K1600 test ride from a K1300GT owner's perspective

Picked up a GTL to test ride over the holiday weekend. I have a K16GT on pre-order.

Spent some time on it today, and here are my thoughts from the perspective of owning a K13GT.

Riding Position:
The K16GTL is certainly more touring ourientated in terms of it's riding position. The bars are very high, and swept back, which I find to be very comfortable. My K13GT has Verholen risers on it, and even still the riding position on the 13GT while very comfortable, is noticeably more sport orientated. I also notice that withthe GTL it feels like the rider is sitting in the bike, as opposed to on it like the 13GT.

Having sat on the K16GT I would put it in the middle of the 13GT and 16GTL in terms of riding position.

Wind Protection:

My 13GT has an Aeroflow tall with the wings added. I feel the weather protection is a bit better on my 13GT as it is equipped right now. Stock vs. stock, the 16GTL is better.

Engines:

All the magazines have gushed over the 6, and I give it very high marks also. In fact, it's the smoothest, most torquey, charasmatic engine I've ever ridden. It pulls extremely hard off the bottom, and sounds like an formula racer when you wind it out.

The 13GT engine is more visceral, and in my opinion sounds even better with it's intake growl. Compared to the 1600, the 13GT feels more like a sporting engine. It wants you to twist the throttle and rev it, whereas the 1600 feels more relaxed/content to thrum along at all times. It's worth noting that at 80 mph the 16GT is turning about 700 rpm less than the 13GT, but it is somewhat relative as the 13GT has a much higher redline.

Honestly, it's like comparing an M5 to a 7 series in some ways. The 1300 and 1600 are both amazing engines. I like them both for different reasons and can't say I would part with the 13GT simply for the 16GT engine.

Handling:

I was AMAZED at how light the steering is on the 16GT. It intuitively goes where you want it to and like my 13GT is dead nuts stable at high speeds and through corners. Duo-lever front suspension is phenominal in real world riding.

I do think the 13GT has the clear edge in handling though.

So will I trade the 13GT for a 16GT? I really don't know....the 13GT is so damn good it's hard to justify. I'll ned to ride a 16GT to say for sure.

Attachments

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
Wow..those are some beautiful bikes!! Can't wait to read your long term impressions of your new bike! I'm definetly jealous!

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
You have my sympathy! I can only imagine the trauma you are facing having been put in such a precarious situation. :D

You have our support in whatever decision you ultimately make.

Of course I'm just teasing you. I have pictures of the 16 on my hard drive that pop up every once in a while. I sure like that bike. I rode the 13GT and the single most outstanding feature was the lever front end. Handling was superior to my ST13. There were things I disliked about the GT but when I grabbed a hand full of brake fluid and sent it to the front and I felt zero dive, it was almost crazy good feeling!

All free men should be granted multiple bikes.;)

Good info!! Just another example of why I love this site. Thanks for posting!!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Nice review, thanks.. I expected the 1600 to look a lot larger in comparison but it looks about the same. Very nice bike.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Judge... great to read this comparison. I too thought it would look larger than the K13GT. The point that sticks with me is that you sit "in" a K16GTL and "on" a K13GT.

Kudos to BMW for letting you take one home! :bmwkick1:

Bike
BMW K1600 GTL
STOC #
If you decide to sell your K1300 let me know how much. I like it's styling and performance. If it's the right price I might be interested. PM me when you decide.

Bike
2009 VeeStrom
STOC #
Thanks for posting your impressions for others to read, Great job.Enjoy the rest of your evaluation weekend and time in the saddle.

STOC #
Well I will chime in here as I have officially taken a test ride on the new K1600GTL. Rode it Saturday for about 30 minutes and came away very impressed with several things and disappointed in one (which can be easily fixed). First, the engine is about the best engine I have ever experienced in ANY motor vehicle (two wheels or four). Amazing pull in all gears and RPM range. Slickest shifting transmission of any bike I have ridden (Japanese or German). Exhaust note is "Get the heck out of my way and see my tail lights". The instrumentation is more than complete. The menus are daunting at first, but once you get the hang of it, you understand everything (Audio, Suspension, Engine mapping, heated grips, heated seat, Language prefs, screen settings, Tire pressure monitoring, light setup - for left hand drive or right hand drive... cool, why didn't they think of that before?). This bike is a technological tour de force. But at the same time, it is very easy to ride, very light on the steering effort. The weight I would put in the ballpark of my old ST1300, definitely not GoldWing territory. It hides it's mass well. The only thing I did not like was the seating position as it was low for me (I am 6' 3") and the demo bike had the low seat which is not adjustable. The high seat would be a requirement for me, but better still would be the GT with the forward leaning bar position, which I prefer. The only other negative, and this is the case with all newer BMWs is that they have adopted the less intuitive and harder to use Japanese turn signals over the more ergonomically designed paddles. Oh well, can't have it all. After the test ride, I will definitely be moving up to a GT in the near future, maybe a 2013 or 2014 model (after I demo one those next year when they are in stock).

Bike
2013 K1600GTL
STOC #
Thanks for the post and your thoughts. The BMW Motorrad 2011 is happening in Garmisch, Germany over the 4th of July weekend. I am going up to test ride a K1600GTL!! Rumor is we have them for just over an hour in the Alps! I will post some observations when I get back. I am waiting for the BMW Military sales rep to e-mail me back with the price sheets to see how much they are.

JD

Top Bottom