Kawasaki Versys

STOC #
I am considering selling my Magna and replacing it with a Versys as a companion to my ST. Does anyone own one or have any opinions? I had considered a KLR 650, but it is more dirt than I am interested in. The Versys looks like it may work for mostly paved road, the occasional gravel and still be fun on the freeway. What do ya think?

Bike
ST1100
STOC #
Hi STryder
Which Magna you selling and why, I just think you should keep it and get a Kwak as well. You will miss the lazy runs on the cruiser....well I would.
Take care and best of luck with your choices
Paul

STOC #
I like everything about it but the under motor exhaust which keeps you from having a center stand and it has no tail rack or allowances for one. For me this is a deal breaker. :shrug1:
I was really interested in this bike until I found out.

PB

Bike
2003 ST1300
In my opinion, Kaw designed the Versys for the "Win the Styling" contest, but could not decide on which style, so they choose a bit from many. It did however win the "Ugly contest". 'nuff on styling; Kaw builds a very strong parallel twin, and it likely has fine performance, somewhere between a super moto and standard. It is a tall bike, yet it comes standard with street tires, so why the adventure poser? Fitted with bags,you'll have a fine weekend escape vehicle. The Magna and Versys are far apart, but I'd take a Versys over the 650 if you intend to stick to pavement.

I rode one at the Mid-Ohio demo and really liked the bike except for the seat. I'm right at 6'2" with a 33" inseam. The step in the seat was too far forward keeping me from sitting back far enough to be comfortable. Fix the seat ant it would be a really nice bike I think. Odd they would make a tall bike and not accomodate slightly taller riders. Those group demo rides are not the best way to try out a bike what with having to carefully watch the strangers in a pack in front and the strangers in the pack behind.

OP
OP
STryder
STOC #
Thanks Alpha, for the thought on the Magna. It is a 02 750. Although, the Magna is exciting for a 750, every time I head to garage for a ride, I go for the ST instead. It is a shame to see the Magna sit, especially since it only has 6000 miles.
I am thinking that the Versys would be more like a wee strom only not as ugly, and I would ride it more.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
We've had one on our showroom floor since this past August. It takes the prize for 'most asked about' and 'most looked at' bike. But it hasn't sold.

STOC #
I kept passing up my cruiser for the ST. Traded in on a DL650. I think it feels a lot like the ST but about 250 lbs lighter. Tried the Versys, I didn't like the feel as much as the DL. Got a chance to ride both, from friends that have them. I liked the DL better and that is where I put my money. But it is all what is best for you.

I've read everything I can on the Versys and sat on one a few times. It's very high on my new bike list. Don't worry about what other people perceive the bike to be (adventure, sport, etc.) In the end it's a comfortable, upright bike that can probably do a little of everything.

Here is a good Versys forum. More categories and topics become available if you become a member. http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Twisted throttle http://www.twistedthrottle.com/ sells racks for sidecases, top box, etc. You can also get crash bars, screens......pretty much everything you need to make it into a nice little tourer. Look under "what fits my bike".

Here's a review with a video. http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/kawasaki/2008-kawasaki-versys-road-test-71476.html

STOC #
I bought a V-Strom for the same reason - something lighter to complement the ST. Also something I can laugh at dirt roads, rather than freaking out. I got the 1000 Strom, but many are happy with the 650. I think the Strom 650 and Versys are similar market segments. Upright, fun. The Strom is so easy to ride, I often prefer it over the ST when riding alone.

I wasn't aware the Versys isn't compatible with a center stand. That would be a deal breaker for me, especially on a chain drive bike.

Top Bottom