Just ordered Road Smarts

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
... from Tim @ Two Brothers ..and should be here Monday.. wooo hooo just the thought of new tires is exhilarating,:headbang:

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well, you know how my area is.. 200 miles to any decent twisties...

Bike
FJR 1300A
STOC #
What were you riding before? Let us know how they ride,I got a new rear Avon Storm @ WESTOC, I like the Storm's, I had Dunlops 205's before the Storms and they suck.

STOC #
Running a roadsmart on the rear right now. Excellent handling and traction... Love it!
Found a nail in it the other day, patching from inside this weekend. I seem to have a problem with getting nails in new tires... Is there nail repellent available??

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
What were you riding before? Let us know how they ride,I got a new rear Avon Storm @ WESTOC, I like the Storm's, I had Dunlops 205's before the Storms and they suck.
OEM Bridgstone 020s... Got 7,000 out of the rear before the first wear bar was showing and added another 400-500 now all of them are showing. I could ride to work for a week or two before I see cord but I tend to pass on that type of darwin award testing.

The front still looks pretty good.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
How much and did you get your tire mounting equipment?

If so, let me know, I'd like to have it present at the TechSTOC in August if possible. :)
$250 delivered.

No tire mount stuff yet... still getting gas CC bills from my WeSTOC trip.

If I can swing it, I'll have the mounting stuff.. give me another couple of weeks to see what I can do. We've had some unexpected $$ issues here so the no-mar is not exactly on the top of the list.

Medicine Bear

R.I.P. - 2010/11/14
Rest In Peace
STOC #
And some Texans wonder why folks like living in New England...
Man, I don't wonder a bit! A friend in Durango with an FJR is always telling me he wishes he had a 12 month riding season and I'm always telling him I'll trade him my 12 month season in a heartbeat for places to ride nearby that he has.

Fred :03biker::confused:

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The way I see it... I feel like I appreciate those areas more because they aren't right outside my window... yeah.. right... that's the ticket...

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
... from Tim @ Two Brothers ..and should be here Monday.. wooo hooo just the thought of new tires is exhilarating,:headbang:
I put a set on my bike before Westoc, and after 4,000 miles in the last 2 weeks, I think I have a good idea of how these tires will perform. I ran through 5 bad storms on the way down, and took Ravens Total Control Class in the rain. These tires are great on wet pavement, we were scraping pegs on wet pavement. The front tire still looks like new and the rear has a slight flat on center, nothing I would not expect after 3200 miles at 80+ MPH.
On the road for high speed cruising they are great. I like the turn-in and roll charateristics, they are not slow in the corners and give a good feel while cornering and at highway speeds.

Bike
2006 ST1300
$250 delivered.

No tire mount stuff yet... still getting gas CC bills from my WeSTOC trip.

If I can swing it, I'll have the mounting stuff.. give me another couple of weeks to see what I can do. We've had some unexpected $$ issues here so the no-mar is not exactly on the top of the list.
Same here, got Roadsmarts on the way from Two Brothers for $250. Best price out there.

I like to have tires waiting well in advance, plus I just got my "stimulus" check so I'm stimulating.

I went through rear tires on the XX at about 4500 miles, was hopping the ST would do better, less power and all, but is not to be. Rear 020 going down fast at 2500 miles.

I'm guessing the extra weight combined with a one size smaller rear tire is not helping.

I've been mounting and balancing for years with a Harbor Freight setup.:):)

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
I seem to have a problem with getting nails in new tires... Is there nail repellent available??
You might want to try hanging a rubber piece under the bike. Kind of like a narrow mud flap. The object is when the front tire kicks up a nail, it lets it drop down rather than be at a perfect angle for entering the rear tire.

A friend that got a couple rear flats did this and hasn't had a rear flat since. Not exactly scientific.

OTOH, I got a couple rear flats within a couple weeks a couple years ago, I haven't done the rubber flap and also haven't had a rear flat since.

I figure the rubber flap couldn't hurt, just haven't done it yet.

Ray

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Rear 020 going down fast at 2500 miles. I'm guessing the extra weight combined with a one size smaller rear tire is not helping.
You've either got to be beating the heck out of that tire or it isn't an 020F. The non-OEM 020 isn't designed to support the extra load of the ST and wears out pretty quickly.

I'm going to do one more set of 020s, and if you guys get good wear out of your Road Smarts, I'll try a set next time through.

--Mark

Killtimer

Youth Challenged Member
Somewhere in the Majestic Rocky Mountains of Alber
STOC #
You've either got to be beating the heck out of that tire or it isn't an 020F. The non-OEM 020 isn't designed to support the extra load of the ST and wears out pretty quickly.
I'll second this.

I'm going to do one more set of 020s, and if you guys get good wear out of your Road Smarts, I'll try a set next time through.
3600 hard, fully loaded and hot miles. 4mm remaining on the rear centre, slightly squared off. Front shows almost no wear. I'm also a heavy user of engine braking.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I'll second this.

3600 hard, fully loaded and hot miles. 4mm remaining on the rear centre, slightly squared off. Front shows almost no wear. I'm also a heavy user of engine braking.
Well at 2500 miles rear is at 5/32 or 4mm. since they start at 10/32 new I'm 1/2 way.

It's got the origional, factory, specific 020 tires.

We never figured out why I killed tires faster than almost anyone at the XX site. Looks like nothing will change here.

Top Bottom