Just arrived

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Just to be clear... we talk about the flawed "ECU" all the time, but aren't we really talking about the PGM-FI UNIT?

I say this because both here, at my work and as a mentor for kids competing in robotics, terminology is important! And I ALWAYS default to the OEM manufacturer's description to eliminate ambiguity.
It depends are where you are looking. Different terminology is used between the parts and technical divisions of Honda.

In the parts catalogue, it is referred to as a PGM-FI UNIT. I find this moniker to be inaccurate as this module controls more than just the fuel injection system. It is only referred to this way a couple of times in the Honda Service Manual.
In the Honda Service Manual it is overwhelmingly referred to as an ECM (Engine Control Module), probably a couple of hundred times. This is a better descriptor.

Since we are normally discussing technical issues, my preference is to default to whatever technical term Honda used in their service manual.

It is often referred to as an ECU (electronic control unit) as well. I have never seen this moniker used by either division of Honda.
This is the most generic of the three, and the one which I find to be the most inaccurate as it is void of any indication of what it is controlling.
The moniker of ECM is a better describtor as it indicates what this module is in control of, so it is clear what is being discussed.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Excellent, welcome to the forum from Cedar City Utah.

And congrats on your :dr13: :hat3:

Bike
2010 ST1300
Some things in this article....

If you don't have a shop manual, get one.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
And I ALWAYS default to the OEM manufacturer's description to eliminate ambiguity.
I ALWAYS appreciate that. There are often multiple pet names (not counting expletives deleted or not) and abbreviations that leave me
:think1:

at the Whiskey Tango level. Ambiguity is convenient but not appreciated. Full disclosure: sometimes trying to find the official nomenclature is a little daunting and on occasion I've given into the When in Rome paradigm. Gomen.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
It depends are where you are looking. Different terminology is used between the parts and technical divisions of Honda.

In the parts catalogue, it is referred to as a PGM-FI UNIT. I find this moniker to be inaccurate as this module controls more than just the fuel injection system. It is only referred to this way a couple of times in the Honda Service Manual.
In the Honda Service Manual it is overwhelmingly referred to as an ECM (Engine Control Module), probably a couple of hundred times. This is a better descriptor.

Since we are normally discussing technical issues, my preference is to default to whatever technical term Honda used in their service manual.

It is often referred to as an ECU (electronic control unit) as well. I have never seen this moniker used by either division of Honda.
This is the most generic of the three, and the one which I find to be the most inaccurate as it is void of any indication of what it is controlling.
The moniker of ECM is a better describtor as it indicates what this module is in control of, so it is clear what is being discussed.
That's a fair take Andrew. I'll confess that though I own the OEM service manual, I don't recall references to the ECM, but then again I've been fortunate to not be in need of servicing that part of my bike so I haven't had the need to get intimate with those sections. <knocking every piece of wood in arm's reach!>

Perhaps my motivation was around those commenting about its unavailability offering advice on where to find them; not necessarily in this particular thread, but in countless others on the site. I thought it would just help to be sure the newer members in particular know what to look for when parts hunting.

Here's to no ST1300 owner suffering from this failure or the inability to repair their bike!

Top Bottom