Just bought a BMW R1200R

I have had my '06 ST1300 for a year now and have put 12,000 very enjoyable miles on it. But I wanted a bike with ABS and I had the itch to try something different. So, I picked up a 2008 BMW R1200R yesterday (not the RT, this is the roadster). It does have saddlebags, windshield, heated grips, and reasonable ergos, but I still need to farkleize it a lot more before it is as comfortable as my ST. BTW does anybody else here also own a R1200R / R1150R / R1100R, or has had one in the past?

When I bought the beemer, I had planned on selling my ST soon. But I am not so sure now because the R1200R doesn't seem to be very comfortable for two-up riding. Maybe this will convince my wife to let me have both bikes. "Honey, I would like to keep the ST because it is much more comfortable for you." :D

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
I can only speak to the looks of your new ride and it is indeed a looker. Anxious to hear how you like it, how it handles, power, etc. Should feel like feather coming off an ST.

STCPO

Pete
STOC #
I had an R1150R for a while. What a fun bike to ride. Oh wait, I've never had a bike that was not fun to ride :)

I did not do any two-up riding on my R1150R, so I can't speak to that. However, I don't think it would be that bad. Mine had side cases and a pretty good size topcase. As a matter of fact it probably had more payload capacity than the ST1300 does. As far as power, no worries with two up, just look at all the folks who travel around the world two-up on the 1200GS.

Enjoy the new bike. You will love it.

Cheers,
Pete

Bike
2007 ST 1300
STOC #
I've ridden an 1150R twice. It was a great daylong run-around ride, significantly faster and more agile that the RT I owned

I'm not sure how good it would be 2-up comfort-wise. Keep your great idea of owning both bikes.

Did you find any 2-up tips on http://www.r1150r.net/

jdpfms

JD Power
Bike
ST1300A&FJR1300
That's a nice bike. I can't make myself buy BMWs due to closest dealer 2 hours away and my overall perception of less reliability I've gotten from internet and personal friends with multiple issues. But I bet it is a blast to ride.

JDP

Bike
2005 ST1300
The 1200R is a really nice sweet (and fast ride). Got a real close look at one at last years BMWMOA rally..

Its is a different category though than the ST. More of a standard than a touring bike..? Nothing against it, I just think its a different tool. Good luck with it (and keeping the ST);)

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
I saw a R1200R at The Gathering in Deming last year and was taken with how everything was "right there." Heck, you can even see/touch the oxygen sensor. I would not mind having one if there was a dealer closer than 350 miles away.

OP
OP
Thanks for all the replies. I will post pics and do a mini-review in a couple of weeks after I put more miles on the bike.

Hi! I have an 07 R1200R. Ergonomics have been a bit of an issues. Stock seat is outright painful. I have a customized Corbin. New to US is a BMW "comfort saddle" which is stock on the "touring" version of the R. I road it and found it FAR more comfortable than my original, but very pricey. Not worth getting rid of the Corbin though.

Also, I use bar-backs with the stock bars, which I find pretty comfy. I tried the narrower bars from an F800ST, but found the big tank to be a problem with the bars bumping unless I used two layers of bar-backs. Not much difference, and I have grown comfortable with the wider stock bars over time.

Finally, I use the BMW touring screen for daily riding, which I shortened on a table saw by lopping off about 1.5 inches from the top. Flattening the top took all the buffeting away. Clean air from the chin up, like a sport bike. Nice change. There are lots of aftermarket windshields out there too. I have a tall Cal-Sci for cold weather, which I am not crazy about: poor fit and lots of buffeting. Still looking for a better winter shield option.

Good luck with the new scoot!

-How

Top Bottom