Kendon stand-up trailers

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Yesterday, 60-14-08, I went to the LA Roadsters car show at Fairplex (Pomona, CA) and saw a booth for Kendon trailers.

I was impressed with their foldup trailers, and they have several models. I was mostly interested in the most utilitarian type, usable for everything, but they do have specific one and two motorcycle versions.

Check them at www.kendonusa.com.

They also have bike lifts for different size/type bikes.

Bike
07 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I have the two-bike stand up model and it is awesome. Takes up very little space in the garage and is easy to load and unload.

georgiast

Failure is NOT an option...
I have a chinese Kendon knockoff [long story...].

I have hauled the ST1300, ST1100, and 04 Concours. They are kinda tricky to load and unload due to top heaviness and weight, but it can be done.

So far, no damage. Easily towed. Easy to store.

The hardest part on loading is when you reach the top of the ramp with the front wheel and the whole angle changes. Same with unload. Best to jack up the front of the trailer with a bottle jack while attached to the bumper of the tow vehicle to make a smoother transition from the ramp to the trailer bed and prevents any possible bottoming.

The 1100 and Concours loaded without any additional modifications. I had to remove the flip over wheel chock for the 1300 due to the fact that it rubbed the lower cowling when the suspension was compressed with straps.

How easy is it to load the Kendon trailer with the ST? Does the bottom of the bike hit the trailer at any time? Thanks.

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
The Kendon single rail is on my list of items I'd like in my garage. I think I could pull the KLR on it with the Wing .

TPadden

Tom Padden
Yesterday, 60-14-08, I went to the LA Roadsters car show at Fairplex (Pomona, CA) and saw a booth for Kendon trailers.....
I compared the Kendon side by side with Rocket - I went with the Rocket ALL ALUMINUM Platform 120PT. I've had a lot of trailers and this is my favorite; it stores vertically too. I did remove the chock and use a Baxley.

http://www.rocketmotorcycletrailers.com/

Tom

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Just invested in a Kendon Double Stand-Up Trailer. Had help at the dealership and definately decided that loading an ST1300 is NOT a one person job. It is essential to keep the momentum going up the ramp and it is a long drop if you lose it. With that caution, we are really happy with the trailer. As you can see, even Jack approves!

There was no problem loading with the lower fairing clearance either when coming up the ramp, or with the wheel chock. Make sure that the trailer is level when attached to the hitch or you could have problems with the fairing clearance when loading.

Stands up nicely in the garage but watch the rear lights when you push it up against the wall.

More pictures at: http://www.texasmorleys.com/2005-HondaST1300/MyFarkles/Kendon%20Double%20Bike%20Stand-Up%20Trailer/index.html

We'll post pictures with two ST1300s loaded later this week. :biker:

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I have a chinese Kendon knockoff [long story...].

I have hauled the ST1300, ST1100, and 04 Concours. They are kinda tricky to load and unload due to top heaviness and weight, but it can be done.

So far, no damage. Easily towed. Easy to store.

The hardest part on loading is when you reach the top of the ramp with the front wheel and the whole angle changes. Same with unload. Best to jack up the front of the trailer with a bottle jack while attached to the bumper of the tow vehicle to make a smoother transition from the ramp to the trailer bed and prevents any possible bottoming.

The 1100 and Concours loaded without any additional modifications. I had to remove the flip over wheel chock for the 1300 due to the fact that it rubbed the lower cowling when the suspension was compressed with straps.
Pretty much same here (except for the knock off!).

-- Am pulling with a car, so tongue height is too low and ST points down and too heavy to unload (pull back up) by myself. So here too, I jack up the front of the trailer while still hooked up and no problem to unload by myself. No problem unloading without jacking up if you have help.

-- Flip over wheel chock rubs against cowling. Tried to protect cowling with rag, but it wears through. Am hesitant to remove the chock though, as it is, I think, what is holding the bike upright when loading by yourself (Not hard to do). Will need some kind of mod.

-- One drawback is lack of tongue jack. You have to unload the bike if you want to unhook the trailer. I had a stud welded on the tongue for a pivoting and removable jack.

-- Trailer is pretty bouncy if pulled empty, and cheap lights get rattled off too easy.

But all in all, love it.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I only used one once but with the low tongue and low hitch on my car the spare tire will drag on the ground when going over a low rise. The trailer's owner said he normally carried the spare tire in the back of his SUV.

georgiast

Failure is NOT an option...
snip.
-- Flip over wheel chock rubs against cowling. Tried to protect cowling with rag, but it wears through. Am hesitant to remove the chock though, as it is, I think, what is holding the bike upright when loading by yourself (Not hard to do). Will need some kind of mod.

I don't trust the chock to hold the bike up anyways.

I place the bike on the sidestand, attach the straps, and start tightening AWAY from the sidestand.

The slack straps on the sidestand side start tightening and there you go.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
snip.

I don't trust the chock to hold the bike up anyways.

I place the bike on the sidestand, attach the straps, and start tightening AWAY from the sidestand.

The slack straps on the sidestand side start tightening and there you go.
I'll give it a try, Thx.

Bike
GL1800
Have had the new style Kendon since 2003. Two rails with factory center rail upgrade although it is not essential. Towed a wing and an old heavy RT. Did great. Had to adjust the mirrors though.

Even a Wing on the side tows fine............but I still put in the center rail.........looks better.

Wheels chocks ok with everything I have tried. I drive my Wing right up and in. Tie downs of course. Much easier to load then a pickup.............I do both.

Handy...get the two rail version for sure............nice to have the option to take a buddies bike. Next year I intend taking 3/4 klrs to Seattle for trip to Alaska. Two on Kendon...........one or maybe two in the bed. John_Diego is in full glory ..........on our Borrego kLR "sand" domination ride.

Storage is where the Kendon really shines.........this is what a trailer does 95% of the time. I can stand it up by myself. Roll it anywhere with the casters.

Stands up anytime even in the snow..........nice to have a trailer some time. AZ in May ...really! Sometimes I do this in campgrounds too.

Tracks beautifully torison bar suspension is the key................rides level..........always.

I have unhitched mine when loaded several times Sometimes I load up early and stage it loaded in the garage. I bought the factory front stand but you do not need it. Just rest on the spare tire.

When fully loaded with a Wng plus it costs me maybe 2 mpg.

Last edited:
Top Bottom