Kawasaki breaks plans for an electric future

Bike
04 ST1300
Wont affect me. I will still be on my ST. Hopefully they wont outlaw Internal combustion.

The real question is what kind of a range will these bikes have. This could put a serious damper on long distance touring in terms of MPD (miles per day). 700 to 800 miles per day will be difficult if charging breaks are required every 150 miles, as compared to 225 -300 for most bikes. And a fill up time of 5 minutes.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
They're going to have to come up with a well mannered road trip machine.....in the neighborhood of 300 miles range at highway conditions and a recharge time of 30 minutes max. Cost IS an object. Tesla has demonstrated e-cars are coming. All I have seen on two wheels have been short range barely legal dirt bikes with hefty recharge times. The E-Harley isn't much better....at this point. Kinda like e-cigarettes...the hightech stuff that fools you into thinking you are smoking.
This is just my opinion at this point. Practical 2 and 4 wheelers are on the horizon. I'm 71.....better hurry.

Tedbrogden

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Versys 1000LT
2024 Miles
Even if they solve the battery and recharge bit the biggest issue is that we don't have the electrical capacity to charge all these e vehicles. Even Tesla is saying that as they try to sell electric cars. It is truly stupid to try and force consumers into buying electric vehicles when they can't be sustained and as pointed out above, make us change our life style to accommodate them.

Bike
2010 ST1300
The subtitle of that link said "For Developed Markets". Which leaves great swaths of the world with ICE powered motorcycles.

Sure we are developed, but will rural areas today be 'developed' with charging stations within a reasonable distance by 2035? Its hard to imagine that kind of infrastructure in large parts of Iowa, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Wyoming, Idaho, Texas, the 4 corners states, etc.

Bike
Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
Sure hope they get fast charging and infrastructure figured out...

Don't you worry about the infrastructure for all of the up-and-coming electric vehicles. Our president and his forward-thinking stellar administration have this 100% under control! Smooth sailing and calm seas everyone. NOT!

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I got my reservation in to get this , about a year from now I think , according to my R. number : Aptera Motors

( I need a new toy , since I gave up on my 10 year want idea of a class C Winnebago ! )

( Can't take it with you ! )

Top Bottom