Kaoka throttle lock

Bike
2012 ST1300
I bought one of these last week and expected a quick installation over the weekend. Not so.

I would appreciate any assistance...

The thrust washer is the same ID as the throttle tube, so I can't insert it into the end of the tube as the instructions show.

The center of the main body is supposed to fit inside the metal handlebar tube after removing the bar end weight. I can't get the main body inside the metal tube unless I use a mallet because it's such a tight fir. And I can't image getting it out once in place.

The product looks to be a simple install. There is only one model offered for all years ST1300. Mine is a 2012.

Thanks in advance,
Stephen

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
You have to remove more than just the bar end weight. The hardware inside the handlebar that the weight screws into has to be removed, as well. There is a clip that you'll need to press in (I used a small screw driver) to allow it to come out. It may still be stuck inside; I screwed the bar end bolt back in (minus the weight,) clamped a pair of vice grips to the bolt. and tapped it out with a mallet. If the rubber is really stuck, a heat gun may be necessary.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've never heard of this brand nor seen it mentioned on this website before. You might consider calling their customer service line or emailing them for help.

I was a bit disconcerted by the boilerplate upfront on their website (the disclaimer that says you are responsible for any problems you manage to get yourself into while using their product) but it is no different than others. And here I thought Throttlemeister was the leader in friction type cruise controls.....

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Actually, Kaoko is pretty well known, and a number of us are using their throttle locks. I've had mine for several years. Well made, works well, doesn't look out of place on the bike. It's similar to the Throttlemeister in operation, but the actuating ring is cog shaped. This allows you to engage it with a push down of the pinky finger, rather than twisting the end like a Throttlemeister. The degree of friction can be varied, and the amount of drag on the actuating mechanism is adjustable. It's an excellent product, and I'd recommend it to anyone. (Not cheap, but you only buy it once.)

Top Bottom