K&N

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I've been doing motorcycle repairs since 1974. Many years ago, I worked as a motorcycle mechanic at a Yamaha / BMW dealer. I've used both OEM and aftermarket parts on Hondas over the past several decades. Today I use only OEM parts on Honda motorcycles. I've had much better results with OEM parts vs. aftermarket parts. I no longer question Mother Honda. To use anything but OEM parts on a Honda vehicle you are saying that you know better than Honda. Or, a stupid company like K&N knows better than Honda.
Actually, K&N thought to weld a nut on to the end of their oil filter to make removal easier so that's one thing they know how to do better.

I can't comment on the effectiveness of the filter itself, but I doubt if I'd find out that I'd been using the wrong filter until I have a couple of hundred thousand miles on the engine.

Bike
1996 Honda ST1100
Actually, K&N thought to weld a nut on to the end of their oil filter to make removal easier so that's one thing they know how to do better.

I can't comment on the effectiveness of the filter itself, but I doubt if I'd find out that I'd been using the wrong filter until I have a couple of hundred thousand miles on the engine.
The inside of an oil filter is much more important than the outside. I have yet to see ANY aftermarket company do anything better than Honda. Since 1974 I have never had ANY quality or performance problems with any vehicles or parts from Honda. I never try to solve a problem that doesn't exist. :)

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I have yet to see ANY aftermarket company do anything better than Honda. Since 1974 I have never had ANY quality or performance problems with any vehicles or parts from Honda.
I have.

Maybe we've had different models, different luck, or different standards and expectations.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
We've all had different experiences.
Care to share details with us, dwalby?
I don't want to get into a my brand is better than your brand debate, that wasn't my intention. But since you asked I'll provide a few details.

The only other Honda I've ever owned was a 1981 CB900C. Bought new, it had the following issues while I owned it:

1. the trip odometer on the speedo was defective, the gears didn't mesh right so it would just click without rolling over the tens digit (IIRC). Replaced under warranty within the first few hundred miles.

2. front wheel had a periodic hopping pattern at 35mph or so. Dealer noticed that the wheel was bent out of true at 1k-2k miles, replaced under warranty. A couple thousand miles later, same thing. Checked runout myself and noticed it was back again. Not a huge problem, didn't pursue it any further. Figured why bother, it wasn't two consecutive defective wheels, they were just too weak to take any kind of street bumps without going out of true.

3. bike had headshake, but considering the front wheel was out of true, didn't bother trying to remedy that.

4. at 45k miles, with perfectly adjusted valves, cylinders #2 & #3 burned valves and lost compression. Don't know the details, sold it to a friend of mine and said goodbye.

My ST1100 has been pretty much trouble-free with the exception of the initial headshake, which was solved by replacing the steering stem bearings with CBR tapered bearings.

In comparison, other bikes I've owned by Yamaha and Suzuki were trouble free for many miles, and one Kawi I owned was problematic. I had an FZR1000 with 118,000 miles on it that still ran fine, I just didn't need 3 bikes so I donated it to charity.

I think Honda makes an excellent product. My own experiences have shown them to be no better than the Y or S brands, who also make excellent products. As they say YMMV.

Last edited:

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
No doubt Honda makes a fine product. But it has to balance quality with price and has to make decisions based not necessarily what is best, but what is good enough. Also has to make a product that appeals to a large number of individuals, many of whom have different ideas of what is needed. Starting with the ST1100, which was a game-changer, no doubt--how many folks changed the lighting, which was generally felt to be sub-par, even if they only used higher-wattage bulbs? Not to mention, auxiliary lighting. Even Honda upgraded the 28 amp alternator. How many switched shields or seats? How many put in tapered steering head bearings? How many are using non-OEM tires, many of which were not even available at the time the bike was being designed? There are coolants that work as good as or better than what Honda put in. Brake pads and discs that are as good or better, depending on what you want. Sure, adding non-oem items has its risks, but also it rewards.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Timothy - Being strongly opinionated is fine as long as there's room for someone else's opinion ... :D As I always say,

"Good men can agree to disagree without being disagreeable".

BTW, I've run all sorts of tire combinations - currently the above option on one ST1100, ST1300 radial tire sizes on another (fronts are the same size on ABSII), and 'proper size' radials on a third. ;-) In 300,000+ miles, you try stuff to see what works - regardless of the opinions. If I'm going to shoot, I prefer advice from the folks that have shot the guns, not the ones that have read a book about shooting the guns. ;-)

Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
Hi folks
Personally I think fitting all OEM parts is a bit excessive, and for me on a 17 year old bike the running repair costs have to be look at to see if it all tallies up, please don't get me wrong though the ST gets what it needs as its my daily driver.
I'm lucky that I get all my oils and coolant etc from work so that takes the sting out of it.
Cheers
Chris

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Could you give us any examples of where an aftermarket company did something better than Mother Honda? :)
By "better" I mean higher quality and/or higher performance.
For the ST1300 people have replaced the stock seat with aftermarket versions they find to be significantly better.

The 1100 and 1300 suspensions have been upgraded with various aftermarket shocks, cartridge emulators in the forks, and different springs. Also braided stainless brake lines are a very common upgrade.

If you want to expand across the Honda line, sportbike riders upgrade things like wheels, brakes, suspension, etc. especially if they race the bikes on the track in a class that allows modifications.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Could you give us any examples of where an aftermarket company did something better than Mother Honda? :)
By "better" I mean higher quality and/or higher performance.
Seriously? Honda does a great job but how about shocks, forks, seats, windscreens, the list goes on as examples of higher quality / higher performance aftermarket solutions? OEM parts are designed to meet minimum requirements at the lowest possible price. For the owner that doesn't mind the expense, many things can be improved. If Honda were to supply top shelf equipment as OEM, a lot of people would reject the associated cost.

Bike
1996 Honda ST1100
For the ST1300 people have replaced the stock seat with aftermarket versions they find to be significantly better.

The 1100 and 1300 suspensions have been upgraded with various aftermarket shocks, cartridge emulators in the forks, and different springs. Also braided stainless brake lines are a very common upgrade.

If you want to expand across the Honda line, sportbike riders upgrade things like wheels, brakes, suspension, etc. especially if they race the bikes on the track in a class that allows modifications.
You can not speak for others. I am fully aware of the popularity of aftermarket upgrades with "people."
I guess I should have been more specific. Could you give us any specific examples of where YOU have experienced (purchase & used) an aftermarket part that performs better or is better quality than those made by Honda?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Seriously? Honda does a great job but how about shocks, forks, seats, windscreens, the list goes on as examples of higher quality / higher performance aftermarket solutions? OEM parts are designed to meet minimum requirements at the lowest possible price. For the owner that doesn't mind the expense, many things can be improved. If Honda were to supply top shelf equipment as OEM, a lot of people would reject the associated cost.
Yea, imagine Honda spending big bucks to put a Russell Day long seat on, in their factory! Definitely a huge improvement over OEM!

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Could you give us any specific examples of where YOU have experienced (purchase & used) an aftermarket part that performs better or is better quality than those made by Honda?
Yes, I just posted one glaring example and I did buy one! Why be so hard nosed about this?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, let me see - MCCruise Electronic Cruise Control - not offered by Honda, Russell Daylong Saddle - Honda's saddle is not even close in comfort, Clearview Gen II windshield - Honda's stock windshield does not provide adequate wind protection for me, Rojen Grips - fat in the center with built in throttle tab - they are shaped to fit your hands - much better than Honda Stock Grips and more cushion, SYmtex heated grips - not offered on the ST1100 - just a few things that I have several 100,000 miles of experience with. ;-)

Bike
1996 Honda ST1100
Yes, I just posted one glaring example and I did buy one! Why be so hard nosed about this?
Please specify your "one glaring example?" Which part did you buy & use? On what year-make-model vehicle?
I am not being "hard nosed." As a former motorcycle mechanic, I have developed strong opinions after many years of training, experience & observations of human behavior (since 1974). I currently own, operate & repair my 13th motorcycle.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
My examples are on my 1997 ST1100 standard, my 1997 ST1100 ABSII and my 2002 ST1100 ABSII. All three bikes have the same mods to them - including Works Racer Pro rear shocks to replace the anemic Honda rear shock and Works Progressive springs in the front with 1 1/8 preload to stiffen up the front end that wanted to wallow around. :D I have over 300,000+ miles between the three ST1100s now... ;-)

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
You can not speak for others. I am fully aware of the popularity of aftermarket upgrades with "people."
I guess I should have been more specific. Could you give us any specific examples of where YOU have experienced (purchase & used) an aftermarket part that performs better or is better quality than those made by Honda?
Let's face it, everyone is different in size, height, weight, arm/leg length, etc. If ANY Honda motorcycle product came off the line perfect, it would have to be, one size fits all! It doesn't work that way!

I for one didn't even like the ST1300 when it first came out, BECAUSE IT DIDN'T FIT ME!

Even before putting the first mile on it, I had to add a riser, fatter hand grips (stock cause my hands to cramp up!) and a throttle lock (my hands go numb).

Then I rode the bike up to NorCal for a ride on the stock saddle! Oh what a mistake that was. Thank goodness I had already ordered my first RDL!

Then I found that my boots were marring up the step where the foot pegs were, so I had to put on some boot guards.

I hit the horn it goes off with a very weak Road Runner sound, had to replace that with a Stebel. But to get the Stebel to work, I had to run wires from the battery to the front to handle the wattage!

At least in Europe, Honda knew it didn't do enough for comfort, so they had the option of the topcase, where as here in the States, we had to pay big time to get one!

Mirrors are too flat, had to add spot mirrors.

Throttle tubes are weak at best, had to replace with a G2 ThrottleTamer for smother action.

The helmet locks are a joke! You have to open up the saddles to get to them? Not one of their better ideas!

The windshield is too narrow at the top, I prefer the V-Stream myself!

Along with a few other things I've added for my OWN COMFORT that Honda didn't bother with!

So Yeah, a bike that comes off the line is not ready made for EVERYBODY! Many have to MODIFY them to fit right!

Top Bottom