable in higher crosswinds, behind trucks etc. After installing the damper the trailer was so very much more consistent in handling with higher weights and even extreme crosswind gusts at over 50 mph were no issue at all. Towing with the damper was just a more stabil and confident experience and I chose to keep using it on my ST1100. There is a slight difference in initiating turns being slightly stiffer but I still like the stabil feeling it gives. Try it both ways but you may be surprised at how much more enjoyable it is using it for long hauls.

Dan

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'll let you know once the snow stops flying up here. It sounded like the tail was trying to wag the dog when Joe had his previous mufflers on, so I'll try it without the damper first for the first little while and then I'll try it with the damper. Last time I talked to Joe, he said it pulled excellent with the stock mufflers on. That is my current set up at the moment.
Al, it's quite possible the dampener made a lot of difference. I didn't feel like taking it off/on during my trip to CA as I was trying to make some time and didn't feel like the hassle... even though it isn't hard to do..

Others have posted they don't have a problem w/unigo and I'm thinking they are running the stock pipes or maybe staintunes which are all one-piece designs. I know there is still a 'wiggle' but, the dampener I feel helps keep that from becoming major.

Gamecock

Hey Y'all, Watch This!
Bike
2006 FJR
Interesting discovery, Joe. For the record, I'm running with the original pipes and I've not found the wobble to be an issue for my Unigo either. So, you may be on to something.

Top Bottom