Just for Fun....

Ok, so I ride from Wisconsin to WeSTOC last year, and with girlfriend on back, pull into the Denver Marriot with Dannyk & MN-nwing, and with a crowd of ST-Owners gathered under the canopy of the front entrance (including our very own Sherob).... promptly tip over as I come to a stop, and roll both of us off & onto the grassy median.... I try not to stop like that any more.

Bike
None
STOC #
Ok, so I ride from Wisconsin to WeSTOC last year, and with girlfriend on back, pull into the Denver Marriot with Dannyk & MN-nwing, and with a crowd of ST-Owners gathered under the canopy of the front entrance (including our very own Sherob).... promptly tip over as I come to a stop, and roll both of us off & onto the grassy median.... I try not to stop like that any more.
Unbelievable!:hat1:
You've heard of speed sleeping? I think you just came up with: Speed Dismounting!
:bow1:

:crackup :a13: :crackup

Last edited:

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
I've had a few tipovers, but probably my dumbest was in 1997. PK and I had attended NESTOC together and rode south from Vermont to do the BRP. It was a pretty long day, we rode from Rutland Vermont to Front Royal Virginia, and I was pretty tired.

We pulled into a motel, got off the bikes and checked in. Then we pulled down to our room, decided to park on a walkway under a second floor walkway.

I pulled in to the parking space, got off the bike, and walked away from it a step without putting the sidestand down. I actually heard it crunch over, behind me as I was walking away. Don't know how it stayed up that long.

Where's my sign? :D

Viggo

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
My scariest tip-over tale: Coming back home from Road America, wife and a ton of camping gear loaded on the bike, on a narrow Wisc. alphabet road when I hear a little beep-beep from behind me. Our riding companion had pulled over to re-tie some gear that was flapping in the breeze. By the time I realize they've stopped, I'm a quarter mile down the road so I figure I'll just do an easy u-turn and see what's up.

Of course, there were no usable shoulders on this road so it was a very tight u-turn. Right in the middle of the road, over she goes when I too much lean, no speed. Our get-off was just fine, both me and the wife basically stepped off as she was going down but almost immediately, I see a truck coming over the top of the hill, going fast, and there we are with the bike laid down right smack in the middle of the road (much like a dead skunk :22yikes: ). I yell (might even have been a scream) to the wife to help me yank that heavy monster upright and we wheel it off to the side just as the truck goes flying by. I'm not sure he saw us at all because he didn't even slow down as far as I could tell. Meanwhile our friends who had stopped were laughing their arses off.

This happend on my old '85 Interstate so no zippo for me yet (raps forehead, muttering knock on wood).

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
In the early Seventies I had a Honda 305 Scrambler and I was trying to impress a couple of babes and dumped it! :eek::

STOC #
My most embarrasing time was when my old honda 550/4 with full windjammer and krauser bags was parked at the end of a row of bikes under the Hotel canopy in. I thought the side stand was down but of course it wasnt.. down goes mine and starts a a domino effect. Took out 4 other bikes!
Now if that wasnt bad enought... Next morning, the guy on the other end of the line did the same thing, taking down 4 bikes including mine..

I am embarrased to admit that I dropped my one week old 2006 ST with about 200 kms on it.

It was in my own driveway and I was about to go for a ride and was sitting on it with the kickstand up when the mailman walked in to the yard. I had been waiting for some business correspondence so I got off the bike and walked over to him ... of course the bike just fell over behind me as I had not put the kickstand down. I jus about cried. Thank god for tip over wings, not a scratch anywhere other than on the left tipover wing cover. Really glad I had an ST that day. I still haven't changed the cover as it reminds of how stupid I can be and to be more careful, plus no one can see the scuffs on the underside anyways. But I know they are there.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
My moST embarrassing was on a Kaw 900 and didn't happen because no one else saw it...
Sure was weird watching the bike fall over from 15 ft in front of it after I opened that gate...

Mark

Bike
None
STOC #
Great stories!!

This isn't actually a tip over but...(and keep in mind that, like all these instances, this took place in a matter of seconds)

I have a friend who @ 6' tall weighs in @ about 400/450??? He's a big boy. Anyway he had just bought a new to him VTX1800. It had been several years since he'd ridden so he was a bit rusty. Wanting to show it off to his friends (we were all anxious to see it anyway!) he met up with us one Sat. morn. There were three of us waiting in a parking lot to see his new bike when he showed up. With a s--t eating grin plastered to his face he cruised across the lot toward us. Just as he was getting close to us he popped her into neutral, hit the kill switch and glided to a stop with us directly to his left. Just like the rest of us, as soon as the bike had come to a complete stop he'd put both feet out and, like I usually do, leaned the weight of the bike to his left. That's when the comedy started.

Now to the rest of us everything seemed to be going just like it should for our large friend. However as we watched him make that stop, his grin:-D suddenly transformed into a look of puzzlement:???: which quickly developed into a look of shock:shock: . Still upright the rest of us are begining to wonder why the heck he's doing that when all of a sudden he begins to flail his handlebars back and forth accompanied by a wild pumping of his left leg! That's when we realized that he was in trouble and lurched forward to help. Unfortunately we weren't close enough so over he pitches to his left. Then, unbelievably his foot hits the ground with an audible thud and he catches the bike right on the edge of no return and holds it there long enough for the rest of us to reach him and get the bike righted. Then came the sudden look of relief on his face!:rolleyes:

Now a credit to his good nature. Not a swear word was issued just: "Holy smokes" panic induced chuckle inserted here "I think I just used up my allotment of excitement for the week!:oops:

Turns out he was wearing sneakers and the shoe string sneaked it's way around his foot peg so that he couldn't get his foot all the way to the ground! I have to admit that he performed an impressive dance on the big bike to keep it upright as long as he did! Needless to say he had to put up with a considerable amount of friendly abuse from the rest of us once it was over!:crackup :crackup :crackup

Hope you enjoy this one. I'll put another of mine on next time.

Cheddarhead

Smell the Dairy Air!
Bike
2003 ST1300...the "O
STOC #
Guess I'll share my "moment of glory..." as well.

Happened just a month or so ago...I'd found my ST at a local Shop...a silver '03 model with just over 1,200 miles on the dial.

Traded an old '81 CB 750 Custom for the ST...loaded it onto my 12' utility trailer for the ride across town. The guy at the shop helped by sitting on the cycle (compressing the forks) and had me tighten the RH side to a point "just past" upright....used the LH rachet strap to bring the bile back onto the side stand. Forks are pre-loaded, and the bike is snugged down tight as can be.

I back the trailer up my 80' driveway...jump from the Expedition, and proudly (non-chalantly...need to be "cool" about this...) release the LH rachet strap.

No longer bound, the forks rebound, the cycle rotates up to and past vertical, and tips onto it's side, scratching the fairing and RH pannier on the railing of the trailer.

A stream of expletives emerges as I frantically wrestle the bike back upright. "Cool" vanishes like a hint of rain on a summer evening.

Cheddar

Bike
None
STOC #
Oh, Cheddar! That had to put the hurt on your ego!:banghead:

Unbelievable! (Of coarse we've all been there! Some of us just conviniently forget!)

Top Bottom